RC51 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not currently a RC owner yet, but Im hoping to change that in the next few weeks if I find the right bike. I've been riding for about 3 1/2 years now and love every min of it! I had a 600rr, then a 06 R1(which I just went down on, RIP) and now Im looking for something with a little more push to it.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Welcome to the group!!

The R1's got a pretty big "push" in it's own right.
The RC51 may even seem tame compared to that.
However they are fun in their own way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really? Which bike do you have more fun on, honestly. Your CBR or your RC? I had a blast on my R1, I was hoping that the RC would almost be more fun in the twisties because of the tq.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I rode a friends, briefly a few times. He bought it used and didnt give me the full rundown of mods but it has pipes, geared, and I think a commander on it. Seemed like a blast for the short period I rode it. I did notice once you get past 100mph it kinda loses its push. But he loves it and says he'd take it over his 1000rr and his brothers ducati 1098 that he rode for quite a while. (I personally want the 1198, but the price ughhh)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Honestly, I have more fun on my CBR than I do on the RC51. The CBR seems so effortless to flick. The RC is a pig and I knew that going in. The CBR seems way faster than the RC, until the RC comes alive around 7500-8000 RPMs. Then they seem equally as fast. Part of the power issue you're feeling could all be gearing. My CBR is 16-42 stock geared. My RC is 16-40 stock geared. Maybe its just me though. I like both my bikes equally, but I have more fun on my CBR!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well, I rode a friends, briefly a few times. He bought it used and didnt give me the full rundown of mods but it has pipes, geared, and I think a commander on it. Seemed like a blast for the short period I rode it. I did notice once you get past 100mph it kinda loses its push. But he loves it and says he'd take it over his 1000rr and his brothers ducati 1098 that he rode for quite a while. (I personally want the 1198, but the price ughhh)
If it lost its "push" after 100mph then he has the gearing all outta whack. I have 15/42 on mine and it pulls hard all the way to about 160mph. If he would take it over a 1098 then he is definitly in love with it or he's just plain nuts. Usually its the other way around. Most 51 owners and vtwin owners for that matter would only trade up to a 1098/1198. The 51 is a whole different animal. The 51 as its so commonly refered to is a pig. The R1, 1000RR or just about any I4 litre bikes would be considered a gazelle. Thats literally how big of a difference there is between the two. The 51's are great in turns because they are a very stable bike and great confidence builders. But they simply cant hang when it comes to competing with a I4. A novice rider on an R1 or whatever will beat a good rider on a 51 anyday. Im not trying to talk you out of getting one I just think you'll be disappointed with it after you get it. But hey if you really want one bad enough mine will be up for sale soon. Its in great shape and has a bunch of mods.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just went from an 05 R1 to an RC51 and I can't complain. The R1 didnt do much until 9k whereas the RC cuts out around 10K lol. But honestly it depends on what kind of riding you do. I was doing alot of trackdays on the R1 and it was starting to feel heavy to me after owning a race prepped SV 65o (RIP). I havent done a trackday on the RC yet, but as others have stated... the thing feels like a john deer tractor around town. Once at speed tho it feels stable and turns ok. I recently rode one of my favorite canyon roads last weekend, and i cant say that I was going much slower than i did on my R1. It's just DIFFERENT that's all. R1 - 180hp, RC - 120hp + some lbs, prolly not gonna outrun the R1... but this V twin feels and sounds awesome! Plus R1's are a dime a dozen IMHO. It's no Ducati, but it's a great bike for the money :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the RC, love it so far but I'm itching to do some mods to open her up. It feels a little sluggish now.

-1/+1 520 setup, stock cans, ASV levers, flapper mod. I just threw on rotor revolution rotors, carbon L sbk pads, and pilot power 2ct's (55 rear). Soft rev kit and PAIR kit is on the way.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Well it looks like you're off to the right start.
Just curious, but what is your opinion on the turn in response of the 190/55 over 190/50?

·
Registered
422 Posts
welcome dude

·
Registered
46 Posts
Really? Which bike do you have more fun on, honestly. Your CBR or your RC? I had a blast on my R1, I was hoping that the RC would almost be more fun in the twisties because of the tq.
I just came off a 2008 CBR1krr and had R1 and GSXR liter bikes before that.. the RC isn't even close in performance to those bikes. It's more comparable to a 750 or even some new 600's but it turns like a truck in comparison to those smaller I-4's. The new liters like the CBR are even lighter with supersport like handing, so the bar has been raised to crazy levels. The reason I bought an RC over another I-4 liter was because I came to the conclusion that I have more fun making a slower bike go fast than I do going fast on a faster bike. Not sure why, maybe it's the challenge or maybe it's just the difference in the way the power comes on. All I know is, the most fun I ever had on 2 wheels was on my KTM Superduke and that bike only made 105 hp. Twins are just a different animal, you either love them or hate them. I don't have enough seat time on my RC yet to know if I love it or not. I know I love the sound, the low end grunt and it's stability but I won't know how it feels on the edge till spring. I don't think I'll be out cornering anything I've owned previously, if anything it might be harder. I hope so anyway..;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the short amount of seat time I had on a RC51 with a 190/50, the 190/55 seems to help convince the bike to dip in faster and it felt more stable to me. I haven't pushed to hard yet being that I only rode it for about 20 min yesterday after I threw the tires on. (weathers shitty)

If I cant keep up with my friends with their newer 1k's, my next step will be the 1198 next year. I have a feeling with a pipe, commander, intake setup this thing should hold its own on the street. Under 140 of course. My R1 pulled like a freight train above 140.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts