RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
anybody run hid lights in there rc51.

Yes, I do....I like them a lot. Where I live is relatively dark at night and the HID's give me a bit more brightness over non HID. Unfortunately mine are not true projector type HID's as I did not want to do major cutting and fitting. Do a search for older posts and you will see many threads on this, and then go from there !

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't ride much at night, but I installed them because I think they help make you more noticeable to other traffic. HID's still aren't the norm so they register more easily in people's brains. That's my theory anyway.:)

I also installed a time-delay relay on my low beam so it doesn't turn on right away, giving me a chance to start the bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I see your point of view b.miller and there is some truth to that but I would rather be noticed and get a second look than to be missed and pulled out on. I guess its a decision of which is the lesser of two evils!. I have them on my SP1 (UK) and I think they are so much better than standard. I would love to convert my headlights one day to the projectors but for now the extra lighting is welcome on my very dark way home at night.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run them and love them. Parts of Highway where I live are in need of some extra lighting to keep me from speed snuggling leaping Deer.
I went with an Ebay special though and it's a great example of spending money twice to get what you want.
The Ballasts are giant, and the lamps don't lock into place in my headlight housing.
I'll be getting a direct fit kit if I can find it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've been running the same HID since late 07? Love them.!! I think they've saved my ass in the day and at night. Not sure if they were 5 or 6000k now?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Nope, they look cheesy and throw tons of glare into oncoming traffic. When I am on the road, that is the last group of people I want to blind.

For a minute there I thought I hacked your account :eek:

Quit pissing on the poser parade let them justify their silly parts anyway they can besides the more distraction they can generate with the bike the less people are likely to notice the 1" pussy stripes on their tires :D

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
For a minute there I thought I hacked your account :eek:

Quit pissing on the poser parade let them justify their silly parts anyway they can besides the more distraction they can generate with the bike the less people are likely to notice the 1" pussy stripes on their tires :D
Thought I was the only one who didn't like those things?

I find it odd that people use them. I've ridden at night with guys who have them, and oddly enough my stock halogens spread a nice even area of white, usable light right through their gooey-bluey nonsense.

Yes, during the day they will get you noticed due to the amount of glare that they throw off. It is light sent in the wrong direction, the same stuff that blinds other drivers or distracts them at night. Simple solution: ride with your highbeams on during the day, shut them off at night. Doesn't cost a dime, is safer, legal, weighs less and doesn't require hacking up your wiring. I'd bet a few dollars that a stock highbeam can be seen much further than an hid kit during the day.

Yes, hid lights are the next generation of lighting. However they require the use of projectors or correctly designed reflector housings to direct the light. If you want to see what proper hid lights look like head on over to the hidplanet forum. Be sure to check out the hid fail gallery stickied at the top of this page: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?34-Output-Shots-amp-Beam-Pattern-pics

1 - 11 of 11 Posts