RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I've been looking for a CB750 for about 2mths now...but my budget is only about $2k...holy cow!!!

Rather buy a brand new GTR, or cheap house for that kind of money.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
That would be a hefty downpayment on my house!!!

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Wow! - that's a crazy price. If shopping for something rare & high priced I'd rather have a few NR750's for the same money....:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Wow! - that's a crazy price. If shopping for something rare & high priced I'd rather have a few NR750's for the same money....:eek:
I am totally on board with you on that, Miguel.

The bidding is at $120,504 right now and there are 7 days left for someone to bid more.
I could have a NR750 + RC30 + RC45 as a deal package with that kind of cash.

BUT

As I read the history of this specific bike, it is not an out of the blue price for it.
For a collector's point of view, the very first CB750 ever came to USA, that actual bike that was posed on the L.V.. Motorcycle Dealer Show back in 1969 is a huge deal for the collection.
All it's parts are one of a kind (and I feel sorry for whom will try to replace any of them for any reason).
It is engraved with OHC on it's valves cover. Simply because Double Overhead camshafts back then, was a concept like flying cars is for us now. It was already a big step to the future, mounting the camshaft over the cylinder head and not in the crankcases next to the crankshaft.
Its gearboxe's primary axle is driven by chain :eek:
The clutch basket is identical with the one that Honda Astrea Grand (100cc) has, only a bit bigger.
The clutch actuation mechanism is the same like the C50's have.
Hell I bet there must be a Soihiro's hair dropped and lodged in there somewhere.

Although I would never give that amount of money for such a bike, even if I could afford it, I am fascinated by the idea that this is one of Honda's prototypes that laid the foundation for the company we have to thank for, for what we are riding right now.

So basically it's how much do you pay for that feeling more than what you're paying for that bike......

And we both know that we would be more thrilled if we had the three beauties I mention in the beginning parked in our garage for that kind of money.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
For sure, it's amazing to see so many bids for this bike and to such an eye opening current price. :eek:

I guess for some people it would be considered an excellent investment. It would go well in the Honda museum at Motegi. Can't think of anywhere else it might be of use at that sort of value & rarity. :)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
They'll probably be worth a fair bit in 35 years. If we're not reduced to fighting future wars with sticks & stones by then... :p

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
The thing is, that people who are paying that kind of money for collector bikes, already have houses. Houses that are worth more than what most of us will make in a lifetime. I'm sure they could also have any of the other bikes mentioned here if they wanted them.

Us mere mortals can only dream of things like this. I wouldn't ever buy something like a GTR, unless it was a second one and the first was a collector. That's why I wonder why someone would spend $35k for a new Camaro that will be worth $5k in ten years? They could go buy a nicely restored 1969 Camaro that will only be worth more later on.

Starting bid was $1969.00. Gotta wonder what his reserve was set at? There was also a bid for $150k, but it was retracted.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I guess our bikes will worth about the same in 2059 :D

Gotta keep them clean and running
It is doubtful that the RC51 will ever be worth much of anything as a collector. unless you have an early SP1 or SP2 with zero miles still sitting in a crate somewhere. Anything with any miles on it will be lucky to ever fetch near the MSRP again.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
It is doubtful that the RC51 will ever be worth much of anything as a collector. unless you have an early SP1 or SP2 with zero miles still sitting in a crate somewhere. Anything with any miles on it will be lucky to ever fetch near the MSRP again.
You always get it when I'm kidding....I like that :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts