RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a set of hardened alu. Hyperplates in my clutch. Seemed okay before I put the Yoyodyne slipper clutch in. This past race weekend I kept noticing that i was hitting a lot of false neutrals between gears... kept getting worse & worse. Before my finals I decided to pull the clutch and see what was up.

All of the 5 metal plates had scorch marks on them... 3 spots on each plate roughly 120° apart. 3 of the metal plates had fractures in those same 3 spots per plate. A simple flex was all that was needed to snap the plates. The cross section showed the scorching went all the way through and weakened the plates severely.

I figure that the clutch would likely have grenaded at some point, locked up the wheel, and launched me into low earth orbit. I'm glad I caught it when I did.

I should have known better... from now on its OEM plates (fibres and steels) all the way.

I'll try to post pictures soon.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I had a set of hardened alu. Hyperplates in my clutch. Seemed okay before I put the Yoyodyne slipper clutch in. This past race weekend I kept noticing that i was hitting a lot of false neutrals between gears... kept getting worse & worse. Before my finals I decided to pull the clutch and see what was up.

All of the 5 metal plates had scorch marks on them... 3 spots on each plate roughly 120° apart. 3 of the metal plates had fractures in those same 3 spots per plate. A simple flex was all that was needed to snap the plates. The cross section showed the scorching went all the way through and weakened the plates severely.

I figure that the clutch would likely have grenaded at some point, locked up the wheel, and launched me into low earth orbit. I'm glad I caught it when I did.

I should have known better... from now on its OEM plates (fibres and steels) all the way.

I'll try to post pictures soon.
Glenn,
Forgive me for being a little slow on the up-take, but are you saying it was the combination of the slipper clutch along with the aluminum plates that would have caused major problems? I'm asking because I run a Yoyodine Slipper and while I hit false neutrals now and again I never thought about failure of the system.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glenn,
Forgive me for being a little slow on the up-take, but are you saying it was the combination of the slipper clutch along with the aluminum plates that would have caused major problems? I'm asking because I run a Yoyodine Slipper and while I hit false neutrals now and again I never thought about failure of the system.
A few things I put together after the fact. Maybe just coincidence, but..

a) When used OEM clutch with alum plates, all was good.
b) Instructions for slipper said to use STANDARD clutch plates.
c) I was doing clutchless downshifts at some points. I know: d'uh
d) Racing buddy confirmed that slippers should be used with steel plates.

I was starting to hit a LOT of false neutrals between any gears... and it was getting worse. Wait until you see the pics.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Yeah I've heard of this on other forums as well.
Possibly due to additional heat buildup from the slipping action(?).
Better to be safe and stick to steel.

I'm currently using Hyperplates without any slipper clutch and I immediately noticed smooth shifting, especially from 1st to 2nd.
So for street use, they seem to work as advertised.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking the same thing. Unfortunately, Hyperplates is no longer in business... :( What a waste of my money.

Got full OEM clutch pack on the way in 2 days. hehehe
That and some adjustment to my quick shifter to help with the false neutrals issue (too sensitive) and all should be good. :D

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
For better or worse I'm always looking for a "better mousetrap" when it comes to the mods (just ask Sub). I think I'll stick to whats been working, slipper with OE plates. THANKS for the follow up. Good advice...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a lot of bikes and have races for years. I won't use hyperplates. Lots of alum in the oil is not good.
And stop with the clutchless downshifts. Transmission repairs are spendy. I can show you pictures.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Aluminium plates cant go with the slipper..This is what the manufacture informed me..Its a bad combo

·
Registered
422 Posts
Anyone wanted to sell of their slipper ...he..he

1 - 9 of 9 Posts