RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2002 RC51
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I apologize for all the questions. I've searched quite a bit but some threads get to be so old pictures no longer work, etc..

I'm looking for clarification on my forks.

Backstory: when I purchased my RC a few months ago, it came with a second set of full factory used forks. Word was the previous owner (owner before who I bought it from) took the bike to a Kansas city honda dealer for seals to be replaced. He got the bike back, apparently the tech buggered up the seals, oil was leaking bad after the service.
Somehow or way, instead of fixing the problem, the PO sourced a second set of forks with good seals and installed.

I'm hoping the original forks aren't messed up internally, because they are about to take a trip to Dan Kyle for the 20mm ohlins rework.

So on to my question, how different are sp1 vs sp2 forks? The forks on the bike (from unknown year) have a brighter shiny fork tube, with a faded gray bottom.

My second set (I believe original to my 2002) have a similar tube finish, although appear slightly darker gold/bronze color with black bottoms.

I'm looking to confirm the forks off of the bike, are sp2, before the ohlins upgrade. Plus I'm just kinda curious.

I'll throw up a few pics, thank you so much gents!!!

Eric

·
Registered
2002 RC51
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And quick last question. If I remove the bottom silver little rebound canister/resiviour is that safe? Is it pretty straight forward to remove/replace without 10 small parts springing out at me? Any gaskets?

I'd like to drain a little of the oil and clean up in there before I ship them out. Not a must, but just a idea..

·
Registered
2002 RC51
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, they look the same right, and same as my 02 oem forks. Maybe the set on the bike the black just faded with use and age?

That's crossed my mind as well..

Forks off the bike have the showa decal, ones on the bike do not. (Obviously not much clarification there)

Both top pieces above the triple are silver, with a hint of blue, the ones off the bike are a tad more bluish than on the bike..

Again could be faded as you mentioned.

·
Registered
352 Posts
MCF is Honda center code. MCF is for RC51 models. MCF-A21 IS SP2 fork. MCF-003 is SP1 fork with grey axle lugs as opposed to black on the SP2 models. Other differences are the Fork caps totally different. SP1 has large spring preloaded compared to SP2. First pic is SP1, second SP2.
Blue Wood Wood stain Engineering Gas
Camera lens Automotive tire Automotive design Cameras & optics Lens

·
Registered
2002 RC51
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The OEM (MCF) number on the bottom of the upper tube is the determine the correct OEM forks you have.

Sure enough, right under my nose.. thank you Chaos!!

MCF-A21 on the bottom of my extra set of forks so they are correct for my 02. I lucked out!!

Interesting, 3 different part numbers of forks for the RC after looking at all part numbers;

Sp1's. MCF-003
Sp2's (2002-2004) MCF-A21
Sp2's (2005-2006) MCF-D31

Microphone Cylinder Gas Tints and shades Font

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
I realize that you posted - Your sending a set to Dan Kyle.. Excellent choice. Suggestion, when you replace the sets, Put green tape on the set you remove (safety pro-caution)
Keep the set you remove... Stand the set in a climate controlled closet. DO NOT SALE... the SP2 forks are becoming obsolete.
Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
2002 RC51
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
D31 for black models due to change in the upper fork color. Last 3 in a Honda part number for changes in materials, paint or design change while still for same model series.

Man thank you so much.. awesome info..

Relieved my factory (extra) forks I have are correct before getting them upgraded.

Is there anywhere, or a P/N I'm not seeing for those little o-rings on the bottom compression valve?

Honda parts I'm not seeing those listed anywhere

·
Registered
2002 RC51
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I realize that you posted - Your sending a set to Dan Kyle.. Excellent choice. Suggestion, when you replace the sets, Put green tape on the set you remove (safety pro-caution)
Keep the set you remove... Stand the set in a climate controlled closet. DO NOT SALE... the SP2 forks are becoming obsolete.
Just a suggestion.

Yes. Absolutely.. good thought for sure. I'm learning to keep and source parts already after only 2 or 3 months of ownership.. lol

Interesting @10THbikE post regarding sp1 vs sp2..

Based on that info (for the forks currently on my RC, not my sp2 extra forks) they look like maybe the grey axle lugs, with the smaller preload adjusters from a sp2 fork.. ??

The pics above you can see what's currently on the bike, (no showa decals) here are the preload adjusters..

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bicycle part Gas

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Gas

1 - 20 of 42 Posts