RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got to vote for the Triumph Rocket III, the first time I pinned the throttle I almost lost grip of the handle bars, I simply wasn't expecting that much torque.

Edit: Can a mod please move this to the motorcycle lounge, mis-clicked.

·
Registered
84 Posts
as much fun as it is to ride you always have to have a little fear in you when you go out... that way it keeps your awareness up and you dont get cocky or stupid

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well what kills me is these people who 'stunt' on the street. I guess I just don't understand it, I'm not going to sit here and say these people are stupid, but in the same respect if they ran into me or hurt somebody else, they deserve what's coming to them.

But to the point, at first it was scary as hell when somebody would merge into your lane without seeing you, keeping an eye out and wondering if that person is going to pull out from the side street and straight in front of you, checking to make sure nobody is going to run a light or stop sign and slam into you. I mean these are all things, I will agree, you worry about when you're out on a bike. But the point of the thread was bikes that scare you, not really the people in their 8,000lb F550s trying to make the light (I just figure that's a given).

·
Registered
84 Posts
The year before I moved here to Texas, I traded my 06 GSXR600 to a guy for his 06 ZX10R. My bike was in excellent condition, with low miles. His was in good condition. He traded because he wanted a smaller bike. This wasn't my first litre bike..... as a matter of fact, I traded an 04 R1 for the 06 GSXR600.
So while riding one day, I went to change lanes on the highway while in 3rd gear... okay, I thought I was in third, secretly I was in 2nd. I was doing about 70mph. Looked back to make sure it was clear, pinned the throttle (while still looking back), and next thing I know, I am going down the highway with the front end lofted high in the air.... the gearing had been changed to -1+1 by the previous owner..... needless to say I almost crapped my pants. This was not my first wheelie, nor was it my first accidental wheelie with that bike. After that incident, I decided I was through with liter bike's (not including the Twin's). So I sold it, bought a GSXR750, stripped it down and gave up street riding and made it a track bike. Well that lasted a year or so... then I bought my Busa. Much more tame bike than the 1K's. Also much better for two-up riding with my wife, or daughters. I am now sworn off liter bike's. Not that I am afraid of them, but just don't need that much power in that type of bike.

Mo

·
Registered
110 Posts
most scary bike

at one point i made some articles for a european bike magazine, and we tested some bikes on the highway, i gave chase on my sportsbike mounted mates....on a yamaha TDM800, when ever the road twisted oh so sligthly, the yam wobbeled and weaved, it was like it was trying to tie a knot on it self, i got off the bike, thinking that the suspension was mis-adjusted or something, but it was set op right, then i thougth that somthing was coming loose, ie a wheel axel or so, but no....the bike was just so bad that it was feeling like the frame and reardamper was made out of chokolade....and when the SUzuki SV1000 came out, i think it was in 2004??? do you have that peice of crap over here?? well the bike was sort of ok...not brilliant..or deadly bad as the TL´s(wich can´t hold a line even if it life depended on it), but when we did some photoshoots two up, the bike transformed into a big peice of jelly, when changing lanes it wobbled all over the place and took long time to stabilize again, you need to change the reardamper with one from a gsxr on that bike, good engine but awfull suspension

the SUzuki people and the yam guys wasn´t so please over my articles:)

cheers

IV

·
Old & Slow Admin
271 Posts
The Muzzy 850 Raptor scared the shit out of me. 1st time I got to ride it (it was my friends) was at Daytona during one of the practice seesions at the CCS ROC. Coming off a 70hp Hawk, this 850 was just so fuggin scary rippin around Daytona's banking.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I don't think I've had a bike scare me (yet), but the circumstances have.
I was with a couple of buddies who were on their 600's and I was on my 'Busa riding through the countryside.
The 'Busa is a nice bike, but definitely not as agile as a 600 through tight twisties.
Well my buddies had built up a sizable lead on me through the turns, but once the road opened up I decided to go into hyper drive on the 'Busa an catch up.
So I had the throttles opened up quite a bit and was going about 160 MPH when the road showed a left hand kink I was familiar with.
So I slowed down a bit to make the kink and as I rounded the kink I noticed that my buddy in the rear had slowed down dramatically (around 40 MPH).
I knew I couldn't slow down in time, so I said a silent prayer that no one was coming in the opposite lane (not too much traffic in the country) and kept left and passed my buddy at about 140 MPH, scaring the hell out him in the process.
I rolled out of the throttles to about 120 when at the next kink my other buddy was doing likewise (like WTF?).
So I passed him on left at about 120 MPH while I was coasting down.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Me and my best friend he was on his ZX-11 I was on my 929 were riding south on I94 all of a sudden we heard a horn and a blue labo then it took off so we chased caught up and the race was on. we were racing for about 10 miles or so I got scared when I looked at my dash and seen that I was 198+ and by best friend and the lambo was at least 2 cars a head.

Wasent the speed that scared me but the fact that we were weaving in and out of traffic on the high way.

never knew who was in the lambo but he smoked our arse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Me and my best friend he was on his ZX-11 I was on my 929 were riding south on I94 all of a sudden we heard a horn and a blue labo then it took off so we chased caught up and the race was on. we were racing for about 10 miles or so I got scared when I looked at my dash and seen that I was 198+ and by best friend and the lambo was at least 2 cars a head.

Wasent the speed that scared me but the fact that we were weaving in and out of traffic on the high way.

Quoted for multiple levels of idiocy. If you ever have another moment where you feel the need to share such an amazing story, just let it go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Bro the majority of everyone on this forum at one point or another has broke 100+ on the highway so no idiocy here
Were there any modifications done to this bike to achieve such speeds? I believe the 929RR will redline at 181mph and is physically limited to (depending on which test you read) 160-175mph.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, seeing as you haven't replied in two days I'm going to assume you wont respond at all. Weaving in and out of traffic is STUPID and DANGEROUS in the first place, not just for you but anybody else on the road that feels they need to avoid you, that or any other cars or motorcycles you will run into if you go down. 100mph isn't stupid in a lot of cars or on a lot of bikes under a few conditions, you're smart about it and the vehicle can maintain these speeds with ease.

You didn't have this race, you probably just saw one driving around and thought it would be a cool story. Following a few of your previous posts I even wonder if you have a bike, let alone are old enough to ride anything larger than a scooter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to call the b.s. unless your bike been geared and your speedo is off and you was really running 160mph.
I have been 184mph in a c5 corvette and it seem like it take forever to go from 160 to 184 let alone 198+, The vette would take about 1 1/2 to 2 miles to go from 120 to 184 mph

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
The 1999 Hayabusa (pre-restriction) could only do 193 MPH in speed tests.
Wind resistance dramatically increases with speed.
The amount of power needed to attain 200 MPH (much less exceed it) is far more than what it takes to attain 160 or 180 MPH.
The 990 MotoGP bikes could do 217 MPH, but it took 240 to 260 HP to get there.
The 800 MotoGP bikes with 220 HP can do around 209 on a long straight.
So I'd say somebody's speedo is way off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have to call the b.s. unless your bike been geared and your speedo is off and you was really running 160mph.
I have been 184mph in a c5 corvette and it seem like it take forever to go from 160 to 184 let alone 198+, The vette would take about 1 1/2 to 2 miles to go from 120 to 184 mph
Alright, seeing as you haven't replied in two days I'm going to assume you wont respond at all. Weaving in and out of traffic is STUPID and DANGEROUS in the first place, not just for you but anybody else on the road that feels they need to avoid you, that or any other cars or motorcycles you will run into if you go down. 100mph isn't stupid in a lot of cars or on a lot of bikes under a few conditions, you're smart about it and the vehicle can maintain these speeds with ease.

You didn't have this race, you probably just saw one driving around and thought it would be a cool story. Following a few of your previous posts I even wonder if you have a bike, let alone are old enough to ride anything larger than a scooter.
First I never claimed to have gotten my bike up to 198+ I said I looked down at my speedo and seen 198+ which in reality when you factor the 10% min speedo error is alot less then 198. But engine wise my 929 isnt a 929 there have been some mods done yes.

Second I havent responded in 2 days, hmm lets see Oh I have a life and really dont need to spend days on a forum that I come to to get specific info about my RC51. I am sure I will be back here once I need more info about the RC51.

Thirdly I have several bikes the newest being the RC51, and I doubt you live close to me aircooled but if you do life in the midwest I am sure if you want to put your shit talkin up with your bike we could meet at a track and either put pinks or some cash up on a race. There is a track in Union Grove WI, Beloit WI (or is black hills in ILL) plus we got some tracks in Indiana or heck we could even do road america in northern wisconsin.

Lastly, I never said what we did wasent stupid I never said it was the smartest thing i have ever done cause truthfully it wasent, but the title in the post was has a bike ever scared you and I just posted the one time I have been on a bike and have been scared.

So insted of trying to single someone out take the thread for what it is a place to tell how a bike has scared you and with that I am gonna look up some more info then head to bed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm so scared!!!!!!!

Once in while I'll try something new......try a corner faster for instance. I'll scare myself a little but I learn from it. Keeps you on your toes, makes you not so cocky. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
First I never claimed to have gotten my bike up to 198+ I said I looked down at my speedo and seen 198+ which in reality when you factor the 10% min speedo error is alot less then 198. But engine wise my 929 isnt a 929 there have been some mods done yes.
Lets work on this one first. I'm going to take the "But engine wise, my 929 isn't a 929 there have been some mods done yes."

I thought I remembered your name from somewhere, I was right.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/81261-929-world-production.html

analyticworm said:
because my bike is stock or was before I got hit by the drunk driver.
Can you explain what mods were done to this stock 929? Or within less than 2 months did you somehow modify it enough to reach 200mph with snow on the ground? Also, the 10% speedo error, I'm not buying that; yes there is some error, but not that much when you're stock (maybe 5% both ways, +/-5% I could buy).

Thirdly I have several bikes the newest being the RC51, and I doubt you live close to me aircooled but if you do life in the midwest I am sure if you want to put your shit talkin up with your bike we could meet at a track and either put pinks or some cash up on a race. There is a track in Union Grove WI, Beloit WI (or is black hills in ILL) plus we got some tracks in Indiana or heck we could even do road america in northern wisconsin.
WHAT SON, WHAT!! OH IT'S ON oh not really. What kind of a child has to prove his point by trying to be faster than somebody else. Hell I could care less if you're faster in a straight line or around corners, I just ride because I enjoy the ride. I am out of competition for a few years though because I wanted to go back and finish my ME degree in college, but in 2012 if you want to race offroad, it'll be an experience you'll never forget. Tell you what, drop the attitude and we can be teammates.

Lastly, I never said what we did wasent stupid I never said it was the smartest thing i have ever done cause truthfully it wasent, but the title in the post was has a bike ever scared you and I just posted the one time I have been on a bike and have been scared.
Then why was it when I called you out on it in the first place, all you said was "Bro the majority of everyone on this forum at one point or another has broke 100+ on the highway so no idiocy here," instead of "yeah the speed was stupid, the weaving wasn't the most responsible thing I've ever done..." or something to that degree. All you're doing is coming here and constantly defending yourself instead of admitting fault. Your best bet at this point would be one of two things, PROVE me wrong and put a red cup in front of your bikes and take a few pictures (emphasis on the red cup), I wont even ask you for proof on the modified 929 with the conflicting stories; I'll let everybody else figure that one out. That or else just tell me the truth (and I'm going to be an asshole here because I don't believe any of your story).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts