RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just trying to find a set of pipes that I like so I can put together a nice exhaust system. I have 2 requirements I want it to tuck up high so it follows the line of the sub frame better and I need to keep a set of passenger foot rests.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent exhaust that fits the bill or can anyone tell me the diameter of the exhaust header where slip ons connect?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sell the RC51 and swap it for a ricer in line 4? Hell no. Mind you. I have to actually buy the bike first. I'm still at work for another 2 weeks so I'm just doing some research for the changes I'd like to make.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. I thought I was on an RC51 forum. Not sure why you're trying to steer me away from the SP2. I'm not after a different bike. Just looking for some basic information on the diameter of the header pipe so I can look around for suitable candidates for a custom system. Or information on a system that may already fit these requirements.

By the way. I already have a Ducati Diavel and CRF 250M which I also ride regularly. I have a girlfriend that loves riding with me hence the reason for needing to keep the passenger footpegs. I'm not after comfy and I'm not after something that will do long trips with easy. My Diavel is great for that. Its just a little fat in the ass end for decent track days. Like I said. I'm not after advice on which bike to buy. I can make up my own mind on that front. I'm just after some basic information to help with researching the mods that I want to make.

But thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Well you are looking at a bike that is a relic compared to your Diavel. It is a horribly uncomfortable bike on its best day, with dismal fuel mileage and with a passenger on the back it's even worse in every possible regard I can think of.

Virtually nobody bothers to make a decent exhaust for it anymore especially high mount versions and if you do find a good brand that will do it then them expect to pay a very high premium for it and even more on top of that for custom brackets to retain your passenger pegs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm buying specifically as a project bike. If I wanted the biggest and the best v-twin sport bike then I'd buy another ducati. I've had my share of inline 4s. I've got a nice Ducati that I can keep riding but apart from a few bolt ons like some carbon panels and putting the ohlins on, I don't really want to go any further with changing that bike. This bike however was a fantastic bike in its day and is still a great looking bike. But its at a price that I don't mind stripping it down and doing some custom fab work. Thats why I wanted the diameter of the header pipe so I can narrow down my list of cans that would suit. I'm thinking of using stubby pipes that are not too long to aft of the passenger foot pegs so only the extended header pipe will be behind the pegs and the cans will mount off the sub frame further back. Its not hard to get some custom foot rests machined up. Labor and machining costs are pretty cheap here in Thailand.

Just like my Diavel. There are only a few exhaust options and half of them are fairly high prices so I did my research and discovered that using an Arrow link pipe let me use any of the exhaust options for a BMW S1000RR. It all just bolted on very easy. I know it won't be so easy with this bike though.

The RC51 is a bike that I've always wanted to own. Its a shame that after market parts are getting harder to find but that just means my bike will be even more unique if I have to make some custom parts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hindle may still have some on clearance. Check their website, they also still had some foot peg brackets last time I talked to them. They only sell close out stuff direct. They have a link on their site for these items.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Hi Steve,

Pre-Welcome to the RC51 club!! I have only owned my '04 two weeks but love it already. I am not trying to modify it yet, just trying to get it cleaned up and tuned (last check, rear master cylinder brake fluid reservoir was empty :confused:) I haven't started tuning her up yet but she starts on the first compression stroke and idles without even chocking. It sounds a little rough compared to an inline four but that may be it's nature.

The header and link pipes come in many different sizes so you will need to clarify what maker of pipes you can buy in Thailand.

All the high mount (the ones that follow the subframe) pipes I have seen for the RC51 do not have provision for passenger steps. It is hard get them since most are no longer produced.

This ebay seller (I have no affiliation with him is selling a stunning set of pipes, no passenger steps though) There are many famous makers that used to sell high mounts for the RC51 but most are no longer produced.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODUwWDEyODA=/z/JTYAAMXQyY1TUdg4/$_57.JPG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guys, I've had a pretty good look around and most of the high mounts that I've seen all have the can hanging from the foot rest mounts. I'd like to try and push them further towards the back of the bike so that I can position them more outwards so it would look a little like a semi under tail system. But still allow enough room for the tail lights with a tail tidy underneath. Doing this should also let me keep the rear foot rests as well.

There are lots of quality stubby pipes around now and I'd like to try and get something to match the same OD of the header pipe to make it a little easier and look a little nicer with less welds or steps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here you go...custom made if you want.

Also, High/Banzai mount exhausts and passenger pegs don't mix well.

http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8470
This is why I would like to push the cans toward the back so just the link pipe is behind the foot rest mounts with the cans behind. I'd just have to have a think about a heat guard of some sort and whether the pillion's feet would rest on the exhaust cans. That is why I'd like to maybe find something that tapers down towards the front so it won't hit the pillion's feet. I have a couple of cans in mind but they all have a large through pipe that may be too big. I guess the other option is to mid mount some stubbies like I have on my Diavel. That would be even easier and still tidy up the back end. I just don't like massive big cans on the back taking all the focus. Its like a woman with a massive set of tits. Not attractive but they take your attention. haha.

Now that I can post pics. Here is a pic of my Ducati Diavel with the Yoshi pipe that I custom fitted myself just using off the shelf parts. The can is listed for a BMW S1000RR and the link pipe is from Arrow and can be bought separately. It all just bolted together with no problems and for me it looks good. I was thinking of similar cans on the back of the SP2. They even come standard with carbon heat shields. You can also get almost an identical pipe from Akrapovic if you prefer. Lots of options. Just need to do the research to see what will fit and at most get custom link pipes and maybe mounting brackets made. Its not a big project to do.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Welcome toughnut. i see LDH has been rattling your cage! Actually, there's probably no one that knows our beloved RC51's better than he does. He's done extensive research, testing, and tracking of them. He also made the Rouge site that we all refer to each other all the time.

http://www.rc51.org/mod.htm

Give it a visit if you haven't already, tons of useful info, dyno results, and mods that work and those that don't.

As for custom exhaust, we have a member here, albert666, who has made a couple lovely systems for one or two members here. If you want completely custom, check him out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha. No problems with LDH. I'm just a newb on here and expect to get a bit of flak until people get used to me. Like most forums there would be a fair share of people that come on here, make 1 or 2 posts then just leave.

As for the exhaust. I've read through the link that was posted earlier in this thread with albert666's work. Very nice and very clean. For now I'll get something fitted up locally. I don't have all my tools here in Thailand. They are still sitting at home in Australia so I have to rely on local businesses and its not so easy to find quality work but there are a few places around. There is a local Thai company called TYGA that make some billet parts for the RC and they are willing to have a look at other parts that I need machined up. Their work looks pretty good and its a fair price.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm at work on a drill rig for another couple of weeks so I can't get the bike until I get home. There is a verbal agreement but we all know that you can't take people at their word any more. So hopefully the bike is still available when I get home. I've always liked the RC bikes and it will be nice to have a bike I can do some decent work on instead of trying to change the ducati.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts