RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 600RR for 3 years now but I'm looking to switch it up, and since I remember the 2 bikes that got me into riding I thought about them first: the Ducati 900SS and RC51 so here I am! Hoping to learn enough about these to make my decision and thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kat,

Have a browse through, you will find a lifetimes worth of knowledge on here.

Not a great deal bad to say about the RC51; it's a Honda after all. It's a whole different beasty to the RR, not really worth trying to compare them. Best advice ride a few and find a good example.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum Kat,

Have a browse through, you will find a lifetimes worth of knowledge on here.

Not a great deal bad to say about the RC51; it's a Honda after all. It's a whole different beasty to the RR, not really worth trying to compare them. Best advice ride a few and find a good example.
These forums really kick 4ss for sources of info: 600rr.net has enough write ups on the 07-12 to never need the dealer aside from inspection renewals, at least that's the point I'm at and I had no previous mechanical experience.

I'm curious how they differ from my 600 aside from the torque which is what is drawing me towards a twin. I don't have access to one of these and the idea is to rejuvenate one with apparent cosmetic damage.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
These forums really kick 4ss for sources of info: 600rr.net has enough write ups on the 07-12 to never need the dealer aside from inspection renewals, at least that's the point I'm at and I had no previous mechanical experience.

I'm curious how they differ from my 600 aside from the torque which is what is drawing me towards a twin. I don't have access to one of these and the idea is to rejuvenate one with apparent cosmetic damage.
Welcome aboard man.

Bottom line, your 600 is faster. But with you being here, I'm guessing you're not worried about that.

The RC is overweight, under powered, parts are expensive, aftermarket parts are starting to dry up, and even with all that, Man I love my piggy:D You can read all the reviews you want about the RC and study them like a first year med student, but you just have to ride one to know. The owners who get "it," never sell their RC or regret selling and want to buy another one.

If your looking to save money, don't try to resurrect one, parts are expensive. Buying a clean one to start will probably save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome aboard man.

Bottom line, your 600 is faster. But with you being here, I'm guessing you're not worried about that.

The RC is overweight, under powered, parts are expensive, aftermarket parts are starting to dry up, and even with all that, Man I love my piggy:D You can read all the reviews you want about the RC and study them like a first year med student, but you just have to ride one to know. The owners who get "it," never sell their RC or regret selling and want to buy another one.

If your looking to save money, don't try to resurrect one, parts are expensive. Buying a clean one to start will probably save you money in the long run.
Yea I'm not interested in these because of dyno numbers lol...but rejuvenating vehicles is kinda my thing (got a '1971 super beetle project also atm) and this is a Nicky Hayden Edition, which I can get cheap enough to make the cosmetic repairs (if they're repairable) and a couple other things here and there...when you say overweight what're we talking in lbs, fully fuelled? It's not so much about saving money as it is about saving the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Yea I'm not interested in these because of dyno numbers lol...but rejuvenating vehicles is kinda my thing (got a '1971 super beetle project also atm) and this is a Nicky Hayden Edition, which I can get cheap enough to make the cosmetic repairs (if they're repairable) and a couple other things here and there...when you say overweight what're we talking in lbs, fully fuelled? It's not so much about saving money as it is about saving the bike.
Sounds like you'll fit in.

Weight is one number I never cared to remember. But if I remember right, somewhere in the neighborhood of 480 lbs. Use the search function, I'm sure someone has posted a solid weight number before.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like you'll fit in.

Weight is one number I never cared to remember. But if I remember right, somewhere in the neighborhood of 480 lbs. Use the search function, I'm sure someone has posted a solid weight number before.
It's funny, I've downloaded owner's manuals service manuals, checked numerous sites that list sp2 specs and the only number I've found is 430 dry, and gas is about 6 lbs/gallon so 460 before oil and the coolant I'm guessing is a lot between the dual radiators and plumbing.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The weight difference between your gen 600RR and a 51 will be quite noticeable; been there, done that.

If you are looking to restore an '04 Hayden edition with cosmetic damage, it's gonna be somewhat challenging to find minty OEM (04 Hayden) replacement fairings that won't cost a pretty penny. You could try to refurbish rashed OEM fairings, try some cheap China fairings or opt for track fairings if plastics are needed.

G'luck...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The weight difference between your gen 600RR and a 51 will be quite noticeable; been there, done that.

If you are looking to restore an '04 Hayden edition with cosmetic damage, it's gonna be somewhat challenging to find minty OEM (04 Hayden) replacement fairings that won't cost a pretty penny. You could try to refurbish rashed OEM fairings, try some cheap China fairings or opt for track fairings if plastics are needed.

G'luck...
The fuel tank is fvcked, now I know that's where Hayden's signature is supposed to be but idk if that's a sticker or a real signature, otherwise it just needs a PCV & autotune, steering stabilizer, speedohealer, complete exhaust, forks need new seals (at least) and geometry will need adjusting to compensate for 190/55 tires...the optimal exhaust is has me stuck; on a CBR it's more like choosing the sound but I already know these have 4 different mounting options (including gp style), must be titanium, not 2 - 1, and satos typically give the best result...I like the gp style but I'm not trying to be "that guy"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Working on that VW has taught me a thing or two about heads & valvetrains, so I'll check for signs of valve lift and spring condition.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
The fuel tank is fvcked, now I know that's where Hayden's signature is supposed to be but idk if that's a sticker or a real signature, otherwise it just needs a PCV & autotune, steering stabilizer, speedohealer, complete exhaust, forks need new seals (at least) and geometry will need adjusting to compensate for 190/55 tires...the optimal exhaust is has me stuck; on a CBR it's more like choosing the sound but I already know these have 4 different mounting options (including gp style), must be titanium, not 2 - 1, and satos typically give the best result...I like the gp style but I'm not trying to be "that guy"
What is wrong with the fuel tank? You have a large laundry list I would get done before worrying about a Hayden sticker.:D Save yourself some time and start looking at the Ladybirds, similar quality of the Satos and just about equal in performance gains. If you get the GP flavor, your neighbors will love you.;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is wrong with the fuel tank? You have a large laundry list I would get done before worrying about a Hayden sticker.:D Save yourself some time and start looking at the Ladybirds, similar quality of the Satos and just about equal in performance gains. If you get the GP flavor, your neighbors will love you.;)
You're right, I'm not that disillusioned...yet, at least I don't think so. The point of doing this wasn't just to get an RC51, it was to save one more from destruction and that's the only reason I care about the stickers and I'm literally OCD, but it has some cosmetic damage (big 4ss dent in the fuel tank being a part), all other points where it'd contact roadways are free from scratches so I figured it to be straightforward aside from not knowing how to take off/replace body panels on these bikes yet. After some research it looks like the only 2 things I won't be able to modify or repair are ohlins forks...and these damn stickers which irritates me but I'm still gonna do it.

Back to the exhaust for a second, this is an sp2 so it has D shaped ports but I'm getting the impression there are different diameters of piping, am I correct?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But my 600 already has a full akrapovic on it so it's not the raw db's I'm considering it's the bass this has over the 600.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
RC51 with basic mods will be in the 10.5 second 1/4 mile range. Pretty fast imo.

I'm having a hard time understanding the OP's details. Forks are Ohlins? Which ones and what is damaged? Why can't they be fixed?

Cosmetic damage on a sport bike is costly if you are OCD and want to do it right (new oem plastics). I'd go that way myself. Partzilla is the best place for prices on new stuff. If you want to buy local it will be closer to the MSRP $ value on that website.

To replace all panels and fuel tank is well north of $2k. A new NH tank will have the decal with the signature.

Most RC51's that go down have damage to the swingarm from where the exhaust hits it (if low mount). That is a pricey fix to new as well.

One usually spends more fixing up a damaged bike than buying a clean example.

But it still comes down to personal decisions. If you want to try it, then it's a valid consideration.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RC51 with basic mods will be in the 10.5 second 1/4 mile range. Pretty fast imo.

I'm having a hard time understanding the OP's details. Forks are Ohlins? Which ones and what is damaged? Why can't they be fixed?

Cosmetic damage on a sport bike is costly if you are OCD and want to do it right (new oem plastics). I'd go that way myself. Partzilla is the best place for prices on new stuff. If you want to buy local it will be closer to the MSRP $ value on that website.

To replace all panels and fuel tank is well north of $2k. A new NH tank will have the decal with the signature.

Most RC51's that go down have damage to the swingarm from where the exhaust hits it. That is a pricey fix to new as well.

One usually spends more fixing up a damaged bike than buying a clean example.

But it still comes down to personal decisions. If you want to try it, then it's a valid consideration.
Sorry it's been kind of a long week so let me clarify: it's a bike that somehow went down hard enough to put a softball-ish sized dent in the tank and potentially have cracked a couple fairing pieces, I'm waiting for more details but I make out a couple other mods I'd likely do anyway.

I currently have a tastefully modified '10 CBR600RR ABS which I love but have noticed far too often I didn't have the torque I kinda needed because I'm not that big of an 4sshole to always ride in higher rpm's where the power stays...with the exhaust I have it's just obnoxiously loud and I've gotten enough crap from cops about it to know when I'm not helping the reputation of the bike or the riders that are responsible on them.

Anyway to shorten this up; RC51 has what I want in a bike (at least for now); tq all over without a ridiculous amount of hp, reliability, and insurance rates that don't exceed the CBR's (RC51 is almost 1/2!). I know I can get that RC51 for less than half what I can sell my CBR for, so if fixing it won't cost too much I'm happy so from what I've read the suspension on RC51's are where the best, and pretty much only, improvements are made.

Bottom line I'd rather see this bike fixed than parted & junked since I liked them before I even started riding...fwiw I'm rebuilding a '71 Super Beetle atm also so this isn't uncommon for me to think about doing.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Welcome. There's a thread on here I started a couple of years ago about restoring an RC51 that was incomplete and had been high-sided with bent forks for my buddy Carlos who is also quite OCD! Might be worth looking at to see what other things you may find damaged that you haven't yet realised may also need replacement or repair. Just search for "Carlos Project".

I rode a friend's 2006 CBR600 once and found it was slower than the SP, but maybe it was a low powered Japanese domestic model, I didn't check (Was just testing to make sure it ran OK). Felt physically a lot smaller too.

I'd aim to avoid fitting copy fairings. There are used panels available if your's turn out to not be repairable. It's amazing what it's possible to save and products are available to make plastic repairs easy too. If you have a good contact with a paint shop, it's possible to do a good job of repairing so the result is as good as new. You can still buy decals AFIK and there's some places where you can get replica decals if not. Applying some of the decals is a little difficult, but with patience it's also possible. Enjoy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome. There's a thread on here I started a couple of years ago about restoring an RC51 that was incomplete and had been high-sided with bent forks for my buddy Carlos who is also quite OCD! Might be worth looking at to see what other things you may find damaged that you haven't yet realised may also need replacement or repair. Just search for "Carlos Project".

I rode a friend's 2006 CBR600 once and found it was slower than the SP, but maybe it was a low powered Japanese domestic model, I didn't check (Was just testing to make sure it ran OK). Felt physically a lot smaller too.

I'd aim to avoid fitting copy fairings. There are used panels available if your's turn out to not be repairable. It's amazing what it's possible to save and products are available to make plastic repairs easy too. If you have a good contact with a paint shop, it's possible to do a good job of repairing so the result is as good as new. You can still buy decals AFIK and there's some places where you can get replica decals if not. Applying some of the decals is a little difficult, but with patience it's also possible. Enjoy!
Thanks for the tips; the lines and angles (plus this guys image quality) on the RC definitely make it more difficult to tell if the fairings and tank are lining up properly and in the right spot on the frame....since I don't know how it happened I don't know where the obvious spots would be to check.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
The bike we repaired had one quite bent fork leg and a broken clip on + damaged triples, but the frame wasn't bent at all. I think it takes a very heavy impact to bend these frames, so I wouldn't expect it's too bad. But for sure it'll cost more than you expect to repair it and take longer too. Can be fun but the result will depend on how meticulous you are. :)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Unless you're buying the bike for extremely cheap, I'd do myself a favor if I were you and just buy a decent bike with some good quality parts on....

A pair of SP2 forks, triples, exhaust - can easily cost $2000 - $2,500 and there will be more, so as a rough guess you could see yourself spending $4,000 - $5,000 in the end to fix a broken bike. Might be fun, but you could end up with a lesser bike than this... Hoovy's 2005: http://roanoke.craigslist.org/mcy/4924777009.html

1 - 20 of 29 Posts