RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 03 with 8200 miles will not start. it'll crank and crank but won't turn over. a new battery made no difference. i had new plugs put in in february. it rode perfect as always when i parked it, came out the next morning and this...

anybody got any ideas before i take it in for a pricey fact finding mission?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure. the pcIII is clicking on when i turn the key. it's weird, i have full power to everything and it'll crank to the moon, just wont turn over.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Turn the key to on. Then flip the red switch on the right by the throttle to on. Listen for the fuel pump to prime, it will be a whinny noise. If there is no noise then unplug your power commander and connect the stock plugs together try again. If still no noise then check your relays in the trunk. I had one go bad on me and it did the exact same thing as your bike is doing. The relay for the high beams is the exact same so you can try swapping them out to determine if thats the problem. Good Luck and let us know

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Normally, when the key is switched on, the fuel pump will whine for a few seconds and then stop after fuel pressure is reached.
If it doesn't, then it can be the relay, the stop switch, or other electrical issues.
Three out of four relays on the bike are the same, and as JGOS said, the headlight relay is handy to use for troubleshooting if you suspect a relay problem.

Download the service manual from this link to help with electrical issues.
http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

The UK service manual has both SP1 and SP2 models.
Just use the "U" (for universal) wiring diagram to troubleshoot.
About the only difference is they show the eyebrow lights that we don't use.
It's a better scan quality than the SP2 only manual.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. yeah the pump was priming but i noticed the highbeams weren't clicking on either. took it yesterday, find out what it is tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts