RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK gang....I am sure now that I have a gremlin or gremlins somewhere in my bike

Last night I took her about for a ride to see if I could get the FI light to come on...no luck. A new system / issue did present itself. While riding on the highway about 70 mph...the bike completely shut off. I had power / gauge cluster stayed lit, but no read out... headlights stayed on as well but no throttle response what so ever. As I coasted to the shoulder all of a sudden she came back to life as if nothing was wrong.

I have checked all the wiring I could see and all looks / feels tight
The shop did the same and found no shorts or loose wiring
No codes have presented themselves lately, next step is to go to Honda and see if they can pull data straight from the ECM :confused:

Right now I am pretty frustrated and really need constructive help...so if all you have for me today is snide or snarky comments, leave them to yourselves ! :(

With that said, does ANYONE have an idea of where to look ? My worry is I will be out riding and she will shut down all together. Which may not be a bad thing ultimately because whatever failed will have finally presented itself..:confused:

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I had a finiky f4i that I traced to the main harness connector on the left side of the upper. A loose wire in the connector caused it all. Try pushing/pulling/wiggling that part of the harness with it running and see what it does. Try the other main harness connections after if that doesn't help (ecm, pc, etc).

·
Registered
447 Posts
In addition to the above, check the voltage at the battery while revving the bike at 4,000+ rpm and holding it there for a little while. If the voltage continues to climb above 15 volts, you could have a problem with the charging system. The ECU will only tolerate a range of voltages (say 10-15v) and it can shut down on anything outside of it's range.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...that is GREAT info...never thought about the battery kicking out too much juice or a wire on the main harness.

I will next try disconnecting the PC and see if that has any affect

It's just so damn hard to duplicate the problem it is driving me nuts !!

My suspicion is the ECM is going bad...but want that to be the VERY last resort !

·
Registered
5 Posts
From my own experience have a close look at kill switch, mine will kill the ignition but everything else will still work as normal, cluster, head lights even the starter.

·
Registered
863 Posts
From my own experience have a close look at kill switch, mine will kill the ignition but everything else will still work as normal, cluster, head lights even the starter.
Isn't that how the kill switch is supposed to work???;)

I feel the OP's pain. I documented on here about my bikes power cutting in and out intermittently but it was only happening on one cylinder. I checked plugs, swapped coils tested everything with a multimeter and everything checked out and I still couldn't get the front cylinder to fire. I ended up pulling apart every connector I could find and cleaning them with compressed air and adding dielectric grease to them and now she purrs like a kitten.

Check your wiring conections thats probably your problem.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Brett ...thanks...good idea - Talked to J Dog last night and he too suspects it's a grounding issue. Where'd you move to ??

Going to bypass the PCIII over the weekend I hope....I will let you guys know. My biggest problem is I cannot duplicate the problem nor is it a constant problem so I feel like I am tossing darts at a wall of "what could be"

·
Registered
447 Posts
IMO, you need to eliminate as many possibilities as you can by testing. Once you clean and confirm the grounds, confirm that the charging system is working properly, then you will have to search for bad connections in the harness. If the problem persists through that, you may have to look at the major components themselves.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
There's some good stuff in this thread.
Aus05 - examine kill switch.
jgos929 - EVERY connection_clean with compressed air, or Electronic Cleaner. That's what I use. Then jam a little Dielectric Silicone into the female plug before reconnecting.
b.miller123 - the grounds. remove everyone you can find, clean with a wire brush, dab a little dielectric grease then re-tighten.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep...all good stuff and will get started on it this weekend...and thanks !!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO, you need to eliminate as many possibilities as you can by testing. Once you clean and confirm the grounds, confirm that the charging system is working properly, then you will have to search for bad connections in the harness. If the problem persists through that, you may have to look at the major components themselves.
Hey 92...also good advice - I am just so dammed frustrated I don't know what to do ! :confused:

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Start with the simplest stuff first. Like we talked about on the phone last nite, you don't want to get into throwing parts at it right away. Good luck Raleigh. I'm betting jgos929 has the right idea. That's what I'd do first. Along with unhooking the PC. I'm pretty sure you have to lift the tank, and the harness plugs should be right in front of the seat, tucked down beside the frame. Examine that connector plug closely for heat, burn, tarnish/corrosion. Clean and Dielectric grease before replugging. Just tuck the PC connectors to the side and carefully lower the tank. It's real easy to pinch wires so be careful. Good luck, and keep us up to date.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Morning gents...and I use THAT term loosely

Disconnected the ECM
Cleaned both male and female connectors thoroughly
Used Dielectric Grease on both side
Disconnected other relays in the tail section and did the same

Connected everything back and I know this is going to sound strange, but she fired up "faster"?

Took her out for a short ride and had no issues, actually felt a bit better

Will keep everyone posted....thanks to everyone !

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Weird things happen, sometimes good! Glad to hear you got a positive start.
I'm a little confused. You said you disconnected your ECM. Did you mean the PC -powercommander? Is it still unhooked?
Or did you mean you unhooked the plugs at your ECM, and cleaned them. It's impossible for the bike to run without the ECM, right? Do you actually have a PowerCommander?
Did you find the Main harness connector plugs I mentioned by lifting the tank? That's where your PC harness will be connected to your bike's ECM harness. Right at the back of the gas tank on the left side.

Sorry so many questions, but I'm unclear...

Remember to set your clocks back an hour. Unless you live in AZ. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gotta shutdown problem too while we're on the subject

I bought a wrecked(mostly cosmetic) 01 last fall,put it back together and added a p.com.lots of fun, occassional trackday etc. usually runs flawlessly ,but occasionally I'll hit a sharp bump on the street and the bike sputter and stall. the sputtering is abrupt as if the ignition is being turned off and on.the strange part is when put in nuetral it always restarts but when shifter is engaged it stalls.(I bypassed the kickstand switch to be sure it was'nt the problem) usually after a short period of time I can get it going again(sometimes wiggling wires/connections etc. but not always the same ones)lately the f1 light comes on. any clues? getting frustrated too. thanks for looking.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Weird things happen, sometimes good! Glad to hear you got a positive start.
I'm a little confused. You said you disconnected your ECM. Did you mean the PC -powercommander? Is it still unhooked?
Or did you mean you unhooked the plugs at your ECM, and cleaned them. It's impossible for the bike to run without the ECM, right? Do you actually have a PowerCommander?
Did you find the Main harness connector plugs I mentioned by lifting the tank? That's where your PC harness will be connected to your bike's ECM harness. Right at the back of the gas tank on the left side.

Sorry so many questions, but I'm unclear...

Remember to set your clocks back an hour. Unless you live in AZ. :)
Hi Jon - Yes, I disconnected and cleaned both plugs at the ECM

Power Commander is still hooked. I am doing what you suggested and rule out things one at a time. Going to ride this week and see if it comes back. If so, then like you said, I will move forward and disconnect the PC as well as disconnect and clean all of the plugs at the wiring harness.

Trying to go slow and methodical and let all of my frustrations go...

Will keep you posted !

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK...rode into work this morning and had no issues what so ever...no lights...no stalls..no spitting or sputtering

1 - 20 of 26 Posts