RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here's a question. When did these forums officially fire up?

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
I'm guessing the this forum began within the last year or two.
After lurking for a long time, I finally joined last year.
Prior to then, the forum was real quiet. I mean REALLY quiet.

Then gradually it started to take off and build new members last fall.
So far, this year is really off and running, and new members are joining seemingly daily.
And that's a good thing. The more the merrier.
This forum is also starting to get some crossover from other RC51 forums as well.
Enjoy!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The reason I asked is that I felt it was a fairly 'young' forum(no reflection of my age, ahem...), and these things take time to get rolling. As more and more people hear the word, we'll see people coming out of the woodwork from many different places, and threads about who-knows-what being posted up quickly, mark my words!
I think it's a good reflection of Honda's flagship Ducati-killer(OK, so I may be biased) for it to have got the following over a period of time, then a forum such as this to spring up years later.
I don't know how the US was for SP's/RC's, but Australia didn't get too many; they're considered a rarer Honda, and are rapidly being touted by many as 'collectable'. I might ask my contact at Honda Oz on some figures, for interests' sake...

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
The reason I asked is that I felt it was a fairly 'young' forum(no reflection of my age, ahem...), and these things take time to get rolling. As more and more people hear the word, we'll see people coming out of the woodwork from many different places, and threads about who-knows-what being posted up quickly, mark my words!
I think it's a good reflection of Honda's flagship Ducati-killer(OK, so I may be biased) for it to have got the following over a period of time, then a forum such as this to spring up years later.
I don't know how the US was for SP's/RC's, but Australia didn't get too many; they're considered a rarer Honda, and are rapidly being touted by many as 'collectable'. I might ask my contact at Honda Oz on some figures, for interests' sake...
Even in the States the RC51 was an expensive bike. That's why they didn't sell as many overall.
I remember drooling over a new '02 and the dealer marked at over US $11000.
Their I-4 model was around $1500-2000 cheaper.

I think one reason the bike has a following is because it's "different" than other Hondas.
It's not a ubiquitous I-4 that sounds like most other I-4's (one of my main reasons).
Also, it's sort of a poor man's Ducati. I can't afford a $20K+ Ducati, but I could afford a $10-11K Honda.
It's also a hell of a lot cheaper to maintain.

It's too bad they ceased production, it would be interesting to see what the hypothetical '09 RC51 would be like with current technology.
If you compare the advancements of Ducati and KTM, I'd say the fantasy RC51 would be in that neighborhood of 160-180 HP and weight around the same as the competition (sub-400 Lbs).

Still, I get looks and questions about the old girl.
Several friends I ride with have ridden her and come back with a smile.
The sound, the torque, the gear whine all contribute to that.
One jokingly asked if I'd put the bike in my will for him.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
twins are awesome. i got my hawk last year. went for a group ride. first stop everyone flocked to my bike and all said how much they loved hearing me on the gas!!! i've already had a few comments on my newly acquired rc51.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've just come back from a trackday, and the SP was a big hit. Whilst mine is an '02, and completely stock, a lot of people had time to come up and say what a fantastic bike it is. Once she's breathing better, and sounding like the business she really should be, I'll be stoked...
As an aside, there was a new '09 R1 there, and it sounds just like a 996 Ducati with a standard exhaust system....out of an inline 4! Weird sounding. Oh, that, and I had it covered the whole day. Not bad for a 7 year old stock 'underpowered' V twin! I love my bike!

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
New R1 sounds more like a V-4 to me.
They're trying to accomplish the same end, to allow the tire to recover between power pulses.
The V-twins, V-4s do this naturally, and new R1s do this by crank configuration.
All apply power better than regular I-4s, which tend to overwork the tire.
I say a show where they explained this principle. Very informative.

·
Registered
106 Posts
New R1 sounds more like a V-4 to me.
They're trying to accomplish the same end, to allow the tire to recover between power pulses.
The V-twins, V-4s do this naturally, and new R1s do this by crank configuration.
All apply power better than regular I-4s, which tend to overwork the tire.
I say a show where they explained this principle. Very informative.
Maybe that's the sound...we were all standing by the bike, and on the pit wal when we weren't out on the same session as it, trying to work out what it sounded most like. It was weird. Not bad, just...weird. You're expecting an R1 to scream, but not the '09. The thing obviously works; look at Spie's bike, straight up on it's first season, and the thing HAULS. However, I too lament the demise of the RC/SP. Yes, imagine an '09 RC51...it would have to be flat out awesome, yes?

·
RC51 Forums Moderator
275 Posts
Well here's the problem...
Online Users: 170
22 members and 148 guests
1ofakindRR , 5.4 speedster , Ashcanalli , bazdrum , CraigBa , Defender , DRFLGD , Eg6torc51 , Ev0lv3d , finepooch , Gipper , hondaruss , Jardine , kgrassers , larry g , man77 , MUD , newbie1276 , skip114 , stjoh , watskooo , wicked1k

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
I didn't join right away either.
I lurked around for a while until I joined.
Of course back then there weren't many members and not much activity.
The current list shows 994 members so far. Yeah team!!

·
RC51 Forums Moderator
275 Posts
This forum will for sure pick up. Like 600RR.net, we got 40k+ members and it seems like every 10 minutes there's a new member...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry, all: I've been waaaay busy, but I'm back!! Spread the word, feel the love!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts