RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sp1 wont stay on in when i put her into 1st, and idles low in N and is kind of sputtering was running fine dont know what is wrong HELP MEEEEEE!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
my sp1 wont stay on in when i put her into 1st, and idles low in N and is kind of sputtering was running fine dont know what is wrong HELP MEEEEEE!!!!
check your kick stand switch and associay=ted wiring...

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks tried that and still nothing, when im coming to a light and downshifting the rpms drop real low and it would stall out when coming to a stop

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Search Fuel pipe regulator.....and then check it.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Search Fuel pipe regulator.....and then check it.
What the @#!*% is that? :rolleyes:
I know, just teasing, you meant Fuel Pressure Regulator, FPR.
That was my second thought. My first one was to get the idle adjusted correctly to 1300 rpm. The adjuster is on the right side, near the top rear of the right fairing. And make sure the choke is pushed all the way in. It's on the left side. (I know that's a no brainer, but it happens to people).
If that checks out, then proceed to checking your FPR.
If you just pull the small vacuum hose off it, there should be zero signs of leakage. turn on your key to allow the fuel pump to prime and watch that small vacuum fitting for gas dripping while the hose is off. Since your tank will be raised, check that all of your gas hoses are routed properly, especially the gas tank vent hose.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
What the hell is that? :rolleyes:
I know, just teasing, you meant Fuel Pressure Regulator.
That was my second thought. My first one was to get the idle adjusted correctly to 1300 rpm. the adjuster is on the right side, and you should be able to see it easily if you loosen the big Phillips bolt of your fairing.
And make sure the choke is pushed all the way in. (I know that's a no brainer, but it happens to people).
Good catch...habit of making fuel pipes part of my life:D

This is unusual, most folks rarely ride their bikes with this issue, at least not very far.;)

gts sent me some micro brew from Colorado and I am half lit:D

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Good catch...habit of making fuel pipes part of my life:D

This is unusual, most folks rarely ride their bikes with this issue, at least not very far.;)

gts sent me some micro brew from Colorado and I am half lit:D
Well, not to one-up one of our esteemed constituents, but if I send you some of the microbrew from northern CA, you'd be fully lit!!! :D

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Well, not to one-up one of our esteemed constituents, but if I send you some of the microbrew from northern CA, you'd be fully lit!!! :D
People keep sending me micro brew....I may have to start a blog:D

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fuel pressure regulator is that an expensive or hard fix? Im not very mechanically inclined lol. it's pretty much when I'm downshifting the idles will go low and once I put it down in 1st the rpms would go low and it would stall out. Second issue I was having was when it was in N it would stay on with a little throttle but when I let go it would not idle steady and it would dip down in rpms and then when when it was in 1st it would just die out. This is the only real problem I have had from her, im just wondering if this is like a pre cursor of major problems to come or expensive repairs shes got a pc3 USB idk maybe that doing something but it was running fine before this

Btw thanks guys for all your advice guys its nice to have guys that can provide direct answers to a problem, any more advice you guys may have I would love to hear it

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
...The fuel pressure regulator is that an expensive or hard fix?...

Consult the service manual (available for free download in PDF format, if you haven't already - search for the link to it). See this guy's post (as well as a few others on the board RE recent discussion about the fuel pressure regulator):

http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=48034&postcount=3

Should be able to find a new FPR for around $40 or so at any of the "fiche" websites out there (ie - Ron Ayers, etc) - look under the "throttle body assembly" diagrams for it.

G'luck !

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW! ok great information guys thanks, im gonna have a look into this for sure, the pictures help for a mechanical idiot like me. JONDOG ur pics are lifesavers!
seems like its not that hard to find and replace.

thanks guys Happy riding

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update: rode her around today she seemed fine actually, but my avg temp was like 180 vs the 210-217 it was the day i took her out and had the idle issue. is this a heat related problem perhaps? should i still replace FPR and spark plugs?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
You should at least check your FPR like we suggested earlier. If nothing is wrong, than you can eliminate it as one of the likely problems. After all, that's all repairing your bike is about. Eliminating the likely sources one by one.
Thanks for the compliment on the pix. They really can be worth a thousand words, but that rarely stops me from using a thousand words. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok at hanks for the input Jondog and ya the pics definitely help a mechanical idiot like me so I'm always greatful for relative pictures. I'll b tearing her down this week to do oil change and perhaps the FPR and spark plugs

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Dont know if anyone answered you on price but mine was like 50$ at honda

1 - 16 of 16 Posts