RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Thanks for that Makis. There was lots of interesting things being tried in the race world during that time, and following. Suzuki came out once more with their square four two-stroke in the mid 80's, something they'd tried back in the 60's after Honda made it's racing debut in '59. Ah, the good old days:D

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Ayuh. BTW, what freaking time is it in Greece right now anyway:rolleyes:
And, em, when are you posting the next installments?;)

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time right now (precise) is

02:44 (am)

I am up since 10am this morning and had done sooooo many things........but I just like the company and stay logged on (still) :D

P.S. installments???????? (didn't get it, sorry)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love the honda V4 engine. My first (84 magna) and second (85 interceptor) street bikes were V4s. But I have to say, I would love to have a different honda V4. The NSR500 !

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think I have been in a cave or something I have never heard of oval pistons. Have the oval pistons been successful do they still use them? Are ovals used in the RC213V ?

"V4" , I think four pistons, or do they consider one oval piston two pistons? So there is a total of two oval pistons.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...... I would love to have a different honda V4. The NSR500 !
Ahh....that sweet screamer!

I think I have been in a cave or something I have never heard of oval pistons. Have the oval pistons been successful do they still use them? Are ovals used in the RC213V ?

"V4" , I think four pistons, or do they consider one oval piston two pistons? So there is a total of two oval pistons.
All you need to know, my friend, is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NR

Her soul

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
The NR750 is probably the world's most expensive production bike ever made, with adjustment for inflation, etc. Here's a video.

http://youtu.be/M__p0LjSOOA

The claim that they change hands now for 6 figure sums is probably a bit exagerated.
I was looking at buying one for a friend in Canada last year and in Japan the best examples change hands for around $50,000 USD. But then in Japan they're lower power than the rest of the world (77 bhp, elsewhere they were 125 bhp IIRC).
I remember road tests from back in 1992, which often compared the NR750 to the VFR750 and said it wasn't all that different in feel.
Anyway, a beautifully engineered machine. Every time I see one (Which is rare), I start drooling. :D

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts

Honda wanted to race a 500cc V-8, but the rules only allowed max of 4 cylinders.
So they got the idea of siamesing two cylinders into one oval cylinder.
So a V-4 that had the same piston area as a V-8.

The original oval-piston wonder. The 1979 500cc NR500.
Monocoque frame, anti-dive forks, the oval-piston engine, and side-mounted radiators.
Revved to 20K+ RPM. Had zero flywheel. Could go from 20K RPM to 0 almost instantly.
Designed to compete against 500cc two-strokes, but was never successful.

Besides the street-going NR750, there was also the NR750 endurance racer.
Developed around 155 HP.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/squeezyrider/278962552/

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Here's an interesting video.
Look at how small an F1 clutch is. A clutch that handles 800 HP.
Plus, note the comment how quick it takes an F1 engine at 19000 RPM to come to a complete stop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89kE6mcF2JM
Not surprising. The new generation Honda 6 speed car transmission clutch plates are super thin too and smaller diameter than the RC....F1 technology makes it to the street.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app bitches

1 - 17 of 17 Posts