RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if it's last minute, but I really want to get this ride in this summer. Weather permiting, I plan on hauling my bike up to Red Bluff, park the truck and ride 36 to Fortuna.
Stay overnight in Fortuna at a pretty decent motel, Holiday Inn Express, bike friendly, and a decent steak house bar next door.
Next morning, Sunday, make a little loop up the coast and hook back into 36 for the ride back to Red Bluff.

Anyone interested?

This is an epic ride. 140 miles and about 4 mountain passes to cover before hitting big redwoods and the coast.
:)

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Arggggg...would love to tag along that one, but DAM its along way south for me. I used to fly a route over that whole patch of country, never got a chance to ride it. When are you thinking?

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Derp, read the frickin title...too soon for me to even dream about since Ill be stuck in Bend that weekend :p

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I'm interested......and those of you looking at this want too as well. This is a great ride folks.:cool: jd9 is a great host too

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should mention, I can haul two bikes with my truck. Meet me in Roseville early Sat morning and it takes about 20 minutes to load the bikes. Then they come off at Red Bluff.
I also booked a room for $75 in Fortuna...

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, f a monkey on a football, I had to abort.
I got about 40 miles into the ride, just about a mile or two before Wildwood Store, and I lost all the handling in my front end. Couldn't carry any corner speed or lean. The front felt like it wanted to wiggle and slip wide. It got BAD.
I pulled over, made sure it wasn't a greasy tire or oil spill I drove thru, checked temp and psi in the tire,(32.1psi @ 120F degrees) did the bounce test to check fork action, inspected the fork seals for leaks, checked for sloppy movement of the axle.
As I see it, the only thing left could be bearings (wheel bearings are fairly new and steering bearings feel normal), or a tire that went bad on me.
I'm going to inspect closer today...

Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
wowsa...in for answers to this one!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Glad you made it home okay.

Kind of sucks the store was razed when you got there, must have move to Nevada where the corporate taxes are next to nothing.:eek::D

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
It sure does....looks like you will need to park there and then ride West. I hate seeing nice old rustic places like that die off. They make the ride that much more interesting.:cool:

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I had no idea that Wildwood Store was - well - closed!
Puts a new kink into the gasoline logistics of that ride.

Closed...it looks like its just plain GONE :eek:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just read this thread. Hwy 36 is in my backyard! I for sure would have went. I'm a lone RC guy up here in Redding after my buddy sold his RC. I'll definitely look in this section more often.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts