RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I did this and less than a year later I have white spots all over mine that look like micro bubbles forming under the top layer of the silicone. Almost like they were exposed to a chemical spray? Not just a section, all of them... Bike is stored inside at all times, and for all I know hasn't been exposed to anything caustic. Nothing else has any similar damage to it. Disappointing either way as they kinda look like crap now. Functionality is 100%, but I guess watch what you expose them to? Good luck with them.

Reactions: c200ohv

·
Registered
466 Posts
I did this and less than a year later I have white spots all over mine that look like micro bubbles forming under the top layer of the silicone. Almost like they were exposed to a chemical spray? Not just a section, all of them... Bike is stored inside at all times, and for all I know hasn't been exposed to anything caustic. Nothing else has any similar damage to it. Disappointing either way as they kinda look like crap now. Functionality is 100%, but I guess watch what you expose them to? Good luck with them.
Are they Samco hoses ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, have you contacted samco, there is that limited life time on them.

·
Registered
RC51 SP-1
57 Posts
Oh- It would be what.
It looks like the deterioration of the protective layer on the very surface.
It's happening in places that aren't exposed to the sun, so it's definitely a rudimentary problem with the material itself.
I also wanted to use a colored SAMCO hose, so it would be helpful.

·
Registered
2003 Honda RC51 RVT1000R SP-2
36 Posts
Wow! I just did this upgrade on my 03'. I'll be pretty discouraged if they end up looking that way later on down the road. Will definitely try to keep my eyes on them. Let us know if you contact Samco and they have any feedback

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
So looks like there was a curing issue with my hose kit. They haven’t confirmed yet, but sounds like they are going to give me a new kit. Definitely a defect in the hose though, the admitted that right away.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
yeah, i'd say a defect. I've had Samco hoses on the RC and CBR and i've never had a problem. Good on them for fixing it though.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Update on what is becoming quite the saga. They are now telling me that factory Honda coolant is not to be used with their hoses and are signaling they they will not be replacing my hoses. I'll update again when I get a final answer but it's a bummer of a plot twist. Seems crazy to me that 'racing' coolant lines can't handle factory honda coolant.

They also list OAT coolant as an immediate warranty killer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That’s pathetic, just ordered a set of Samco for another bike i own and have already purchased the Honda coolant. So what do they want us to use flaming tap water

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Well, their customer support is in the UK so we’ll see what they say tomorrow. I hope to have a definitive answer waiting for me in the morning.
Either way, the way they have flipped back and fourth from standing by the product, to making excuses, to saying it’s a warranty replacement and then back to it’s my fault, hasn’t been a great customer experience. I’ll update tomorrow, but checked the website and they say to only use ethylene glycol coolant with the hoses.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Engine ice works with the samco hoses if you want to use that as an option. No errosion or discoloration that I noticed.

For what it is worth...mine are blue on 2 other bikes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Send them a picture of the coolant bottle and ask.
No where in the warranty does it mention anything other than they recommend Ethylene Glycol. They do not mention anything about Honda coolant either.....i think they'd lose that battle.

Reactions: Joe XR
1 - 20 of 31 Posts