RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i'm a new member from CT. -i always wanted an RC51 since i first saw one - i currently have a 02 954rr that i want to trade for a rc51 - i have a couple people with 02 rc's that want to trade - the one i want has blown fork seals from wheelieing ( i can replace the seals myself - thats not an issue) - the bike has 17k miles with 520 conversion 15/45 - no speedo healer. my question is - should i be concerned with alot of wheelieing? does the motor starve of oil from excessive wheelies? the bike has alot of upgrades but not sure if i should stay away and trade for one of the others that are taken care of better but with less upgrades - thanks and any advice would help

·
Registered
21 Posts
You may need to replace the internals as well as the seal on the forks... Also check the Forks, rim, triple clamp and frame for cracks and/or trueness... shouldnt have and Oil issues, less he was pulling past 12 oclock w/ a tail slider (not likely)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks rakriege, the guy is not responding to my calls, but if i do get to look at the bike i will check out where you said to look, i'm hoping to get an RC before winter so i can ride it this year

·
Registered
425 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm from RI. Good luck with finding your RC.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Welcome Bull! I'd be worried about 2nd gear with all the wheelies. I've seen two other bikes have that problem. 15/45 wouldn't be fun for normal riding. 15/42 or 41 is the most popular. I run 15/42.
Depending on how long he's been running 45 tooth, the mileage may be way less than the 17,000 showing. That ratio is off by about 15 -20% of stock, so without a healer...

If you can get a SP2, they are just a little more refined than the SP1's of 2000 and 2001.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts