RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2000 RC51 SP1, I am new to this bike, only have had it for a couple of months. After I went riding one day I took off the rear seat/cover and it was very hot in the compartment below the seat/cover. it seemed to be coming from an electrical box maybe a transformer on the left side of the rear tail. Has anyone had this occur and is it a problem or just something that I am not used to yet? Please any advice would be great thank you.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
The finned box is the voltage regulator/rectifier.
While they can get hot (reason for cooling fins), I don't think they should get super hot.

They have been known to fail due to overheating, causing either no current to the battery or over-charging of the battery.

I'd grab a digital ohmmeter, and with the bike switched on and running, and with high-beam on, check the voltage across the battery posts with the bike at 4500 RPM.
You should get around 14.5V DC. It should NOT exceed 15.5V DC.

·
Registered
215 Posts
^ I have always noticed how hot my rectifier would get (to hot to touch), so I just measured my voltage as you suggested around 4500 rpm. I am getting about 15.1V. I wonder if my rectifier is on the way out the door? I should probably do the upgrade.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Try it again with the revs at 5000 RPM.
If it gets up to 15.5v, it's time to replace the rectifier/regulator.
That 15.5v can damage the battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ I have always noticed how hot my rectifier would get (to hot to touch), so I just measured my voltage as you suggested around 4500 rpm. I am getting about 15.1V. I wonder if my rectifier is on the way out the door? I should probably do the upgrade.
What is the upgrade you are referring to? I would like to know more about that, Thank you

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I thought you would ask! Here is a link to a great thread on "How To" install an Shindengen MOSFET regulator/rectifier. This is the upgrade I'm referring to

http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6540
I'm following that thread too.
Tommysixgun, are you going to do that upgrade?

Now I'm all focused on my R/R. Not showing any signs of failure, but I'm going to go test it. I've been riding in some pretty warm weather lately (who hasn't) and thinking about the heat that the R/R sees.

·
Registered
215 Posts
^ well I was thinking about it I'm not sure, it would be nice to have a more reliable R/R I don't like how my factory one is putting out over 15V. But then again thats probably normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts