RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, time for me to consult the brains trust again.

When indicating (turn signal) left or right the following happens:

Both rear indicators flash at the same time,
neither front indicator illuminates,
both the parking lights (small lights beside the headlights) flash in sync with the rear indicators, as does the dash,
no flashing light (little green light with arrows) on the dash for the indicators.

This all started after I changed the throttle cables and put the bike back together. I had the tank, air box, rear seat and cowl etc off.

I'm thinking I've disturbed some wiring in the process of removing and replacing the tank, air box etc and really don't want to pull it apart again if I don't have to.

Any ideas before I pull it all apart again would be greatly appreciated. Aside from the electrical phantom the bike runs great.

Cheers from Oz
Troy

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, it's a 2000 SP1 and the battery seems fine, it's been on a trickle charger and starts no problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
On the surface, it sounds like you may have a connector cross-connected.
I'm trying to work that through though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks subsailor, it's just gotten worse. Super frustrated. While trying to track the problem and unplugging and re-plugging just about any connector I can find, my bike now won't start. The FI light flashes 8 times and the bike makes a loud and rapid electric type clicking noise from the rear end. I'm going to walk away from it for awhile now - I'm thinking a professional may need to look at it before I make maters worse.

Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, much embarresment :eek:. The fuel injection light and clicking noise I think were due to a poorly connected negative battery terminal. I switched batteries with my other bike in case the source of my indicator problem was battery related and in my haste didn't connect it properly. Still got the indicator (turn signal) issue.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
^ Checked the fuses or the bulbs yet?

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I just sorted through a signal light issue. Take your time with the headlights unplugged and the ignition on (power) and unplug and replug each signal light and brake lights to track down the source. Do all combinations and observe behaviour.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
You said you had the tank off.
The main wiring harness runs across the rear frame section very close to the left fuel tank weld seam, and it's definitely not uncommon for that weld seam to bruise or break wires in the harness if it wasn't routed away from the tank while lowering it.
I'd check that area as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've checked the fuse related to indicators - but not the rest yet.

Bulbs work when switched to the rear.

I was/am concerned about the main harness under the tank. Can't see any obvious damage, but it does get put under some pressure when the tank is hinged up.

I'll try the headlight unplugged and look at tracking down the issue as explained by Kwtoxman. When fitting the throttle cables maybe something got dislodged at the front end?

Could this be explained by a dud flasher relay? My thoughts are the relay would either work correctly or not at all but I really don't know.

All the responses have been helpful so thanks Guys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved, well identified at least. Seems the green wire that attaches to the orange plug for the front left turn signal was loose. Amazingly it's no where near or related to what was removed or disturbed in the process of replacing the throttle cables - unfortunate coinsidence.

Does anyone have any good advice on how to remove the tiny terminal from the orange plug (left side turn signal) so I can reattach the wire?

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Problem solved, well identified at least. Seems the green wire that attaches to the orange plug for the front left turn signal was loose. Amazingly it's no where near or related to what was removed or disturbed in the process of replacing the throttle cables - unfortunate coinsidence.

Does anyone have any good advice on how to remove the tiny terminal from the orange plug (left side turn signal) so I can reattach the wire?
I found this site that offers the connectors and crimping tools...

http://www.vintageconnections.com/

I ordered their basic kit. Should be able to fix any of those pesky plug in bullet style connectors for a long time to come.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did my isolation post help? IMO this is the big first step.
yeah, this did help. It's amazing the effect one poorly connected/loose wire can have. And I was thrown by the fact I'd been working in a completely different area on the bike.

Will look into a connector kit. Would like to be able to just pop the little pin out to connect the wire back up like new.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It can be popped out. Male or female? Any idea what type of connector? Molex? Google "male" or "female" "molex pins". You'll see lots of info and pics and guides and videos, including tools and removal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All sorted out. I wanted to keep the original plug but ended up replacing it with some generic 'bullet style' conectors. I was going crazy trying to remove the pins (it's not a 'molex' connector - or at least not like the one's I was looking at on youtube) so ended up just snipping the wire and adding the new conectors. Sooooo much easier. :D

Thanks Fellas

·
Registered
863 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. I am having a similar issue. All of my indicator lights stay on including the light on the dash. The blink like they're supposed to but they're always on.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
If the rear signals are always on it is because you have a problem with the front signals. Unhook one side at the front at a time to see which side it is. The two power wires on the 3 wire front should NOT be wired together (except a few like me who have added diodes to the wiring :)), they should be separate as one is the running light on a dual filament bulb, the other is the signal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad you got it figured out. I am having a similar issue. All of my indicator lights stay on including the light on the dash. The blink like they're supposed to but they're always on.
Good luck tracking down the issue. I would recommend you follow kwtoxman's advise. I was surprised what effect one loose connection could have.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts