RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came a cross a 2006 RC51 with 3,500 miles on it. Only mod is a corbin seat and a steering damper. Seems to be in perfect condition. They are asking $7,999, but I thought that seemed a little high?

How much are these going for typically in this condition?

thanks!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
3500 miles means it's been sitting a lot. In some cases, that's worse than just riding it.
There's a 2006 for sale right here on this forum that has WAY more upgrades than the one you mentioned, and it's $2,000 less!
At only about 15,000 miles and all the upgrades, it's a way better bike. As long as it checks out to an inspection that is. I don't know the seller or the bike, it's just a timely example of my point.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Priced high IMHO, but I guess that depends on your region and who you are buying from.

Is it at a dealer or a private seller?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's at a dealer so I know they are going to price it high. Just wondering what I should be paying so I can use that for bargaining.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Even at a dealer, $6000 - 6500 max.
And make them change the oil and filter. Good chance it's been in there a loooooong time. I wouldn't trust the brake fluid or clutch fluid (both DOT4) either for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Don't let these guys poo poo on this bike because it has ~3600 miles or so.

For a bike like that no more than 6500. And thats if you live In the high rent district like jondog

There are plenty posts on here too to let you know what to look for g/l

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app bitches

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Yep, and 2003 is the only year with the graphics that bike in your link has.
Still, it's a nice bike!
The consignment shop that listed it got the year wrong is all...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

Going to go test ride it this week hopefully. I have never ridden one, only the ducs. If I like it at least I now have a reasonable price point in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Mid to low 6k range for certain. I'd call on my dealer bluebook for a price, but in Canada the '06 didn't make it here, only up to '05; and max buck for an '05 is $6500. These are actual reported selling prices from dealers, I don't know what Kelly bases their prices on.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Yep, and 2003 is the only year with the graphics that bike in your link has.
Still, it's a nice bike!
The consignment shop that listed it got the year wrong is all...
I would bet it is an 06 that the guy swapped plastics on. or it has been wrecked then they went to the 03 graphics. it has an 06 front end on it.
The fork uppers are the bright 05/06 gold not the 00-04 dark bronze. and the front fender is an 06 Charcoal gray front fender.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I would bet it is an 06 that the guy swapped plastics on. or it has been wrecked then they went to the 03 graphics. it has an 06 front end on it.
The fork uppers are the bright 05/06 gold not the 00-04 dark bronze. and the front fender is an 06 Charcoal gray front fender.
I sent a message to the dealer asking him about that. He insists it's a 2006. He has no idea why the incorrect plastics. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would take the position that it was a high-sided bike, until the Seller comes up with evidence to prove otherwise.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
The previous owner may have traded plastics plus cash to some one with an 03. the 06 is a sought after scheme and easy way to make 500 cash in a trade.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I would take the position that it was a high-sided bike, until the Seller comes up with evidence to prove otherwise.
I sent him a second message asking WHY the incorrect plastics, Was it previously crashed? He responded, 'did it occur to you that maybe the owner just wanted different plastics'? And closed by telling me that my messages were basically worthless to him and to have a nice day. :D
I guess I touched a nerve... ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts