RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic on the signal switches for the RC51 and any bike are subject to UV fading over time. And it makes the cockpit look old and tired.

A simple technique to restore lustre and address faded or oxidized plastic is to apply WD40 to them. Now it depends on how badly faded/oxidized the switch is, but this tip can make things look brand new, if not hugely improved. I recommend a heavy spray and let sit and sink in. Multiple applications may be needed to maximize the benefit.

This can be used on any unpainted plastics on the bike to good effect. Does anyone have any other remedies for this?

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Black WOW - a car care product to restore lustre to black plastics works very well, but only lasts around a month before needing re-application.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have used Mothers back to black for many many years.
I use it on just about everything that's black plastic or rubber.
It even works fantastic on the black # plates.
Great stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
I use this....

To make my ride look like this....

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
I've used all those products...doesn't work on my RC because it's so wickedly fast the black just keeps flying off in the wind.:p

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I've though about doing something like this, but never had anything warranting it on the RC51, but the rear fender on the 250 looks bad:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Updating_faded_plastic_parts

I've used all those products...doesn't work on my RC because it's so wickedly fast the black just keeps flying off in the wind.:p
Yeah, I've never had a problem with fading black stuff on the RC, since it does 205 no problem. The oxidation just flies right off.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Here....let me get ready for the next post.:D

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
One day when I was running at 207 the black started to peel away so I did a back flip 360 with the RC and caught the black onto the bike only to lose it again when I hit 209.

It's true I tell you!

See the black is back on...

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
^ Love those PINK frame sliders, too bad tht color did not vanish along with the black.... or trade places ??? HA !!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also wd40 has mineral spirits in it, I don't know about soaking my plastic in oil and solvent I feel like that would lead to further degradation of the plastic. I use a product called 303, it is a uv protectant used on boats.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I used Armor All on mine. It also works great on bringing a shine to the black frame and swing arm too.

Back in high school I worked at a farm implement dealership, we got and old tractor from the 60's on trade that had really sun faded red paint. Throughout cleaning and detailing it, I got Armor All on the paint and it brought back the red. So I covered the whole thing, let it soak into the paint then washed like normal. It kept that glossy new paint look for months while it sat outside waiting for a new owner.
I've tried this trick on different things throughout the years and it only seems to work on single stage paints or coatings.

With the bike I spray some into a rag, wipe down the frame and arm, then wipe it off. But only about once a year or so, I don't know if there is any long term ill affects but so far I haven't experienced any.

James

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts