RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking to pick up another helmet and i was curious as to other riders' testimonials on what they use so lets hear it!

Ryan

·
Registered
82 Posts
I used to swear by Arai but just picked up a Scorpion EXO 1000 and am very happy with this helmet. Fit and finish are great and the drop down visor is a great feature, I go to work at night and ride back in the daytime so do not have to worry about sunglassed or carry two visors. I got this on closeout so was very cheap but the prices are very reasonable, unlike the Aria's.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
I wear glasses, so the primary feature I bought the Scorpion EXO-1000 was the inner visor.
I have never needed to use the inflatable cheek bladder.

I actually preferred my EXO-700s vent system and view area.
I really loathe the pop-out chin vent and the pop up head vents on the 1000 over the slide up vents on the 700.

If you tilt your head at just the right angle, the chin vent starts whistling like a flute, except it sounds like a car's radiator fan.
It totally freaked me out the first time. Thought a car was real close in.

Quite honestly, it's been a good helmet, but I would love it if other brands would follow suit with the inner visor. Or if Scorpion would incorporate the inner visor on the 700.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
i am kind of a helmet collector, i've owned and used on a daily basis most brands.

Suomy Spec 1R and the Arai Corsair fit me great. Very comfortable and secure. Airflow is good too.

i own a few AGVs, the airflow on them is great

I've owned HJC and KBC and both are good deals for the money. Good looking helmets for a decent price. Picked up a KBC Repsol replica for 130.00 and its one of my favorites, they have a few on ebay right now for 130.00 free shipping. Its also DOT/ Snell approved. Can't beat it.

My next Helmet will most likely be an OGK. I've heard really good things and they are not too expensive at all compared to Arai, Suomy, AGV etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used to wear a KBC, I think it was the 2000VR or something like that, but I switched to Shoeis. The RF1000. I absolutely love it. Pity they stopped making the RF1000.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
shoei is nice too, never owned one though

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
i've heard good things about the shark helmets. i almost bought one awhile back.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I have my RF1000 Zemke I will be retiring. I am looking at the Nexx helmets, the Cafe Racer is very nice, very light and ultra quiet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am a big fan of the Shark RSR2. My Arai RX7 was worn out and I picked up the RSR on clearance. Worth every penny. I like it better than the Arai. The venting is better, it's quieter, the "crumple" zones in the shell, the fit/finish all are top notch. I do not have an issue with fogging on this lid. If it does, I just crack it a bit and done. Removing the shields are super simple, especially coming from the Arai. Push a button, lift the shield, done. The best part is the shield. It is a full 3mm thick and takes quite a beating. I know I've purchased a few Arai shields due to rock chips that crack over time. I've had my Shark for 2 years now and no chips or scratches.

The only item worth mentioning, for me, is it fits a bit small. I take a medium in the RX7 (with a large interior, but smaller cheek pads, as the shell is different between the medium and large) and a large in the Shark. They both are a medium oval shape (in between round and oval) and fit me perfect.

I have the clear shield with tear-offs and purchased the dark tint. The dark tint is very dark. But they do offer a medium tint as well. Shields are $75 each, OEM pricing. But can be had cheaper other places.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
I am a big fan of the Shark RSR2. My Arai RX7 was worn out and I picked up the RSR on clearance. Worth every penny. I like it better than the Arai. The venting is better, it's quieter, the "crumple" zones in the shell, the fit/finish all are top notch. I do not have an issue with fogging on this lid. If it does, I just crack it a bit and done. Removing the shields are super simple, especially coming from the Arai. Push a button, lift the shield, done. The best part is the shield. It is a full 3mm thick and takes quite a beating. I know I've purchased a few Arai shields due to rock chips that crack over time. I've had my Shark for 2 years now and no chips or scratches.

The only item worth mentioning, for me, is it fits a bit small. I take a medium in the RX7 (with a large interior, but smaller cheek pads, as the shell is different between the medium and large) and a large in the Shark. They both are a medium oval shape (in between round and oval) and fit me perfect.

I have the clear shield with tear-offs and purchased the dark tint. The dark tint is very dark. But they do offer a medium tint as well. Shields are $75 each, OEM pricing. But can be had cheaper other places.
I really want the Troy Corser replica RSR2. the RSR2 or OGK FFV5 are my next.
Just bought a Brand new Suomy spec1R Toseland replica yesterday for 240, with an extra tinted lid.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wear a HJC FS-15 Carbon. It's shape is perfect for my head, it's one of the lightest full face helmets out there, and it's reasonably priced. It has good ventilation and the noise level is acceptable. It was the webbikeworld #1 helmet the year it came out.

Fit is the most important factor in buying a helmet, so what works for me or someone else could be the most uncomfortable/unsafe helmet possible for you. So try before you buy!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Shark !!!!

I have 2 RSR's and LOVE them. They are very light, great construction, & the air flow is great. I have had Arai's and shoei's and no comparison. Especially for the money it's a no brainer. Try it you won't be disapointed. Hoovy

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
picked up my Shark RS2S this afternoon, it the model ABSOLUTE and its a little tight around the cheek so im probably going to take apart the stitching and make it a little smaller. but so far it seems great and it was only worn once and i picked it up for $200

1 - 20 of 53 Posts