RC51 Forums banner
241 - 260 of 272 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
2-5 more years unfortunately.
meh....all because you want to be a Jason Bourne.:D

We will need to have a talk about the Ape.....no hurries though. I may be in the area in July and have to take a look at her:cool:

Yes, this is officially dibs you bunch of hoarding cut throat pirates.:mad::D

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Ha my job is not that cool at all.

Consider the Ape saved for you. You know i'll give you a good deal on it.
Unfortunately it's in military storage, so i have no access to it until i move back. So you'll have to wait a few years.

But we can talk.

·
Registered
479 Posts
nice to see all those parts in one picture:cool:

My beast is ready to go. Everything is looking good and I will break it in the 1st week of march. Once it is broken in I am going to beat on it like it owes me money. At this point it owes me a lot.
I was looking to buy a set of hrc throttle bodies but i havent been able to find any of the other parts to go with them.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Yeah i got really lucky. I actually had the required parts years before i got the TB's. Everything but the tuner box, which you can still get. The ECU is key. Let us know about the bike Speedster, i remember you grabbing all types of motor bits. Must be a beast.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 · (Edited)
A little thread revival in anticipation of my return to the states and being reunited with my project SP1. Will be back at the end of May and will be moving to Long Island, NY where I grew up.

I've had 5 1/2 years to go through this build in my head. There will be a few changes, but with the Fireblade done, I am really looking forward to diving back into this build and coming back to the forum. Good to see some of the old guys still floating around and also a lot of new members with really nice bikes.....more to come shortly.

Picture of the bike as I left it.

Reactions: MJay and Motleyfan

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
OK.....here we go. Project officially proceeds forward starting today.

Reactions: Motleyfan

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Same here. At this point, the focus is going to be getting it roadworthy. On the side, i'll start a second engine build to go with the HRC stuff and once i have that together i'll swap it all out. I just don't want it sitting another 10 years.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Soooo.....i've finally been able to go through boxes and start laying out parts and it seems some things have gone missing through the last two moves....thank god, nothing crazy. Seems i'm missing a Matris Steering damper, a spare HRC basic racer harness, my original wiring harness, my battery tray and i think that's all for now. Everything else seems to have shown up. Fairings got scratched but are intact. frame has a few small scratches but i guess overall it could have been worse. That being said i'm on the lookout for an original SP1 harness and a battery tray if anyone has something laying around. Tray can be cut.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Found everything, tucked away in a corner sitting under a bunch of RS50 fairings.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
And it begins....

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
11 years later.....final touches before the first start since 2010.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Hey Paul! Taking shape at last. That's the way life goes sometimes, but I'm sure you'll finish her off beautifully and I look forward to following your progress.

I got my RVF400 inspected a week ago and have been using it. An entertaining little machine.
Must get my SP2 out this summer too!

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
Yeah the next issue is swapping out tires....New York is officially the WORST state in the US. Motorcycle shops are pretty scarce here and none of them want to do a tire change for me. The powder coated Marchesini's add a whole other factor to it. I finally found a shop that was going to swap the tires.....but it would take 3 days. I mentioned they were powder coated Marchesini's and the tech stated "uh...Yeah, I don't want to do those.". So that was that. Cannot find anyone within 2 hours in one of the most densely populated areas in the US who will do it.

Guess I need to get some tools and and start doing tire changes myself. Any suggestions on tools and setups would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I had a similar problem around 6 years ago, as I couldn't find anybody local to change tires on my Dymag carbon wheels. I learnt to do it myself, and have never looked back. Jondog9 was the one who coached me on this forum, on how to do it. His advice was golden (Pretty sure you'll find the thread here).

Also, some useful tools:

(1). I bought this recently, and plan to use it to change tires on my RVF400 this week (Which also has carbon wheels).
Looks like a clever tool, having seensome YouTube videos:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X4J75OI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

(2). Get the longest tire irons & some rim protectors. Motion Pro do some good curved tire irons & rim protectors.

(3). You'll need a decent, large compressor, to make the tires "pop" into position.

(4). For balancing, I use this tool (together with a pair of jack stands). It works great!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X4J75OI?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

If you search, you'll find some good YouTube videos, with instructions & tips.

I haven't managed to damage wheels on any of my bikes, since learning how to change bike tires.

Give it a go, once you feel confident. I suspect you'll be glad you did! Not so hard, once you know how.

Keeo us posted!

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 ·
Thanks Miguel, thats a good writeup and the kind of stuff i'm looking for.

I was looking at this setup as well.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I don't think you need that contraption, though I've not seen it work, either.

Just a well-made wall mounted lever system, to break the bead (Lay the wheel on wood, or rubber sheet on wood, if you can find the material), worked well for me, for years. I bought the tool I linked above, recently, as I want an even easier way to break the bead. You can use a simple tie-strap, to pull the tire into the (opposing side from where you'd lever) cup of the wheel & hold it there. If you use motion-pro rim protectors and take your time, I don't think you'll find it all that difficult. Maybe try it on another wheel (Other than a powder-coated Marchesini) first?

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Thanks for the help and suggestions Miguel.

After a ton of research I actually pulled the trigger on the olmax machine. Figured it would pay for itself after changing 4 tires anyway.
I've never done a motorcycle tire change or wheel balance. With the olmax I changed both tires and had both wheels balanced in 30 mins......that's with no experience and trying to figure it out on powdercoated Marchesinis. No damage to the wheel and it came with absolutely everything you need, including a balancer. To be honest, with this setup, you would have to be trying to damage the wheel in order to do so. Very well made setup and Lukas, the owner was really easy to deal with. Quality product.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
Bike is running strong. Brakes and clutch are done, Manual fans, new tires, just need fine tune and do a little cosmetic work and its done.

Reactions: ptensioned
241 - 260 of 272 Posts