RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got around to installing my Ohlins rear shock and Mori Link today and deff need to extend the kickstand . I usually use my Pitbull stand here @ home , but I wouldn't trust the kickstand anywhere else . Looks like about an inch needs to be added . I have some 3/4' flat stock carbon steel that I could cut the base of the stand at about a half inch above the baseplate and splice that piece in at the lower end and grind and paint . Maybe a nut welded at the base . What are you guys doing ? :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I never had a problem with it, it's still in the bottom of my tool box, where its been! :p

But seriously, never had that big an issue, but I never rode it in town much, mostly mountain treks!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
To extend the side stand:

Measure exactly what difference of height you want to add by placing spacers under teh stand on a suitable flat surface. Remove stand. Now scribe a line along the length of the stand, cut in the middle below the piece that sticks out for your foot to push, find a suitable old bolt that fits snugly (M10?), cut off the head of the bolt, insert whilst adding the desired length, Mig-weld - making sure you lined up the scribe lines, grind off excess steel neatly, paint black and re-fit. You should have an extended side stand that looks OEM.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
But doing so will lose the safety switch. Easy to start the bike in gear?
I was looking for a better pic. the alum sidestand is from Scotts Motorcycle Service and I think I could have made the switch work,but used it as a super secret theft proof hidden kill switch right where the big bolt goes for the left lower (if you ever want to ride it);)
And I have never started in gear.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am all set, I ended up taking it to a friend @ work , a union fitter . I am having him cut it as close as possible to the foot and splicing in 7/8" of 19mm round stock , grind and I will paint and put back on the bike . I'll agree with you b miller , the bike probably wouldn't tip over on level ground but it looks Fn STUPID on the stand leaned way over like that . If it sank in the ground / blacktop just a bit , it would go over. Wing , I wouldn't want to pay $150 for one and according to Scott , they dont make one for a K2 . Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I am all set, I ended up taking it to a friend @ work , a union fitter . I am having him cut it as close as possible to the foot and splicing in 7/8" of 19mm round stock , grind and I will paint and put back on the bike . I'll agree with you b miller , the bike probably wouldn't tip over on level ground but it looks Fn STUPID on the stand leaned way over like that . If it sank in the ground / blacktop just a bit , it would go over. Wing , I wouldn't want to pay $150 for one and according to Scott , they dont make one for a K2 . Thanks everyone

What's a k2 ?:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Oh he means a Y2k , as year 2000 ??? I have NEVER heard of an rc51 sp1 or 2 named as this.
????

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I will get a couple more pictures of the finished kickstand installed and the Ohlins shock later today or 2morro but here are the before and after pics of the kickstand extension project . No big deal but heres what i did to my ( 2K ) :D 2000 SP-1 RC51 RVT 1000R :

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok here is a pic of the side stand installed and completed and as you all have seen before a Ohlins shock with a new link : :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts