RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get an e-mail yesterday from facebook...

A friend in the US military who has recently left his Japan tour for Virginia Beach, has converted to the faith!

The last night he was in Japan, I rode to their place on the SP2 to meet them for dinner. Apparently they could hear me coming from quite a distance. His wife thought it was a Harley, but he knew it wasn't as sounded more potent. :D

...funny, as other friends also say they can hear me coming from a long distance & open their gates well before I get onto the drive.

Anyways, I digress. This buddy was looking at my SP2 sitting in his garage and commenting that it was a good looking bike. I told him a bit about it, but thought nothing more of it...
This is the most extreme car nut I have had the pleasure of meeting here in Japan. Not many people I know understand machines better than he, nor delve into projects as deeply. During his tennure jere he owned an 800 bhp+ Skyline GT-R, a TVR Griffith 500 and built himself a 2.5 forged 500 bhp+ Impreza STi coupe, all with extensive tuning work he completed himself, with the help of his equally enthusiastic wife.

Together they hacked their beautiful Impreza in half to take it back to the States in pieces in order to turn an N/A coupe there into a RHD fire breathing monster, of JDM replica.
He's also recently bought a 2013 Shelby GT500 and isn't content with the standard power it makes...A man who is incapable of owning something and not modifying it...

So back to yesterday's e-mail. He's picked up a 2003 SP2!
Said it was all my fault.! :eek:
He's already thinking of turning the standard US RVT bodywork into the white European colours, which he prefers...
Aside from dropping a few hints of carbon Airboxes, Ladybird Ti & MR products, I've mentioned this forum and invited him to look into it. He'll probably be along once he's familiarised himself more with this new toy... :)

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
You are an RC pusher, you give them a taste for free...and see what happened.

Awesome story, those are some serious cars with serious powa! I had the car bug back in high school. So much more expensive compared to the RC.

Big blocks are expensive to run on petrol.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should see the rate at which a 500 bhp RX-7 slurps the high-octane juice & that's only 1,308cc engine capacity!

The business I do is centered around performance cars (I sold him the 700 bhp ex-tuner demo Skyline GT-R which he then tuned further & we became friends in the process of his ongoing car modifications & acquisitions), but bikes are another passion & the SP my main 2 wheeled one.

He didn't own a bike at all whilst here for 5 years. Did have an Aprilia RS250 in the States before, but I'd figured he was only into smaller capacity bikes... I was wrong! :)

The exciting difference is he isn't afraid of modifying by himself to the nth degree.
So if he gets excited by the SP, he's bound to do some cool things to it.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Damn! When I was in the military back in the 70's, my high point was a steak dinner every pay day. How times change.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Stig, you are a lucky guy:D, The GT-R Skyline is my DREAM car man. I always wanted an RC since the day it came out ( owned mine since '05 ) I have always wanted a 2000 GT-R too but I know it will not happen until the 2015 at the soonest:mad:
Canada's car import laws are S**T !!! You have to wait until 15 years pass before importing such a beast. I have looked into it. 3 more years and it's legal to insure it.
You can have one, but you can NOT insure it here.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It'll be possible to import R34 Skyline GT-R's there in 2014, since they were made from Sept 1999. :)
I know a wee bit about good quality Skylines and to me at least the better driver's car is a properly sorted R32 GT-R IMHO. Smaller, more nimble & more raw - they make amazing track cars. But avoid the bad ones that typically find their way to Canada!

I don't really want to turn this thread into a fest for fast Japanese cars, but what the hell. Here's some pics of my new RC51 buddy's R33 GT-R we recently sold again.

http://www.neweraimports.com/carDetails.jsp?carId=512
It's headed for the UK currently, then onto a live on the French Riviera.

And here's the 34 GT-R we use in the UK as one of our company demos.
http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/08/car_feature_gt_gt_top_secret_competizione_r_the_rebirth/

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
DROOL...... 8P'''''' I can only dream of owning such a beautiful example of an R-34.
Maybe one day when I do not have a needy wife and 2 rug rats to provide for.
Until then at least I have my ol RC.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Good on ya Stig, nice to bring someone into the fold. Hopefully he finds his way in here adn you two can continue on with two wheel discussions.

Duckhunter said:"You can have one, but you can NOT insure it here."
Gotta luv ICBC doncha:rolleyes: I've never checked, but I'd bet you could insure it in Alberta;)

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Good on ya Stig, nice to bring someone into the fold. Hopefully he finds his way in here adn you two can continue on with two wheel discussions.

Duckhunter said:"You can have one, but you can NOT insure it here."
Gotta luv ICBC doncha:rolleyes: I've never checked, but I'd bet you could insure it in Alberta;)
Nope, it is a Canada wide conspiracy:rolleyes: Otherwise I would have moved and would own one by now.:D

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope, it is a Canada wide conspiracy:rolleyes: Otherwise I would have moved and would own one by now.:D
You can blame stupidity of kids buying these fast cars, then racing them on the streets & getting into accidents, etc. to make them very expensive to insure by those without a lot of no claims bonus. Surely they're not all driving without insurance though.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
You can blame stupidity of kids buying these fast cars, then racing them on the streets & getting into accidents, etc. to make them very expensive to insure by those without a lot of no claims bonus. Surely they're not all driving without insurance though.
!!! RANT WARNING !!!

Oh I already do blame the stupid young kids that have driven up insurance rates, caused harsh impound laws, major fines and my favorite one.... The graduated licensing program...:rolleyes:..

Rant over

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Guys -
Ryan here. I'm the guy Miguel (The Stig) "converted" =). Been riding since I was 10 years old, dirtbikes as a kid and bought my first streetbike when I was 22 (97'). That bike was a "basket case" 93 (94'?) GSXR-1100. I did a "frame-off" rebuild on it, 40mm carbs, exhaust, undercut trans, ETC. I polished the frame and had it painted a nice blue color (Mazda "Innocent Blue", Miguel). I wish I had a picture handy but it's in the archives somewhere. I rode it for a few years before concentrating back on cars.

Around 2003 I got bit by the bike bug again and wanted something a little more "exotic". I fell in love with the Moto GP looks of the Aprilia RS250 and I was always a fan of the explosive powerband inherent in 2 strokes. However, the last road legal 2 stroke was what? The RZ350? The RS250 that Aprilia sold stateside was strictly for track use. So, I did some research and found out that all of the parts I needed to convert my RS250 to road use were readily available in Europe as they are road legal there. I swapped it over and through some creative avenues I was able to get my RS250 inspected and titled. Most folks thought it would make for a garbage streetbike but I loved it. It was 280ish pounds and made 65-70 rwhp. Yeah, the gas mileage was shit but it a blast to ride. I commuted on it for a few more years before I took orders to Japan.

I never rode in Japan because the licensing process is very time consuming and I just didn't have much interest. Riding there just struck me as inherently dangerous (sorry, Miguel!). If you are on the highways or backroads, no problem. But in town, it didn't seem like anyone paid attention to bikes. And the bikers did what they want, darting in and out of traffic. I figured I would wait until I got back stateside.

So it's been 5 years now and I'm getting back into riding. Miguel introduced me to his beautiful SP2 and I was hooked. He occasionally rode it to the house but it wasn't until right before I left Japan that I really checked it out. I don't know if it was the incredible sound or good looks that got me. I suppose it probably echoed memories of sitting on a new RC30 at the Honda dealer when I was a kid...

So to make a long story a bit shorter... I got looking at bikes when I got here at the beginning of October. I justified it to myself by saying it will save fuel and mileage off of the GT500 =) I'm in a great spot to commute too (Southern Maryland). I work at Dahlgren Naval Surface Warfare Center. I looked at a few bikes but kept coming back to an RC51. I just picked this one up outside of DC.

She is far from perfect but that's how I wanted it. I like to tinker and it will be a fun project to "restore". She's got 38K miles, been low sided once (as far as I can tell) but looks pretty straight. I paid $2,800 for it. I'll be painting her to be a Euro clone. White just looks amazing on these bikes.

Ryan

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Welcome Ryan, really nice to have you aboard. Stig gave you a very impressive introduction in the opening post, Glad you decided to chime in. Stay awhile and see if you like it here.
Good luck with your RC51! Im sure it'll be an amazing bike when you're done with it. Maybe you could start a rebuild thread and let us stay updated as you progress.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome, buddy! :)

I got your e-mail, but it's late here - and tomorrow we have plans, so I'll reply after I get back on Monday night. :)
That garage of your's looks bare. Not for much longer... ;)

Like Jon says, start a build thread. There's lots of knowledgeable people here.
I think I may have recently seen pics of a UK RC51 on www.bikersoracle.com under the Honda > SP section. It's not exactly the same as the European version, but close enough, I guess. You could also look at the dark grey European version perhaps, as that one came with a black frame like your's.

I may be getting some specially machined axles for mine, as a recently met a Japanese guy with a very impressive TDM870 (tuned engine, etc). Although his bike was pretty tricked out (He was tickled that I could tell right away all the subtle differences from a standard bike, lol) the one thing that intrigued me most were chrome-vanadium axles machined from solid billet. Apparently according to him it's possible to feel the difference, so I'm expecting to send mine off for new ones to be machined. So you can have my front one for free to replace your damaged one - if you can wait. :)

As for riding in Japan. It's safer to ride here than in the UK, I can tell you that much! - People are quite aware & respectful of bikes, usually.
Besides, it would have to be a deaf person to not hear my SP2 rumbling in their vicinity...

Anyways, I'd best go for now. Good to see you on here and nice to see pics of your RS250. Great bikes - I rode one when new for a day.... I didn't want to give it back and have always fancied them since. Someday. :)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, get rid of those day - glow wheel stripes!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Welcome Ryan...being a huge 2 stroke fan I love the pic of the Ape, thanks.

Having owned many and still have 3, 1 RZ350 and 2 RZ500's I can appreciate the smog! Keep us posted, good folks here with a wealth of info and good deals too.

Ring ding

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That Mustang in the background ain't bad either....;)
You should see his recently acquired $600 beater Impreza now, then watch what it'll become in a year or so's time... Only a man with a wife like his can do stuff like this & get away with it! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts