RC51 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I had a set of hardened alu. Hyperplates in my clutch. Seemed okay before I put the Yoyodyne slipper clutch in. This past race weekend I kept noticing that i was hitting a lot of false neutrals between gears... kept getting worse & worse. Before my finals I decided to pull the clutch and see what was up.

All of the 5 metal plates had scorch marks on them... 3 spots on each plate roughly 120° apart. 3 of the metal plates had fractures in those same 3 spots per plate. A simple flex was all that was needed to snap the plates. The cross section showed the scorching went all the way through and weakened the plates severely.

I figure that the clutch would likely have grenaded at some point, locked up the wheel, and launched me into low earth orbit. I'm glad I caught it when I did.

I should have known better... from now on its OEM plates (fibres and steels) all the way.

I'll try to post pictures soon.
Glenn,
Forgive me for being a little slow on the up-take, but are you saying it was the combination of the slipper clutch along with the aluminum plates that would have caused major problems? I'm asking because I run a Yoyodine Slipper and while I hit false neutrals now and again I never thought about failure of the system.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
For better or worse I'm always looking for a "better mousetrap" when it comes to the mods (just ask Sub). I think I'll stick to whats been working, slipper with OE plates. THANKS for the follow up. Good advice...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts