RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A random poll for our group. What's everyone's favorite driving movie?

I think mine has to be King Of The Mountain, from way back in 1981. Most of us probably have never even heard of it. Why is it my favorite?
- The driving scenes are real
- No overly Hollywooded or unrealistic made-for-movies scenes, just real driving
- The cops aren't magically completely incompetent or unable to catch the superhuman drivers
- It has a completely whacked out Dennis Hopper as the speednut supervillian :cool::D

Ok, you're up :)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Senna or Rush, the recent story of James Hunt were pretty entertaining.

For me, the Fast & Furious series has been the most interesting. I contributed to the script of F&F3 with knowledge of Japan's car scene and later bought all the cars that remained at the end of that movie, imported (back to Japan) & restored the 19 vehicles purchased from Universal Studios and & later re-sold them. It's not a very realistic movie series, but it's certainly helped raise awareness for Japanese sports cars. ;)

I much prefer my RC51 to any of those cars, but here's one. It's a famous car, but I prefer to call it a plastic pig. It's wide panels vibrated like a drum when driving on the road, but it was kinda hilarious - as people would frantically take their phones out to shoot pics as I went by - driving in Tokyo during the day. :D

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I've always like the Fast and Furious series too. First one still my favorite though.

Not really a 'movie', more of a documentary or mini series, but my wife and I are into watching
Lond Way Round (first season filmed in 2004)
Long Way Down (second season filmed in 2007)

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman ride motorcycles around the world.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403778/

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Both of the Long Way movies, Senna, And it's been a while, but I seem to remember a pretty good driving/chase scene in Ronin.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
pfffft ^^^ those aint old, lets try some classics before all the hoopla...

The Seven Ups, 1973
Mad Mad World, 1963

and if you like a little comedy in your chases,

Whats Up Doc, 1972

but yes, Ronin was good too...and the director had only one other driving movie back in 1966 with Grand Prix ;)

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yeah I'm old, oh well!

Corvette Summer (1978)

Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

Cannonball Run (1981)

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006) This movie is so cheesy and ridiculous, which I normally hate, but this one just cracks me up!

Mad Max (1979)

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)
I own all of those except Smokey & the Bandit.

I liked Gone in 60 Seconds and Angelina Jolie as a blonde blue-eyed, Ferrari tech that also happens to ride an MV Agusta F4 is just too much to like in a movie :)

Don't forgot Convoy, the Blues Brothers, Damnation Alley, Death Proof and The Car.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
The Car! I would have forgotten all about that one. Saw it at the theater in 1977.
Would be interesting to revisit that one after nearly 4 decades.

Maximum Overdrive, that crazy truck movie with Emilio Estevez, where possessed semi trucks hold the people at a truck stop hostage.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Senna or Rush, the recent story of James Hunt were pretty entertaining.

For me, the Fast & Furious series has been the most interesting. I contributed to the script of F&F3 with knowledge of Japan's car scene and later bought all the cars that remained at the end of that movie, imported (back to Japan) & restored the 19 vehicles purchased from Universal Studios and & later re-sold them. It's not a very realistic movie series, but it's certainly helped raise awareness for Japanese sports cars. ;)

I much prefer my RC51 to any of those cars, but here's one. It's a famous car, but I prefer to call it a plastic pig. It's wide panels vibrated like a drum when driving on the road, but it was kinda hilarious - as people would frantically take their phones out to shoot pics as I went by - driving in Tokyo during the day. :D

Stig, Did they actually engine swap an operating RB26DETT into the Mustang? If so was it 4WD?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The Car! I would have forgotten all about that one. Saw it at the theater in 1977.
Would be interesting to revisit that one after nearly 4 decades.

Maximum Overdrive, that crazy truck movie with Emilio Estevez, where possessed semi trucks hold the people at a truck stop hostage.
That reminds me: Duel (1971) where Dennis Weaver is traveling by car thru the desert on business and this evil looking tractor-trailor continually stalks him trying to run him off the road. One of the first scary movies I remember (and understood) as a kid!

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Two Lane Blacktop, the original Vanishing Point and original Gone in 60 Seconds. Hollywood Knights is another good one.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
No, no it's not LOL

That movie shall forever retain the title for worst editing and continuity of any movie in history.
Maybe but it still had a ton of cool cars and Michelle Pfiefer in white short shorts...

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
That reminds me: Duel (1971) where Dennis Weaver is traveling by car thru the desert on business and this evil looking tractor-trailor continually stalks him trying to run him off the road. One of the first scary movies I remember (and understood) as a kid!
Agreed, Do you remember the melody of the Truck's horn?

Baaaaah, Baaaaah, Bap, Bap, Bap, Bap .........

I haven't seen that movie since it was released but I remember that truck's horn sequence in the movie to this date. I think I have had a phobia of black tractor trucks since. :)

If we are talking scary vehicle movies, what about "Christen"?

If only our RCs could repair themselves after a high or low side!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts