RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm used to my old CBR where the chain cover comes off easily with 2 or 3 bolts. For the life of me though I cannot fingure out how to get the RC front sprocket cover off. There are two long bolts on the top and bottom of the cover, then it looks like there are two shorter ones that hold part of the clutch hydraulics in place. Even when I loosened these two screws, the cover didn't move. So how many bolts do i need to remove, and what exactly do I have to take off the bike to gain access?

I am replacing my speedo sensor as it just went out on me. (I hope that's all it was) however, even before I had speedo problems, I would notice that if I went by those mobile radar things that I was always doing 5-7mph more according to my speedo. When I'm on the highway I do 80 on my bike to keep up with traffic and I know the majority of the time everyone is probably doing 70. i have this strange feeling that the front sprocket may have been changed at some point, and would like to check.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heres a link to a free download of the service manual.
It's all covered in there

http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service
I must have completely missed it, but the only place I see the cover removal was in the engine removal section. they say to pull the clutch level in, then tie it to the grip so it says pulled in. they show a half dozen bolts too.

Can anyone confirm that you need to pull the clutch lever before bolt removal? And if you have to remove those screws, or are there other screws to remove?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts