RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have HIDs? where did you mounth the ballasts? more hackjob shit by the previous owner is causing me to find a different location for the ballasts.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I do, I used slim digital ballasts and mounted them underneath the upper cowl using heavy duty 3M Double sided tape. Have not had an issue. It was a tight fit and took a bit of finesse to get everything clean but worth it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats where mine were but they are huge! i might have to break down and get a new set with small ballasts.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Just take them out. You'll still be able to see, and be seen just fine. As a bonus, you won't blind oncoming traffic, or be breaking the law.
I have had too many people over the years pull out in front of me. I don't care if I blind on coming drivers, so long as they see me coming. However, I only ride during the day and run 4300k.

I hate the blue HID's as they are ridiculously blinding

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I have had too many people over the years pull out in front of me. I don't care if I blind on coming drivers, so long as they see me coming. However, I only ride during the day and run 4300k.

I hate the blue HID's as they are ridiculously blinding
No offense, but making your headlights into something you can't (or shouldn't) use at night doesn't make much sense. If you want to be seen during the day, just use your high beams.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My guess is the OP means the headlight socket mount is hacked up to fit the HIDs and he can't just plug H4 sockets back in. But I have been wrong before. :p
yes sir that is what i meant but after further looking i noticed that there is one plug. i just need to find out whether it is high beam or low.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Post up pictures and we can help figure out your options. The high beam will be the only one that can reach to the right side of the bike, the low beam will be too short to get there. Of course hacked up wiring can make anything possible...

The "plug" or socket should look like this, but will only have two wires going to it (the RC51 uses H7 bulbs, which can use an H4 socket with only two wires going to it)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Post up pictures and we can help figure out your options. The high beam will be the only one that can reach to the right side of the bike, the low beam will be too short to get there. Of course hacked up wiring can make anything possible...

The "plug" or socket should look like this, but will only have two wires going to it (the RC51 uses H7 bulbs, which can use an H4 socket with only two wires going to it)

Do you know cheap source for connectors like this? Im going to pull my hids as the ballasts are a pia...but im also looking for similar, smaller style connectors for the in lamp directionals..I found a set that I think would work at pep boys, but at 13 bucks a side it felt like a rip off...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts