RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Basically how long after switching to a reverse shift pattern did it take you till you didn't have to consciously think about shifting.
Over the winter I came up with sato reverse pattern linkage and a quick shifter. I was going to hook it all up last weekend but the friend that I ride with put doubt in my mind about switching. I have been flipping back and fourth since. I know why it is preferred on the track and have read other threads on reverse shift pattern which only adds to the doubt
I think it would be more of a unnatural feeling to pull up to down shift than pushing down to up shift. But the consequences would be opposite accidentally upshifting going into a corner would probably be a run off, accidentally down shifting coming out of a corner is a high side.
There is enough stuff you have to think about on the track and I don't want one of them to be which way to push the shifter.
Thanks,

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm going to my first track day next weekend after my conversion to GP shift. I made a sticker for the triple clamp to remind me. I've been lucky so far the couple times I have forgotten. Hopefully on the track at Tally it won't be a huge factor because there isn't a lot of shifting going on with 15/40 gearing. Just enough to acclimate me to the change. It has been odd at first.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Just do it, and if you don't like it switch back. That is the great thing about the sato knuckle, you can swap it either way with only one bolt. If you find yourself making mistakes with it, then go back to standard shift.

As with anything that you have changed since your last outing, be it track or street, take it easy until you get into a groove. It is a trackday, and unless you are trying to get time in at that specific track for a race at a later date then there is no reason to try your luck. Ride at a pace that keeps it fun AND safe, because trackdays are supposed to be about fun, and going home after one session isn't fun.

It really didn't take me that long to get used to it. Yeah, I still might miss a shift now and then but I still did that with standard shifting.

Best part is that it made it easy to use my free quickshifter:

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I've got the reverse pattern shifter on my '03, never gave me a moment's pause getting used to it. I thought it might be a pain in me bollix, and might want to put the stock linkage back on, but I love it the way it is. The bike is such a radical departure from my Goldwing, it just never causes me any grief. I don't do track days (no track close by anyway) and even if I did it would be purely for fun, my boy racer days are long over. Doesn't mean I don't want to have any fun though, and the GP shifter just adds to the mystique of the bike IMO. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I can ride either style and have no issues....if I can do it, anyone can...;)

Do you call that "ambishifterous"??:D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll put it on and give it a try since I already have it. I'm more intrested in the quick shifter going down the front straight away shifting with the throttle wide open is going to be so cool. I have a dynajet push sensor so I need to use the reverse pattern for it to work I believe. I still have two months till the first track day around here so I probably have a month of playing with it on the street. I'm going to be quick to bail on it though I can find enough ways to crash without shifting the wrong direction being one of them. Thanks for all the input I was ready to just sell it off so we'll see how it goes. I guess technically I started riding with a gp pattern and quick shifter back in the 70s on my Honda Z50
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
264 Posts
I rode a friend's R1 w/ GP shift for a few hours one day. By the end of the ride it felt pretty natural. I still had to consciously think about downshifting at stoplights but it was fine otherwise. If I had a dedicated track bike I'd probably go GP shift with it and standard for the street.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just do it, and if you don't like it switch back. That is the great thing about the sato knuckle, you can swap it either way with only one bolt. If you find yourself making mistakes with it, then go back to standard shift.

As with anything that you have changed since your last outing, be it track or street, take it easy until you get into a groove. It is a trackday, and unless you are trying to get time in at that specific track for a race at a later date then there is no reason to try your luck. Ride at a pace that keeps it fun AND safe, because trackdays are supposed to be about fun, and going home after one session isn't fun.

It really didn't take me that long to get used to it. Yeah, I still might miss a shift now and then but I still did that with standard shifting.

Best part is that it made it easy to use my free quickshifter:

Genius! Why have I never seen such a thing before? How was getting it adjusted properly?

Well said too.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Maybe this would help
Yep, you can see some of my posts in there as well.

Didn't take much to get it adjusted. Just fine tuning of where in the stroke of the shifter that I wanted it to start the cutoff. Funny thing is, I think that the more expensive dyno jet quick shifter doesn't allow you any adjustment at all. It only senses when there is pressure applied on the rod, not the actual position of the shifter knuckle.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have used it on my old track bikes when I was trying for lower times , having to bikes one with standard witch I ride daily . And the Rc I ride 1 to 2 times a week , leaving it standard also . Plus when I go to the track this it won't be for times , but just to have fun and work on my smoothness ,

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't remember seeing a slow RC...ha-ha. Looks like you had a good day. First time can be a little intimidating, but lots of fun. Hope to see you out there again. I'm planning a trip to Barber on the 25th.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You're too kind, I have new springs steel brake lines coming in this week i hopecould that'll make a difference at barbers. What are you going to do with the cbr? I never saw it on the track. Who are some of the guys that you deal with in getting your parts.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I installed the SATO GP shift and have loved it once I put it on. Yes I have missed a shift or two but was guilty of doing that with standard shift as well. I have done track days and rode long distance with it and don't have any issues. That is until I climb on my dads ultra and have to shift it (toe heel) LOL

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used Hord Power for my shock, Riders Discount, Statik Racing, Hard Racing, and Ebay for various other parts. I do a lot of price comparing and look for free shipping when possible. Parts are getting harder and harder to find for the 51's.

I never rode the CBR at Tally because my whole purpose in going was to shake down the RC after converting it to track only. I thought I might do a session just for fun-but whats the point in having a track bike if you aren't going to use it. If something had happened to the 51, I had another bike to continue my day on. I will probably take it to Barber as well as long as I have room. I wish someone else would ride share with me to offset the fuel cost of hauling. No takers on the SBC board as of yet.

The VFR shifter is what I used to convert mine. I still need to do some dry runs on the stands to try and figure out the best position to put it in. That may make my problem go away.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts