RC51 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, just wanted to finally drop a note to say hi....I recently picked up a 2003 RC and absolutely love it. The guy before me kept it in good shape...it is basically all stock except for dual Jardine carbon fiber exhaust.

I have not ridden it much since I bought it, but I did notice the gas mileage is not as good as my R1....I think I am getting about 85 miles/gal before the reserve light kicks on....I am curious to know what others are getting on their RC's.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Welcome to the group!!

Are you sure about those mileage calculations?
If you're getting 85 miles/gallon, then Honda want's that bike back.

If you're talking 85 miles/tank, then you're getting realistic.
If you baby it, the RC51 can get into the high 30's, but hold those big throttles open and low to mid 20's are typical.
On and average basis, I get from 113 to 130 miles/tank.
Less if I spend more time over 100+.

·
Registered
863 Posts
85miles to a gallon!!! Wanna trade bikes??? I think you meant 85miles to a tank like sub said. That my friend is no good your bike has a problem. Are you blowing any black smoke out the exhasut, is it popping all the time on decel, do you have a power commander? Even with an insanely rich map you should still get 100 or better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry guys, i meant to say 85miles/tank...i wish i had the problem of 85miles/gal...lol.

bike runs fine as far as I can tell...I don't have PC installed...I was thinking I should install the PC to help up the miles/tank but don't know if that would help??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Excuse my EXTREME ignorance. Most of my motorcycle riding/racing was done when most sport bikes still used carbs and Flat-Slides where the thing to get! Stage III Jet Kits and pipes were the main mods to them. Timing Advancers were what was up.

Ok, so I've got my SP1, and am pretty sure it's got a PCIII but need serious education on what exactly a PC does vs timing advancers and the sort. What's the difference between PCIII and PCIIIUSB? I mean besides the mapping. I guess I just need to know what precisely does the PCIII do, how much HP is expected from getting one, and does that USB on the end mean you can plug it into a computer to get different maps. About the maps, how do you go about deciding what custom map is the right one.

If this post is all over the place and hard to decipher, well .. it's because it is, and I'm pretty much lost with this topic. i've taken a break from bikes for a LONG time since I went all militant. Been too busy deploying to keep up with ANYTHING, but I'm trying to do some catch up now.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!
Best way to get good fuel mileage, Keep your wrist out of it!

Big horsepower/torque equals bad fuel economy!
85 to a tank??? I think his problems are much bigger.

Ok, so I've got my SP1, and am pretty sure it's got a PCIII but need serious education on what exactly a PC does vs timing advancers and the sort. What's the difference between PCIII and PCIIIUSB? I mean besides the mapping. I guess I just need to know what precisely does the PCIII do, how much HP is expected from getting one, and does that USB on the end mean you can plug it into a computer to get different maps. About the maps, how do you go about deciding what custom map is the right one.

If this post is all over the place and hard to decipher, well .. it's because it is, and I'm pretty much lost with this topic. i've taken a break from bikes for a LONG time since I went all militant. Been too busy deploying to keep up with ANYTHING, but I'm trying to do some catch up now.
First you need to see if you have one. You say your not sure then you ask about the usb port on it. Do you have one or not it will either be in the trunk or under the seat. Second there is no difference between a pc3 and pc3 usb except one uses a serial port and the other uses a usb port. There is no difference in the mapping either which is why pc3r maps can be used with the pc3usb. The pc3 only adjust fueling it will not adjust timing. That was not an option for our bikes. Unless you have the 9volt adapter that allows you to remove the pc from the bike you'll need a laptop and a usb cable to program it. Choosing maps is simple just go to the pc website download the software to your computer then enter your model bike and it will download all the available maps. Then just pic one that is closest to what mods you have upload it to the pc3 and go out and rip. There is a help link at the top of the software that will show you everything I am talking about. Just an FYI though GET A CUSTOM MAP !!!! No canned map will ever compare to a custom one. Its hard to determine what the hp gains are from a pc3 alone because all it does is clean up the fuel map and allows everything else to work in a perfect sync and hit that perfect a/f ratio. A better running bike obviously is making more power but I haven't seen any dyno sheets showing a stock bike and then the addition of a power commander.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok .. here IS the update to my earlier post about my RC51.
- 2000 SP1 - Jardine Slip On
- No PC - Flapper Valve Work
- Removed Rev. Limiter

Bought the bike from a friend that works with me. Rode it for three days before putting it in the shop because it kept back-firing when i closed the throttle while riding. Mechanic said a coupling or something like that was dry rotting, allowing the engine to suck in more air or run rich or something along those lines. I get the bike back in a few days, then will purchase a PCIII USB. I've heard mixed reviews about the Airbox mod so not sure if I'll go that route. I may change the pipes to Sato Low mounts. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Airbox mod?
It modifies the OEM airbox by cutting out part of the front half and installing a mesh and filter element similar to that used on the Turn One/Durbahn airboxes.
Brings the airbox volume up to around 11 litres vs 24 for the T-O/Durbahn units.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Excuse my EXTREME ignorance. Most of my motorcycle riding/racing was done when most sport bikes still used carbs and Flat-Slides where the thing to get! Stage III Jet Kits and pipes were the main mods to them. Timing Advancers were what was up.

id say by you list of bikes, you have definitly caught up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts