RC51 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 03 last November. The bike runs great, but the idle seems to be high. With the idle adjustment backed all the way out, but bike idles around 1400 RPM. After about 30 miles the bike idles around 1600 RPM. Any ideas on what might be causing this or where to start looking?

The bike is basically stock. It has Arrow cans, K&N air filters and one or both of the sprockets have been changed. The flapper valve still appears to be connected, and I hit the rev limiter this morning in 1st, so I'm pretty sure the soft rev mod has not been done to it. No Power Power Commander.

Thanks,
Daris

·
Registered
86 Posts
I picked up an 03 last November. The bike runs great, but the idle seems to be high. With the idle adjustment backed all the way out, but bike idles around 1400 RPM. After about 30 miles the bike idles around 1600 RPM. Any ideas on what might be causing this or where to start looking?

The bike is basically stock. It has Arrow cans, K&N air filters and one or both of the sprockets have been changed. The flapper valve still appears to be connected, and I hit the rev limiter this morning in 1st, so I'm pretty sure the soft rev mod has not been done to it. No Power Power Commander.

Thanks,
Daris
Possibly either the choke/cold start or fast idle mechanism on the throttle body arrangement may have become stiff or seized. Might be worth a look and a quick spray of WD40 :)

Im sure someone else will be along with other possibilities :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The choke cable seems to be working fine. It might be a good idea to hit the choke valves/plungers with a shot of lube the next time I have the air cleaner off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The choke cable seems to be working fine. It might be a good idea to hit the choke valves/plungers with a shot of lube the next time I have the air cleaner off.
might be worth checking the actual mech itself on the throttle bodies. I found mine were a bit stiff, and after engaging the choke it stuck open a little after disengaging. A shot of lube sorted it right out :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good call everyone. It turned about to be what appeared to be a high pressure oil line up against the choke knob. I was looking at it today, from a different angle than before and noticed that the oil line was getting in the way of the choke knob being pushed in all the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts