RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
weight is 5kgs.I asked the guy who made the factory HRC VTR swingarms about this,but maybe made by Honda or another sub contractor.

Construction is mainly press molding and castings

the works ones were from billeted parts and stampings as well (A7N01 alloy)

need to get some spacers or something for the wheel (chain side) and of course the rear shock mount

the guy reckons the std axle will fit-have to check that,and also the spindle might be for an SP1 frame
but should look good after a clean and polish

thought about trying to get some replica swingarms made for about a minute,but would be too much trouble,so best to contact superbuild as they make beautiful swingarms (I had a CBR1000RR one for a while)

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you should be able to get a 10% discount or something from Superbuild
the build quality and fit is perfect,and they have a few options (caliper bracket mount-std or endurance,stand mounts etc) and maybe the finish (brushed or polished)

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
man that swinger is the TITS!!!!!

saw the superbuild swingers, idk too blocky and shiny for $3000. i could buy another sp for that much lol

the silver SP2 swinger will have to do for mere mortals such as i :)

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Lovely stuff there, Simon!!

Would you fancy lending it to me sometime please, so we can get some replicas made by Superbuild? :)

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Lovely stuff there, Simon!!

Would you fancy lending it to me sometime please, so we can get some replicas made by Superbuild? :)
If superbuild are keen to make a replica please forward my email to them but I think it will be too much trouble for them.remember this is an ancient bike to the makers in Japan and tooling up for a custom swingarm or any parts is very expensive
It took me over 5 years to get Ladybird to commit to making the HRC exhaust (pestering almost every week and I had to buy the bike and purchase 20 systems that I sold at basically cost as the yen was extremely high at the time) so spending a lot of time and money to make maybe 5 swingarms at the most will be a tough sell to superbuild

Just get the swingarm they already make if you are keen
The quality and fit is amazing also they are stronger and lighter than the stock arm so the suspension will work better and ride quality is very much improved

Anyway I have a neat 64mm spacing nissin caliper now
Next puzzle is the wheel and rear axle and might need a custom one made

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
actually in the past I worked with heat magic with their swingarms when I was at moto-works,and sold to cresent suzuki (not for their race bikes,just customers) and versah racing and michael jordan's race team and other professional teams (we also tried to get kawasaki racing to use on their moto gp bike,so had meeting at the kawasaki factory which was interesting)

so I have a bit of history with swingarms and trying to sell them!

some photos I took at the heat magic factory back in 2007 or 2008

the axles on the full race one are made from very high tensile steel and are pretty expensive and hard to make apparently

and the guy is very proud of his endurance axle set (forgot why but its easier and quicker to remove than say the factory suzuki one)

the best racing swingarms and chassis (outside japan) now though are maybe made in England by Barry Ward (who made the Team KR stuff and parts for other British chassis teams-actually I was part of team KR japan for a few years,but thats another story.)

Team KR didnt make any money on the swingarms they sold for the CBR1000RR (they were all made from billet,and took a long time to make as you would expect)

I have a heat magic swingarm here for the K7 (endurance one with the axle etc)
might try to get it modifed to fit a K9 or something,as easy to change (my wish is to get it on my TLR,but will need some major reworking for that!)

The president of heat magic isnt the kindest guy,so I dont recommend his stuff (his exhausts are horrible and superbuild make a beautiful GSXR swingarm so get that one!)

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
just for interest from an old bikers station magazine

Ladybird's old race TT-f1 RC30 that someone bought and kind of turned into a road bike (pretty easy in japan if you know the right people when you get your shaken)
the carbs are NSR500 ones (cost close to 20 grand a set)
forks are magnesium showas (only 2 pairs where made like this-I think with the quick release-Ladybird has the prototypes of at his shop

engine had very trick and expensive one off parts as well as the chassis

thats the ladybird president in the corner (he had a video game made after him! also he was Doug Chandlers co racer at an 8 hour race one year,and raced a factory OW-01 for cleverwolf racing one year at the 8 hour,but with 100 riders at the 8 hours in those days and Gardner/Lawson/Doohan etc racing its was extremely hard going!)

those rear axles are machined from a 30kg block of chrome moly steel

I might get a few sets made this year (photo 7) ( they are horrible to make apparently as machining chrome moly is not that easy)

but I have the last few new HRC axle locking pins left in the world (just a cheap steel pin,but to get more made will mean an order of 1000 or so from the supplier,so no go with any new ones)
so that's an incentive,but maybe hard to sell,as the market for those bikes is tiny..

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
staying with chasis and swingarms

his old Moriwaki Vx-7 bike

the chassis was terrible,so they got the RC30's (again I think after they sold the first ones)
he had 2 of these VX-7's and then they got 2 supertrick RC30's for him (sponsorship in the 80's and 90's in Japan was pretty amazing-the makers/sponsors would give you anything as well-as many helmets as you want-tyres etc-nothing like now)

this also has the 20 grand NSR500 carbs and many trick engine parts

he used to one of the HRC kitted RC30 at his shop as well,but sold it to his friend (its all restored and looks amazing)

the RC30 had HRC kit dry carbon bodywork (super thin,just 1 or 2 layers of 1K with nomex at the edges for strength.this was in 1990 or so,pretty early stuff-maybe the first year they had prepreg carbon kit bodywork)

the Moriwaki used NR750 forks as the base,as they were the only USD forks available in Japan at that stage

the bike is tiny,like a 250,and must have sounded and handle pretty amazing (excpet for the chassis flex)

also Ladybird (nakagawa san) personally made the light cover
he used hot cooking oil to slightly melt the thick acrylic plastic and a simple plug to get the shape-just something round (old trick!)

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the swingarms, Simon. I'll keep that in mind. Was thinking to send them my swing arm to modify, as Harris does - but I've no idea how swing arms are made by Superbuild, so will see when I go there.

Will probably be around May... ish, as my SP2 is out of shaken and I won't get around to doing it before April, most likely.

5.4 speedster, thanks I'll bear that in mind. Duckhunter's expressed an interest too, so if there are enough people, once I talk to them and get an idea on cost we can go from there.

Reactions: Duckhunter
1 - 20 of 26 Posts