RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have had the plastics off for about a month to do some maintenance work. get the bike all buttoned up this morning, and the headlight arent lighting up?

what gives?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Does the highbeam work?
Are they plugged in ( :D )?
Anything else not working?
You're certain the bulbs just aren't burnt out?

There is an interrupt switch that cuts power to the headlights when you thumb the start button. I know nothing about it, but I'd probably start with researching that if none of the obvious checks pan out.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything else is working, highbeams don't come on either and I can't hear the relay clicking. They were working fine before. I'll check the fuses. The only fuse block is next to the coolant overflow correct?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
How were the fuses OP?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
none of the fuses looked blown, the 20a headlight fuse looked fine, didnt see any bare wires at the front harness. i'm puzzeled. they worked just fine when i took the fairings off.

if i hook a multimeter up to the headlight harness with the ignition on, shouldnt it read 12 volts?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You should just check the fuses with your multimeter set on ohms / resistance Ω. Resistance should be at or really close to zero. You can make sure your meter is on the correct setting by touching the probes together and seeing a zero or close-to-zero reading. Sorry if you already knew all this.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need ideas here fellas. I put new fuses in, the battery is good and not even 6 months old. Wires look fine, what else could it be? The bike starts and runs fine and all other lights work.

???

·
Registered
184 Posts
You need 12v and ground at the lights, you might have lost the ground, you can put the meter on d.c. volts and check across the headlight connector, if no 12v check both sides with black lead to negative on battery. sorry don't have wiring handy for colors. you have wiring/manual? trace backwards to fuse for power, and inspect that kluge of connectors under sidepanel. And headlights should read 0 or close to zero ohms across the terminals. Hate to say it but closely inspect everything you might have touched

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, so both bulbs are fine (hooked them up directly to the batt) i have 12v at the 20a headlight fuse slot, i have 12v at the black and red wire of the highbeam relay connector, i swapped a known good relay to the highbeam connector (fuel pump relay) and the lights still wouldnt come on, both headlight harnesses indicate proper ground.

i'm not getting 12v at the headlight harnessess

·
Registered
184 Posts
don't have wiring in front of me, don't think the lo beam goes thru relay- the start/stop switch hi relay for hi beam. check all the wiring/handlebar connector switches and interconnects? display work right?hi beam indicator?relay have ground? Ill bet you smack yourself when you get it

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good thing I have my old man around. Spent a hour troubleshooting a 1 second problem. Worked the starter switch for a bit and viola. Guess the starter button was slightly seized

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Good thing I have my old man around. Spent a hour troubleshooting a 1 second problem. Worked the starter switch for a bit and viola. Guess the starter button was slightly seized
Might want to take that apart and dob some dielectric grease to protect and lube that area. Glad you found it.

If you see and corrosion in there, clean it first with a good electronic cleaner or rubbing alcohol with a swab, then apply the dielectric grease.:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts