RC51 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - new to the forum, and I've found an rc that I am very interested in purchasing. But, to get to the recommended 92 octane, the current owner mixes about 1/4 tank of 100 octane jet fuel with 91 unleaded gas. My question is will this harm the motor in any way? I guess the fuel injectors will be super clean, right? :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
In my opinion, this is a terrible idea. Theoretically, it will balance out, but im a firm believer in only putting one thing in a gas tank and thats gas, specifically the recommeded octane. Its recommeded for a reason, if they thought the RC would run better with a mix, they woudl recommeded it.

This is along the same lines as fuel additives, which are a terrible idea. Theres posts on 600RR.net of guys who put NOS (the energy drink) in thier gas tank thinking it was NOS the fuel additive. Stupid, yes.

Anyway, someone may know more than me about this, but i wouldnt be buying a bike like that, jet fuel isnt for bikes. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you - I wouldn't run anything but good old 91 octane unleaded gas myself - we can't get 92 up here - but should I be concerned that the current owner runs this high octane mix? Is there any damage or issues I should look for? It is a nice bike, but I can't afford to buy something that may have issues due to the gas/jet fuel mix.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
honestly i really wouldnt worry about anything on this one, all it means it that the gas will actually ignite faster than lower grade fuel. However it is not neccesarry. This is also a good sign that the owner of this bike was rather meticulous with it. I say if it rides strong and feels good then dont hesitate. The octane boost cant harm anything unless he dumps the enitre bottle in each time. But if he did that the bike would already be having problems!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool - thanks, guys. This is a nice 04 with average miles. Needs some rubber, but if the stars all align, I'd like to pick this one up. I've been really wanting a 51 for several years now, but wanted to get back on the sport bikes and practice for a bit first. Feel comfortable with the upgrade, now it is up to the finances.

The current owner has only had the bike for less than a year, so the bulk of it's life it ran unleaded gas. Like I said, we can't get the 92 octane up here, but 91 should do the trick.

Thanks again for the replies! :D

·
Registered
863 Posts
This is along the same lines as fuel additives, which are a terrible idea. Theres posts on 600RR.net of guys who put NOS (the energy drink) in thier gas tank thinking it was NOS the fuel additive. Stupid, yes.
Fuel additives are not a terrible idea because the science has proven that alot of them do work. I run a can of Seafoam in mine every few months especially if its sat for alittle while and I can tell the difference for sure. And if what you say is true about the energy drink in the gas tank which I don't believe for a second because that is just absolutely rediculous, those people should probably be eliminated. Thats what I love about the 51 is it commands a more mature group of riders unlike the 600 or 1000RR's. The ratio of kids to mature adults riding those bikes is about 50 to 1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mattr1...Are you talking about jet fuel or avgas? Big difference in the two. If'n it IS jet fuel:eek:, as you've stated, then my opine would be to stay away. Jet fuel is primarily kerosene w/many additives w/none makin it a high octane product. On the other hand AVGAS is High octane product and is made for piston engines...:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point - I should have clarified - it has got to be avgas - he has some older firebirds that he has restored with some pretty high performance engines, so he has a small supply. If it does turn out to be jet fuel/kerosene, then I'm with you :eek: I'll move on and continue my search for the right bike from there.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Fuel additives are not a terrible idea because the science has proven that alot of them do work. I run a can of Seafoam in mine every few months especially if its sat for alittle while and I can tell the difference for sure. And if what you say is true about the energy drink in the gas tank which I don't believe for a second because that is just absolutely rediculous, those people should probably be eliminated. Thats what I love about the 51 is it commands a more mature group of riders unlike the 600 or 1000RR's. The ratio of kids to mature adults riding those bikes is about 50 to 1.
I found that story on 600rr.net, our other site. It was subsequently from a gixxer forum, which didnt surprise me. You should search for it if your looking for a good laugh, cause its hilarious.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool - I'll do a search and check it out :)

Man - I can't wait to see if I can do this deal - still plenty of riding season left!

·
RC51 Forums Moderator
275 Posts
In my opinion, this is a terrible idea. Theoretically, it will balance out, but im a firm believer in only putting one thing in a gas tank and thats gas, specifically the recommeded octane. Its recommeded for a reason, if they thought the RC would run better with a mix, they woudl recommeded it.

Anyway, someone may know more than me about this, but i wouldnt be buying a bike like that, jet fuel isnt for bikes. Just my 2cents.
Just to let you know, the 600RR.net guys (my guys) are the ones who re-posted it. The original thread was on the gixxerplanet site. Most Honda owners aren't stupid enough to do that. As for the fuel question. I've run E85, 91, 87, 85, oxygenated methanol, race fuel, the works. All have their ups and downs but it will not blow up your engine. Most of it depends on altitude, mods, and your current tune.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just to let you know, the 600RR.net guys (my guys) are the ones who re-posted it. The original thread was on the gixxerplanet site. Most Honda owners aren't stupid enough to do that. As for the fuel question. I've run E85, 91, 87, 85, oxygenated methanol, race fuel, the works. All have their ups and downs but it will not blow up your engine. Most of it depends on altitude, mods, and your current tune.
I found that story on 600rr.net, our other site. It was subsequently from a gixxer forum, which didnt surprise me. You should search for it if your looking for a good laugh, cause its hilarious.
I am aware of that, as I stated in a later post. Sorry if i associated "your guys" with a mistake made by someone of lesser knowledge.

All in good fun 1ofakindrr, just kidding mang, it been one of those days.

·
RC51 Forums Moderator
275 Posts
I am aware of that, as I stated in a later post. Sorry if i associated "your guys" with a mistake made by someone of lesser knowledge.
Bwahaha. True that. But I'm most definitely not saying we don't have retards in my other forum but just letting you know facts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mattr1...Are you talking about jet fuel or avgas? Big difference in the two. If'n it IS jet fuel:eek:, as you've stated, then my opine would be to stay away. Jet fuel is primarily kerosene w/many additives w/none makin it a high octane product. On the other hand AVGAS is High octane product and is made for piston engines...:)
He is write here. i ahve been an avaition Mechanic for years and as long as its avgas and not jetfuel you should be fine. you can never tell what those bone heads at the airlines ahve put in jet fuel.

My opinion run good clean gas and everynow and again run some race fuel to clean it out. thats I do with all my engines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts