RC51 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys? I'm a former '06 600RR rider, I've always wanted an RC and it looks like I found one that is a phenomenal deal. My question to those of you that have one now: how much do you use your bike for commuting? If you do, what would make it better? I did a lot of city riding on my RR and my only real complaint was the wrist pain. I'm thinking some Convertibars might solve that issue...anyone try these or have another suggestion? Or are you completely opposed to anything but weekend twisties and tracks?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What's up guys? I'm a former '06 600RR rider, I've always wanted an RC and it looks like I found one that is a phenomenal deal. My question to those of you that have one now: how much do you use your bike for commuting? If you do, what would make it better? I did a lot of city riding on my RR and my only real complaint was the wrist pain. I'm thinking some Convertibars might solve that issue...anyone try these or have another suggestion? Or are you completely opposed to anything but weekend twisties and tracks?
Hi Taj,
Absolute insanity !!! Commute on an RC51 !....
maybe cause I'm getting on in age & the physio bills get expensive.
But the RC is not built for the every day traffic crawl.
This is an almost race bike as it is. They dont like slow moving traffic , lurching in 1st gear , when you could be breaking the suburban speed limit in 1st gearplenty left to go! Overheating & being hell on the wrists ( not so easy at carving up parked cars)
Seriously , yes you can use them to commute, particularly if its a bit flowing & better if its twisty. But the 600RR is much easier on rider.
If you love your bike , you will ride it as much as you like & enjoy the pleasure (even if it hurts some days)
Because it is an RC51 .... If you have the love you will understand.

Suggestions: Powercommander to clean up the surging at low speed .
Convertibars , great idea!
Soften up the compression.

Enjoy the ride ...knowing you are on a special motorcycle !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well seeing as how I dont have the money to buy two bikes right now, I'm probably gonna just stick with the RC since it is within my budget. All I did was commute on my 600RR, and a touring bike it was not. I think some Convertibars and a cozy seat will help a little. I already live in the city and I work shift hours so I go against the grain of rush hour traffic anyway. With the HOV lane (carpool lane), I never have to sit in stop and go so I personally think it will be alright.

Yes I know, I asked for an opinion, but I guess I didn't really care...haha. The wife is just gonna have to wait a few years before she can sit on the back of a Goldwing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to the brotherhood of RC51's
Sounds like you were already convinced to own one.
I am sure you will enjoy the ride !!

·
Registered
332 Posts
They are awesome bikes, but allowing for daily riding comfort... not so much.

You'll love it though.

Helibars are a good option which make them much more enjoyable as well as the ones you mentioned.

Ride safe and enjoy bro!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello!! I have not long owned my RC51 here in England judging by the amount of miles some bikes I have seen for sale (30K + miles ) with lugage racks on them as well, people do use them for all kinds of riding. Im 6 foot tall and find after about 60 plus miles it does get a little uncomfortable but Im on a RC51 so lifes good. I have a 1999 R1 as well and have all ways wanted a RC51 since they came out new so ten years later I got one well worth the wait. So go for it they are awsome. Good Luck:)

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
The only problem I have riding my RC51 in town is that everyone is too slow. :)
That bike just brings out the hooligan in me. It just loves to be turned loose.
On my FZ1, I have no problems running around posted limits on the freeway, but that RC51 doesn't even feel at home unless it's running 95+ at least.
Twins just don't sound like they're going that fast. That's the seduction behind them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts