RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the Deal I sold my Gsxr600 being i dont ride it after purchasing the Rc51 so with the money i made off the gsxr i would like to put some cash into my rc51

Im already ordering front and rear tires and brake pads

the bike already has a Upgraded clutch and SS lines
Ive been thinking of a Power Commander but from some people Ive talked to that have had RC's they said the PC doesnt make much of a difference

So Im lookin for some help on to what i should buy

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Power Commander makes plenty of difference to your fuel consumption (at road legal speeds) so would be (and was) a no brainer for me.

Depending on the amount and type of riding you do, will dictate whether you want some slightly noisier, more bassy slip ons pipes etc.

A good quality Ohlins Penske or similar rear shock and some fork springs are well worth the money and may include changing the weight of the fork oil as well.

One thing that constantly annoys me with the RC51/SP1 is how fiddly it is to put the rear axle/wheel/chain back in so I may finally treat myself to some Gilles chain adjusters.

Aside from that maybe some stainless hex bolts etc for "non stress" areas ? such as the side fairing and screen mount bolts.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
the PC will smooth that thing out like you wouldnt belive its worth it. dont forget about all the free mods also. aftermarket undertails really clean up the rear of these.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Curious, is all the $$$ you made from your GSXR being spent on the RC51? If it is this could really get exciting!!

And I saw someone said you had an SP1? If that's the case maybe talk to Ben and clean up an SP2 Swingarm for the Swap?

I cannot say by experience, but from what I have read a couple must does if you haven't are:

Suspension: Kyle Link or equivalent (Ben),
Rear Shock (Ohlins, Elka, Penske) As already mentioned
Re-spring your fronts over at Kyle Racing

PCIII: I hear it just tidies up the whole ride as far as throttle response. Makes things crisp.

All your free mods (I'm sure you've done these or are thinking of doing them)...http://www.motophotos.com/rc51online/Mods/Mods Page.html

The undertail to tidy it up. New Lever's clutch and Brake. New Rear sets. New rear Hugger. New Front flush signal lights....

I love trying to spend your money. Like a bad ex-girlfriend!!! or a good one..haha

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
get the pcIII and get it tuned.

get some new forks, rear link, and rear shock.

save the rest and buy some track time and racing school.

·
Registered
175 Posts
get the pcIII and get it tuned.

get some new forks, rear link, and rear shock.

save the rest and buy some track time and racing school.
It is important to get the tuned part of it when you get the pc 3. A pc 3 on a dyno, in the hands of a competent tech will get the most bang for your buck. As for everything else gts stated is very correct. Work on suspension then a racing school.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pc3 will be ordered monday an I have a 2000 rc51 with a 02 motor an swingarm so I think I'm ok. I'm deff gonna work on the suspension a bit an the little stuff like levers an such ill work on week by week. track time is in the very near future an a week long trip to deals gap is in August

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
nice, keep us updated on what you do....look for some local trackday schools and racing schools. A lot of them are cheaper then you would think.....and they will make you faster then any parts will....even though new parts are always fun too

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice, keep us updated on what you do....look for some local trackday schools and racing schools. A lot of them are cheaper then you would think.....and they will make you faster then any parts will....even though new parts are always fun too
there isnt local Trackdays around me Nearest ones are probally over 5hrs away in NH or PA or NJ but i do plan to do some this year.. I do find myself Cornering better on the Rc51 then i ever did on my gsxr

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
the PC will smooth that thing out like you wouldnt belive its worth it. dont forget about all the free mods also. aftermarket undertails really clean up the rear of these.
I just got my PC going with yosh exhaust. You are right on! Especially lower rpm riding around like in the city. My bike throttle behaves MUCH better.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
pc3 will be ordered monday an I have a 2000 rc51 with a 02 motor an swingarm so I think I'm ok. I'm deff gonna work on the suspension a bit an the little stuff like levers an such ill work on week by week. track time is in the very near future an a week long trip to deals gap is in August
I still got a nice set of crg's I could get to you for $100. I bought them off this forum and they're in perfect shape. Listed on For Sale forum.

Be cool to get a few good upgrades for your bike right from the members of this forum. that's how I got my Scott's damper, levers, billet exhaust hangers.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
yep, keep checking the classifieds, ebay, and rc51parts.com you can find some awesome deals just wait and see what comes up.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
You probably know a fair bit of this already as this isn't your first sports=bike, but here goes anyways:

Others have already mentioned suspension, but look into all possibilities - there are others out there than the typical suspension mods people go for. If you get a properly set up rear shock you don't need to fit a different link.
Be mindful you may need to extend your kickstand about an inch or your bike may lean over too much and fall over as the back wheel lifts off the ground, especially if you park somewhere that's not flat...
To extend: First put spacers under the stand to check what increase in length you want, then scratch a line along the stand's length, cut - fit a tight fitting section of bolt inside and weld together - lining the lengthwise scratch up, building up as you weld, then grind off excess. Black spray paint & refit. Voila - should then have a longer stand that's not immediately obvious. Make sure the little extension to lower the stand with will still be accessible with use of biking boots before deciding where to cut!

Consider a Turnone carbon airbox & snorkel before mapping your PC. It sounds lovely and adds power / torque & for the cost is a well worthwhile. mod. It'll need to be well sealed, but if you fit it right works better the faster you go. The induction sound will make you smile as the bike pulls like a demented dentist.

A 19mm radial front master cylinder is a good first brake modification, as is an HRC quick throttle to make braking and throttle blipping for downshifts more efficient. Make sure you bleed your brakes with fresh fluid before a track-day and check your pads have plenty of material left. Braided hoses are good especially if the bike's done a bit of mileage.

Fit some rearsets. They'll position your body better for track use and you'll get rid of those ridiculously long hero blobs.

When wear requires a change, or otherwise - Reduce your gearing to 15/41 or 42 and whilst you're at it, change to a 520 chain & sprocket size. This gearing change will make it accelerate noticably better.

Go for a 190/55 rear tyre at the next opportunity. You'll find the bike turns noticably easier. Bridgestone BT003's are good. Remember to reduce tyre pressures before going out and re-fill as you finish.

These should make some good first modifications. Much of this & other suggestions have likely been discussed further by others on this forum before me, so use the search function. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
ROCK today because of the EPA rules , bikes all run lean from the factory so the power commander is a must . if you have a couple extra bucks get the secondary fueler also . Power commanders only adjust 1/2 of your fuel injectors , leaving the other 1/2 at facory spec. the secondary fueler (from power commander )adjusts the other 1/2. Bazzaz fuelers not only adjust ALL of your injectors but you can add electronic traction control to your bike as well. Unfortunatly Bazzaz only makes units for newer models .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts