RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the rebuild has begun. Still no check but I'm not waiting around.

Here is the first step: Replaced bent shift pedal with one from the parts bin:D

Other wise I just cleaned her up today and took the plastics off to see if I missed anything. Clutch reservoir is in the mail so I can ride her soon.

Still on the look out for a used L side mirror....

Items needed to restore her glory:

Paint Tank
Front, Rear, L side fairing (taken care of, needs paint)
Flush mounts- L one works but cover is broken.
L mirror- mentioned

Things I'm going to do:

-New grips - all rubber
-Black shorty levers- currently back to stock
-520 conv. Time for new chain and sproks
-Install my version of air box. Been completed for a bit, time to install.

When I get some time this weekend I will compile the busted pics and the right now pics. Looking at her in the driveway it's impossible to see a totaled bike, kind of funny really. Sounds easy right? Most likely will get delayed when I do mods instead of fixing things....battery relocation?

Goal:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
GL with the project. Hopefully will be fun. My winter refresh has been fun and kept me out of (some) trouble. :)

Does the bike now have a salvage title? Or did you avoid that.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And the project begins.
Put up a list of everything you need to put her back together.
Done:D

Also a bunch of stuff I want to do as well since she's under the knife. Good thing is that she will be rideable next week when the clutch reservoir arrives.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
nobody, assuming you have more than just the parts Hig needs I too may be in touch for some more bits - once the new project arrives! :)

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the offer;) I think I just about have everything covered. I still have the old plastics from when I replaced them just for a color change...just need to get the decals in from the UK and have the paint started.

Found a mirror.

Shopping for suitable flushmounts, levers, grips, and chain/sprockets now:D

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Time for an update....also so I will remember to take pics when stuff rolls in.

So the plan:

I've gotten an estimate for paint AND powdercoat the wheels.

Going with red upper, tank, and tail and a matte black lower fairing. Matte black RC51 with silver outline in the stock spot. High gloss HONDA decal in the stock spot on the lower fairing. Wish someone with PS skills could do up a rendering;)

(Sharkskinz fairings from RidersDiscount, great deal IMO!)

Wheels will be a bronze color like the clutch cover. (Very similar to GTS's wheels;) )

*I changed out the sprockets and chain, did 520 conversion and 15/41gearing. Got the speedo set with GPS to be spot on with my V4 Speedo Healer.

*Ordered CBR COP's and harness to do the conversion. Also nabbed some Denso plugs to make it easy. I will have a set of coils and harness connectors left for someone who wants to split the cost with me;)

*Ordered an Alien Motion 8cell battery from RidersDiscount-should be here soon

*Ordered Mirror block off plates from someone....don't remember. Think it was MotoSport

*Ordered Bar End Mirror from MS.

**Best idea of the day (to me at least)**

I remembered that the eyebrow mod was floating around. Now that my race fairings don't come with cutouts for turn signals I've decided to update the RC with headlight mounted turns. I'm going to use HO LED's in the park lamp spot and build myself an OEM looking install.

Should be super clean and streamlined without mirrors or turn signals.

Need to order:

-Clear stock style windscreen.
-Decals.
-Some misc. stuff & gaskets (fuel pump gasket and filter)
-Black shorty levers

Wife has a mystery surprise for me, she said it had to do with pipes. Checked the Joint account (;) ) and saw a ding for $740 something- could be the Ti slip ons I've wanted:D:D:D:D)

That's where we sit for now. I have to figure out what I'm gonna do to tear down the bike. I'm in an APT right now so I need to buy another front stand so I can take off the wheels. They are asses about working on vehicles in the parking lot so I will need to be sneaky and crafty. Can't wait to get my house...with a garage space just for RC.

I will like to say that I am trying to do this (re)build using site sponsors, vendors, and members. I believe in supporting those who support us. Besides little stuff here and there I have been greatly successful. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I have to figure out what I'm gonna do to tear down the bike. I'm in an APT right now so I need to buy another front stand so I can take off the wheels. They are asses about working on vehicles in the parking lot so I will need to be sneaky and crafty. Can't wait to get my house...with a garage space just for RC.
Hig..... Just bring it in the building.... ;)
I did:D... had my RC up on the third floor in my living room for 4 and a half years.
Now I have built a little workshop in the underground parking for the bike to have a home... security camera and all.
It helps that I am a manager here though :D:)

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HTF did you get it up 3 floors? lol

I live in a pseudo townhome. I have a 1st floor door, and a 2nd floor APT, if I could make the turn at the top of the stairs all I would have to worry about is where to put the baby (real live human one), lol.

We have a 3 bedroom home stuffed into a 2br APT, thank god it's rather large but I have sh%t everywhere!

I have a plan and it involves masking the bike with my el cheapo cover as I work on one half of the bike at a time. I've gotten away with exhaust installs and a clutch slave rebuild. If I'm quick with pulling the fairings I should be GTG. I can pull the wheels at night and toss on the cover....

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Hig, I got it to the third floor quite easy. The underground parking lot is attached to the elevator. All my friend and I did was remove the bodywork and the Oem tail light and put the rc upright in the elevator. Up to third floor to the living room for teardown and then sat in walk in closet for 4 years.
Now I have 2 boys so I can not get away with it. Lol
So, the boss let me build a storage area with walls and everything out of two underground spots. :cool:

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So made some progress on parts...

Found out the wife's surprise was a new set of Micron high mounts in carbon fiber. Kind of blown away. She said she got them because I was so bummed and she knew I wanted something that looked like the Akras but knew I was aprehensive about using them. Awesome.

Also have an idea for the tank....

It will be all red, no decals under the paint. Since I have an idea of slightly modernizing the look I wanted something that would still provide a brand reference but not have to be applied and painted over....enter this:

Simple, yet serve a purpose. I know they have a little recess on the newer bikes for this to go in however these are pretty flat and there's just the right spot on both sides of the tank for em:D

They also come in just black....decisions

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
The tank would need to be completely flat where you place these, or they may not stick properly? I'd just go with the logo design Honda put on the tank... They spent a lot of time & investment on design with professionals doing the work. It's not easy to better their designs, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spent some time finding the curves and figuring out just this. Once it's painted I can have a better idea and mock it up to get the general size ratio.

If it doesn't work out, the decals on the lower and upper fairing should identify the bike quite nicely.

I borrowed this pic from 'zilla as it was the easiest to molest using my B.C. MS Paint at work. Here is the paint scheme I am doing. Wheels will be bronze (hard to do in paint...workin on it), rear sets silver, etc.

I may be able to make some decals for the pic but it's tough. Also getting the gloss black detail on the lower decal would be difficult for me and my very limited grpahic design abilities....

Oh yeah, don't mind the stick stripper throwing glitter in the background....co-worker request, lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just dropped some coin on new fairings....:D

Huge thanks to Nathan at RidersDiscount!!

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finished up my custom undertail. Just need to trim the exterior mounts and clean up the brake/turn harness.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1365103481.625598.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1365103495.250886.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1365103508.054004.jpg

Battery will be here today!!

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lights? We don't need no stinkin lights:D

I will try to remember to shoot a pic of that setup this weekend. It really worked out well. Also have a local vinyl shop making me some perforated headlight covers. They can print partial graphics to make number plates or solid colors, I'm going with red for now until I decide on a number plate design. They will even print a number in the design-it's sick!!

I finished a little more before the wife came calling....
ImageUploadedByMO Free1365127670.423593.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1365127678.453345.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1365127687.827060.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1365127698.133657.jpg ImageUploadedByMO Free1365127707.425831.jpg

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a little work done:

Mounted the Micron:
ImageUploadedByMO Free1365730071.589024.jpg

Made a switch box for the fan and SpeedoHealer recall function:
ImageUploadedByMO Free1365730118.149066.jpg

Filed down a set of NGK's for the COP conversion: top is done, bottom almost-both before threading.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1365730172.230286.jpg

Mounted Custom Dynamics tail/turn/plate lights.( functional photo soon):
ImageUploadedByMO Free1365730252.096079.jpg

Bar end mirrors:
ImageUploadedByMO Free1365730283.839327.jpg

Waiting on shorty levers (black), sharkskinz, and a Honda CRF 450 rear master (with HRC cover)-I think it was Duckie who has the same genius idea-

Got a full set of black Venhill brake lines. I have Speiglers but these were yet another gift- well made first impression and a trick mounting style.

Also doing the calipers in a gunmetal grey with red NISSIN- this wait for fairings and paint is killing me!!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts