RC51 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My name is Michael and I am a long time motorcycle rider (30+ years). I am currently riding MX (2005 KX250F) but I am looking at RC51's for the future. Is there any other bike out there?
I found this forum by searching for RC51 performance on Google. Looking forward to talking with everybody about performance add-on's, riding spots, gear, etc...
Ok, so I'll ask my first dumb question right off the bat. What happened to Sato Racing. I was under the impression they were the premier exhaust builder for the RC. I visited their website and only saw low-mount slip-on set ups. Are they all done with full exhaust systems for this bike or, is there someone else out there building a good full Ti system?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
they arnt building anymore and only the low mounts are left. when those are gone thats it. Bummer, i know. Its like the rc51 was built in the 80s or somthing. Nobody but a few specialty shops make anything for it anymore. You wouldnt think they ever existed if you where to look in my Dennis Kirk catalog! GSXR cookie cutter syndrome latest greatest is all that counts with anybody. Thats why im proud to be a member of this forum, we got class!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they arnt building anymore and only the low mounts are left. when those are gone thats it. Bummer, i know. Its like the rc51 was built in the 80s or somthing. Nobody but a few specialty shops make anything for it anymore. You wouldnt think they ever existed if you where to look in my Dennis Kirk catalog! GSXR cookie cutter syndrome latest greatest is all that counts with anybody. Thats why im proud to be a member of this forum, we got class!
Amen screamin chief!!
Seems like all I see on the road any more is GSXR 1000, Busa, or R1's. Not that I think there is anything WRONG with those bikes, just.... Well, not original. I love that V-Twin sound!!!!! I was riding a friends RC once and stopped at a gas station where a group of Hells Angels were fuelin' up... I thought "oh man, here we go" But it was completely the opposite! A few of them came over to me and were asking all kinds of questions about the bike. They just kept telling me how sweet that bike was. The bike just oozes POWER and commands respect. I do like the Ducati's and Aprillia's but there is something about that RC.... Can't wait 'til I'm financially ready for my own. I'm hoping to find a SP2, Silver, Black and Red or maybe the Nicky Hayden edition.
So, what kind of exhaust do you all recommend for these bikes now, since Sato is obviously out. Erion? Micron? Also planning on the Sato rear sets, Power Commander, and maybe Ohlins suspension. Any other suggestions? I had heard something about these bikes having issues with running hot and that there was a radiator mod, removing side radiators and replacing with front mount rad. Any comments?

·
Registered
71 Posts
usually most people remove the right side radiator fan and reverse the polarity on the left fan. then some water wetter and youre good

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Amen screamin chief!!
Seems like all I see on the road any more is GSXR 1000, Busa, or R1's. Not that I think there is anything WRONG with those bikes, just.... Well, not original. I love that V-Twin sound!!!!! I was riding a friends RC once and stopped at a gas station where a group of Hells Angels were fuelin' up... I thought "oh man, here we go" But it was completely the opposite! A few of them came over to me and were asking all kinds of questions about the bike. They just kept telling me how sweet that bike was. The bike just oozes POWER and commands respect. I do like the Ducati's and Aprillia's but there is something about that RC.... Can't wait 'til I'm financially ready for my own. I'm hoping to find a SP2, Silver, Black and Red or maybe the Nicky Hayden edition.
So, what kind of exhaust do you all recommend for these bikes now, since Sato is obviously out. Erion? Micron? Also planning on the Sato rear sets, Power Commander, and maybe Ohlins suspension. Any other suggestions? I had heard something about these bikes having issues with running hot and that there was a radiator mod, removing side radiators and replacing with front mount rad. Any comments?
depends how much money you want to throw at it. stock these bikes are great! Yoshi makes a hi mount system for them. Two brothers still makes them but i dont know if they have high mounts or not. Im not exactly flowing in money so i have had to nickel and dime it. Mine started out a total rat bike with flames and everything! Had to paint it in the garage, rear sets from the phillipines (still nice), Jardine 2-1. Like i said cheap but its still an rc51! And it totally puts a smile on my face. My local shop employees are always asking to buy it. If only they knew how it started out. Personally id love to afford an 06 in black and make mine a track bike

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are a few near you. I'm just up the road from you in VA( about an hour and a half away) and I found mine in NC. Last time, I really searched there were 3 that I can think of in the area.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I have an '02 SP2 and it only runs just a few degrees warmer than my '06 FZ1 in traffic.
My FZ1 fans turn on at 212 and the engine only gets up to 218, my RC51 fans turn on at 217 and it only gets up to 221 at most.
The fans cool it down to 209 within a few minutes.
When traffic picks up it stays around 205 and on the freeway or country roads, it can get down to 180.

The SP1's only had one fan which was changed to two fans on '02 due to heating issues.
Just make sure the fan(s) spin properly. I changed out both of my fans in '08 due to one fan's bearing starting to squeak. Plus I repaired a leaky left radiator and flushed the coolant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts