RC51 Forums banner

I need help!

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Frank Rodriguez 
#1 ·
I bought a 2004 RC51 about 5 years ago now, my dream bike. I made the mistake of buying a cheap, needs work, thrown together one (I was young and had my blinders on).

Anyway, when I first started riding it, I couldn't get it to run correctly. It had a studder whilst trying to keep a steady throttle/speed. So I tore it apart (for other reasons as well) to try and fix stuff. Anyway, I ended up with a faulty fuel pump. I purchased another one. After installation, I couldn't get it to run!

When I turn the key on, the pump also turns on, then stays on. As if it's not priming or something? Also, it won't even try to turn over. I tried a new fuel pump relay and checking all the wiring. I'm losing my mind. I just want to ride my favorite toy. Please help me. Lol.

#2 ·
if the engine won't even crank there is likely an issue with the clutch switch/kickstand switch/neutral circuit

if the bike is not sensed in neutral, the kickstand down position will lock the starter and ignition out

if the bike is not sensed in neutral, but the kickstand is in the up position, the clutch switch will lock the starter out

these are things to consider if it won't even crank.

the fact that the fuel pump runs constantly with the ignition on could be a few issues, likely wiring but potentially ecu. cross that bridge when you figure out the cranking issue.

#3 ·
Ok. I put the kickstand down (didn't realize I had it up), and wiggled the clutch and shift lever around to make sure. The clutch and shift lever has never been a problem in the past. Still won't turn over. When I hit the start button, the whole system clearly goes under load and the dash dims a little bit. What else can I troubleshoot?

#6 ·
check that all the cabling is properly secured and the insulation is in good condition.

you can also just pull the positive off the starter itself and insulate the end of it, then press the start button. the starter relay should click but you absolutely shouldn't have the voltage pull down on the bike. if this is the case then remove the starter and pull off the end cap.

i've seen it happen where the brush material collects in the end bell and ends up shorting out the starter. clean everything up, check the condition of the brushes and replace if necessary, then reassemble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.