RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a front and rear stand for my 2001 RC51 and cannot figure out how to install the spools. No spool tabs. I noticed a previous owner drilled a hole in the bottom of the swingarm but there is nothing else there. Anybody done this to their 2001? Any ideas? Pics?

Thanks,

burG

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have heard of this freak occurance only one other time. In that particular instance the person it was bought from changed out the swingarm for the newer 02-06 one and for some reason it didn't have the tabs on the bottom of the swinger for spools. Sucks that they drilled the swingarm but if it works go with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 2001's didn't come stock with spools or spool mounts. I want to put some on and cannot afford a newer swingarm. Has anybody installed spools on their 2001? I'm sure it's been done a million times....anybody?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Maybe you can find someone parting out a '00 model and grab the swingarm.
Hard to believe they didn't weld on spool mounts on only one year.
Yet the parts catalog shows them. Crazy.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i had the same issue. for cleaning the bike and chain i use axle spools. on the sprocket side i use a 3/4" top link pin and on the brake side i use a plain old bolt(1/2"???).

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?R=200315703&storeId=6970&productId=200315703&cm_ven=natural&cm_cat=netconcepts&cm_pla=Yahoo&cm_ite=CA

the tire cannot be removed so when getting new tires i have to use my old "slip and slide" stand. for adjusting the chain i put the bike on the side stand.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have an extra 2000 swingarm layin around that was in the process of being stripped I'll sell ya. Alittle black paint and your good to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
01 is the only one without spool mounts? Didn't know that. My 01 came with the Gilles chain adjuster/spool hooks and I bought some spools for my Pit Bull rear. I think they are pretty expensive, no? The Pit Bull convertible rear stands are nice. They swap between non spooled, and spooled. My old F3 didn't have any either, so I had some pieces welded to the underside of the swingarm then drilled and tapped them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. I also have an 01 that I can't put spools on. I just put a steel rod through the axle and put it up on jackstands.
Is the hole in the swingarm on the right or the left. I have what looks like a drilled hole in the bottom of the right side where the spools should be, but I couldn't see how they would have attach a spool to it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mine doesn't have spools either and it's a 2000. Huh, I wonder if my swingarm is not stock? Any way......The axle bolt is hollow, you can use a rod through it to go into your stand but that would only help when you do not want to remove the rear wheel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 01 does not have the tabs for spools either. I have been considering just getting the chain adjusters with spools, but do not know anyone who has used them. I assume they would be fine, but I'm too chicken to be the first to try them. Anyone out there have/know anyone who has them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I spoke with a someone from Honda about this since the bike I just bought has custom spools drilled into the frame, and I was worried about the effect on the swingarm and location.

He said that HRC reccomends drilling into the rear dropout hanger directly below the chain/axle tensioner assembly about 3/4" - 1" from the weld line. This it the strongest part of the rear axle assembly and has the least potential for contamination, etc.

This is exactly where my bike had them, and is about 2.5" - 3" further rear than the stock tab on the 2000 models.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts