RC51 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I experienced total system failure of the 51 on Saturday. We went for our usual Saturday morning ride and I was on my CBR and my buddy was on my
51. He is a very good rider but bikeless now because of a recent wedding and truck he has to payoff before he can get back on 2 wheels. Anyways the day was goin fine and when we stop back at my other buddys house who was riding with us coolant starts dumping all ove the ground. It stopped a few minutes later and it wasn't alot but enough to worry me. We hang out for alittle bit drink a beer shoot the shite and decide we'll limp it home to my garage and tear it down see what the problem is. While riding home I'm following him close behind and notice the tail lights go out and then a big puff of smoke and he slows down. While next to him I can see him giving it full throttle and its not doing anything. All the sudden it kicks back up and gets going again. Then when we get home the front lights are blinking back and forth from low to high low to high. Turns out the radiator has a leak in it somewhere cause it is literally coming out through the fins on the left radiator somewhere. No FI light so I have no idea what the sudden loss of power was. She's probably just pissed at me cause I got the CBR !!! Oh well I got all the fairings off and will start tracing wires and what not this weekend since its supposed to rain the entire time. If anyone out there has a spare left side radiator for a SP1 I am in need of it really bad.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Kinda wild how the radiator leak spawned problems with the electrics.
Most of the electrics are on the other side of the frame spar.
Unless coolant was leaking down onto the pulse generator sensor connector out of the alternator cover and momentarily shorting it out (?).
Too bad the leak is in the fin area of radiator and not the tank. The tank's a lot easier to weld up. I know first hand.
With all the guys parting out bikes recently, you'd think a left radiator would be easy to find.
Good luck on the find and repair.

·
Registered
422 Posts
wow...that bad...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts