RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a recent unfortunate incident....forks bent, front wheel damaged, bent steering stem, normal front end crash stuff if there is such a thing.
There isn't a MC frame shop in my area, and the it looks OK.....
Has anybody had an RC frame bend, or do they just crack like most cast aluminum stuff?

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
The damn thing is like a tank..

I've seen a Hayabusa crashed front end with 40mph and the frame cut clean right next the steering bearings. The front suspension never bent much.

I am satisfied to I know that my RC can go through a f**kin' car in a collision :D

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I'm in the process of repairing an RC51 for a friend, which we bought crashed (Search "So I bought a project last night"). It had been highsided on the road and hit an armco barrier front first (Previous owner was hurt but has recovered).

One fork leg bent, lock stop on lower triple broken off, clip on snapped at the clamp, snorkel and all plastics smashed to little pieces... and the back end was damaged beyond repair too with a badly broken subframe too.

After putting on replacement triple with new bearings, two fork legs, etc. We measured this bike against mine from several different positions & compared. Identical. Frame's not even tweaked.
If you look at how it's built it's pretty strong! Would have to be a very heavy impact (head on) impact to bend it, I think. Judging by the amount of people who buy forks and repair after an accident it seems to me RC51's don't bend that easily. But it's only the first RC51 I'm repairing...

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
The damn thing is like a tank..

I am satisfied to I know that my RC can go through a f**kin' car in a collision :D
Preferably not with you on it! :D

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
They use robot welders today, and if the robot is having a bad day, so does your frame weld.

There was a guy at a local bike shop that had his GSXR-600 snap in half during a track day.
The only thing holding the bike halves together were the cables and hoses.
He showed me the photos, and the first thing I saw was the welds were only present on the outer surface.
There was no weld penetration through to the inner portion of the frame spar.
I told him I think I knew why if failed, and so did he, but Suzuki wouldn't give him the time of day (because it wasn't on the street).
Then again, Suzuki had a recall for '05 GSXR-1000s for that reason as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts