RC51 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just joined, im over in England and have a 2000 model which i love! it decided to leak out all of its coolant on the one hot day we get over here, i refilled the system but now it takes ages to register any temp on the gauge, can ride for nearly 5 miles before reaching 30c after riding for 10 or so miles while at idle it will just splutter and die, i have to keep the revs up to keep it going, it also feels a lot hotter than the gauge is saying, any help would be appricieted!! cheers

·
Registered
149 Posts
The bike sounds air-bound, meaning there is a big bubble of air in the cooling system. Perhaps someone with a manual can step up and instruct you how to bleed it. If not, Google search the topic, such as "refill coolant on RC 51".
Sorry, best I can do,
John

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
To purge the system of air after installing coolant, you have the bike on the sidestand, then crank the engine and run for a few minutes (not long enough to heat the coolant) to circulate coolant, then rev the engine several times.
Then shutdown the engine, remove the radiator cap and check coolant level.
If low, add more coolant. Then add coolant to the overflow tank to the middle of the Hi-Lo marks.
Worked fine for me when I installed the radiators after reassembling the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts