RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that Nicki Hayden will ride for the Aspar Honda team in 2014 on a RCV1000R production racer.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I heard its not confirmed. Redbull is on board to sponser though. I read no seamless transmission and a couple other things if they go Honda

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
SubSailor, I caught that from the bike jacking link you gave earlier. I forgot to go back and read it.

Im not so sure the seamless tranny is any kind of silver bullet, if you know what I mean.
Lorenzo is having a time of it getting it to work. He got 'miffed' in the first couple practice sessions with it at Sepang.

I wish we could find out more about this production racer. I'm going to be very interested when they test it. It might even be first tested at Sepang, sounds like they spend a lot of time testing there in the off season?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
SubSailor, I caught that from the bike jacking link you gave earlier. I forgot to go back and read it.

Im not so sure the seamless tranny is any kind of silver bullet, if you know what I mean.
Lorenzo is having a time of it getting it to work. He got 'miffed' in the first couple practice sessions with it at Sepang.

I wish we could find out more about this production racer. I'm going to be very interested when they test it. It might even be first tested at Sepang, sounds like they spend a lot of time testing there in the off season?
This is what I am after.:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
That is great to hear Hayden is finally back on a proper bike! I love Ducati's, but the last couple of years, their GP bikes had been pure crap. Hindsight, I have gained a tremendous amount of respect for Stoner after the failed Hayden/Rossi/Dovi(and soon to be Cal) experiments.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Will the Honda production racer be a CRT bike? Or a Satellite bike?
Grisini has one of each this year, so it's feasible, but there are no other 'production racers', that we know of, so how could it be a satellite bike? Hmmmm.
As much as I like Cal, I'd like even more to see Hayden running his Honda in the front bunch, and I hope it out-performs the Ducati's.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Yeah, it's a shame the GP13 isn't competitive. Would be nice to serve some strong competition to Yamaha & Honda. I too have a respect for Stoner & what he was able to do on that bike. It's a talent gained apparently from his earlier years of riding damaged bikes he'd repair himself before getting back out there and beating others.

I like Ducatis too, although they're like Ferraris. Nice to look at, but running costs are prohibitive!

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

The Yamaha seamless gearbox is not the same design as the Honda unit, at least from articles I've read.
From the banter I've read, the Honda seamless gearbox is still the better unit, although the Yamaha unit seems to be working well enough.

What the seamless gearbox allows is smoother shifts that don't upset the chassis, especially in turns.
Also, since the timing between gears is much quicker, it shaves off milliseconds in lost time compared to the conventional gearbox, which add up during the coarse of the race.

There was another comment by Marquez where he mentioned his Honda auto-upshifted and he only used the clutch and shift lever for downshifts.
This is not to be confused with him upshifting by using only the shift lever.
He said he does not touch the shift lever at all, except on downshifts.

It's been long known that these bikes have the capability to have track maps loaded onto their ECUs and the optimal shift points mapped in conjunction with GPS.

I'm guessing the Honda seamless gearbox is using a similar design to the DCT system used on the VFR1200, where two gears are engaged at one time and the clutch for that gear disengaged until needed.

Prior to the VFR1200 release, there was a video on Honda's web site showing a side view of a DCT equipped VFR1200 on the dyno compared to a regular non-DCT VFR1200.
During full throttle runs, the DCT bike hardly moved, whereas the the regular gearbox VFR1200 showed suspension movement for each gear change.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
There's got to be some similarities with gearboxes on paddle-shift sports cars nowadays. Makes sense to use this technology, but of course it's expensive to develop for a GP bike.

Maybe next year we'll see it on satelite bikes too. :)

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
That was a juicy article! Lots of changes in the CRT riders, and their bikes.
I found it interesting the Aleix Espargaro wants to move to NGM and ride the Kawi. Maybe with Colin Edwards, if he re-signs. Espargaro even willing to trade his 100.000 Euro bonus to do it (for winning the CRT best rider). He's been kicking ass on the Aprilia he's riding this year.

And it looks like there will be at least two more, maybe three, of the production racers on the track. Aspar might get two of them, and Cardion AB might get one. Good, cause Cardion's Aprilia hasn't done much at all this year. I know, Abrahams had injuries, but still.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's got to be some similarities with gearboxes on paddle-shift sports cars nowadays. Makes sense to use this technology, but of course it's expensive to develop for a GP bike.

Maybe next year we'll see it on satelite bikes too. :)
F1 cars use 4000 PSI hydraulics to shift, and work the clutch.

Ever seen the size of a modern F1 clutch? Incredibly small.
The clutch basket on an F1 car will fit in the palm of your hand (more like the size of a 125 cc or 175 cc dirt bike), and handle almost 1000 HP.
Uses reinforced carbon-carbon (RCC) clutch plates using 4000 PST hydraulics for engagement force.

And for another unbelievable side note, one notices how quick an F1 engine stops when switched off.
The chief engineer of an F1 team was asked about this and he said that with the engine running at 19000 revs, it only takes .2 second for the engine to fully stop.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I love this:
Aspar also had the option to run a Ducati GP13 as a customer bike with the spec Dorna software, but with Dall'Igna just arrived and little chance of any updates to that bike, it was not a promising option.
Not promising - Lol. Ya think? :D

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I was shown a Honda F1 piston a few years ago and asked to guess what the stroke was in an F1 engine. I forget exactly, but I think it was something like 17mm. That's why they can rev so high. Amazing about the clutch. Didn't realize they were so small!
There's all sorts of technology that exists which we won't see for a good many years. Pneumatically operated valves are in use on factory bikes. Just imagine. variable valve duration profiles and major changes possible simply with mapping that is switchable on-the-go. More engine braking when desired, etc. Seamless gearboxes... I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future they have electronically adjustable suspension settings depending on corner being attacked. Makes our bikes look all the more agricultural. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
There's all sorts of technology that exists which we won't see for a good many years. Pneumatically operated valves are in use on factory bikes. Just imagine. variable valve duration profiles and major changes possible simply with mapping that is switchable on-the-go. More engine braking when desired, etc. Seamless gearboxes... I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future they have electronically adjustable suspension settings depending on corner being attacked. Makes our bikes look all the more agricultural. :D
Stig, that's all old news in F1.
Back in the good ole 90's, they had fully active suspension (no shocks or springs), traction control, anti-lock brakes, active braking control (brakes on the inside to tighten the cornering), variable down force rear wings using active suspension, electronic differentials (Ferrari), pneumatic valves (first on Peugeot F1 engine), semi-auto gearboxes, CVT transmission (never raced), etc.

Then a few years ago, they had remotely modifiable engine/gearbox mapping to go with the telemetry (ultimately banned).

Active suspension example on the Williams FW15

As for bikes, there's Ohlins Mechatronics, which is optional on the Ducati and BMW bikes. You can store maps of your suspension settings.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/543/15082/Motorcycle-Article/Ohlins-Mechatronic-Electronic-Shock-Review.aspx

Years prior to the announcement of Ohlins Mechtronics, Ohlins used to offer an optional remote damping adjustment system for forks and shocks.
It had a control module with an LCD display that mounted on your tank or top yoke.
It allowed changing fork and shock compression and rebound adjustments on the fly
via push button.

I used to have the user guide, but lost it when my hard drive crashed quite some time ago.
It would auto detect when the fork or shock modules were connected, so you could switch fork or shock setting modes.
The current Ohlins Mechtronics system is the outgrowth of that project.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
F1 cars although their technology is jaw dropping just haven't ever excited me. I haven't watched an F1 race in about a decade and the last time was just by chance.
I never miss a Moto GP race though, lol. One is infinitely more interesting to watch than the other I guess. ;)

Interesting on the Mechtronics Ohlins setup. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts