RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
supposedly the factory installs the flapper valve to reduce intake noise and get by noise emmision laws. WHAT NOISE? i did the mod and can't hear any difference.
comments anyone?

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
The flapper had nothing to do with emissions, only intake noise to get the bike by noise regs.
Mine was already removed when I bought mine, so I can't compare.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't hear any noise that should require any extra attention like a flapper valve.

i don't get it.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Well, I've ridin with and without the flapper. You notice more noise around the 5-6.5 k rpms.
I think it sounds cool! :)
I agree. I could care less that many bikes today are faster.
I just wave and keep listening to my engine in stereo. :D

One guy asked what that whining sound was (cam gears).
I told him it was the sound of reliability.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This past Sunday Me and a Bud went out riding. he rides a new zx10. I wanted to see what the 51 could do along side it. So, we did rolling start 1st gear 30mph take offs. I was amazed that the 51 could hang with that bad boy zx10. Well at least untill midway into 3rd gear, then the ninja started pullin. BUT I could get him out of the corners! So I was happy! Take that ninja! lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
Also figured how 2 snap my right hand to make the 51 look at the sky in 1st... I love that feeling. Wish someone had a vid cam while we did the roll on. seeing the rc and the ninja go up on one. Would have been a good sight!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i hate "NINJAS"

"my dad has a NINJA and it's the fastest bike!"
"sure kid"

i would not trade my rc51 for 50 "NINJAS"

i am surprised to hear your rc51 kept up at all. i got spanked by a 1997 cbr900 on sunday. and i'm geared lower(-1 front)!!!

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Most of the bikes out there are beyond the capabilities of the average rider.
And today's hot bike is next year's has been.

I don't worry about the yearly arms race.
I just ride my RC and have fun. It's plenty fast for me.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
subsailor - you are very correct.
i used to have the latest and greatest gixxers. too old and slow for that now!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I sold my 00 Gixxer 750 and 01 Gixxer 1000 and now have my RC and have no regrets. The only bike I really miss is my 2000 VFR 800 that had the Staintune exhaust on it. Sweet music for sure and comfortable to ride all day long.

I need to do the flapper mod on mine as well. I will take all the noise I can get!

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
well i dont know if my buddy is that bad of a rider or i have just got a good setup but i spanked that shit out of his 03 gixxer 1000
From what I've seen, you're either the better rider or his setup sucks.
I have a buddy with an '04 Gixxer 1000 and his bike flatly hauls butt.
The '03-'04's were good years for the Gixxer 1000's.

·
RC51 Forums Moderator
275 Posts
From what I've seen, you're either the better rider or his setup sucks.
I have a buddy with an '04 Gixxer 1000 and his bike flatly hauls butt.
The '03-'04's were good years for the Gixxer 1000's.
Yeah, I'd say you're the better rider. Up here in Colorado, VTWINS have the hardest time breathing so even 600's will pull on a RC. Sad world we live in where we have to build cities almost 7000 ft above the beautiful ocean.

·
RC51 Forums Moderator
275 Posts
As for the flapper mod, there's a long write up on the 600RR.net forum. Basically, it cuts 1lb of weight and gives the bike a nasty grumble at low to mid RPM's. Horsepower wise, it may give you 1/2 a horse but it's mainly is for emissions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I sold my 00 Gixxer 750 and 01 Gixxer 1000 and now have my RC and have no regrets. The only bike I really miss is my 2000 VFR 800 that had the Staintune exhaust on it. Sweet music for sure and comfortable to ride all day long.

I need to do the flapper mod on mine as well. I will take all the noise I can get!
That's why I kept my '99 VFR with highmount Staintune!:D

VFR has a similar flapper valve, and I tried disabling it and found that every time I stopped at a light a 5.0 Mustang appeared and sat behind me idling. Well, it sounded like that anyway!:cool: I swear, the first couple times I actually looked around for it. Other than that I don't think it did much. Ended up putting it back to stock. RC came to me modded, and I'm leaving it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i think ur right about the riding i know my rc is fast but it has its limits.my bike has the flapper valve removed and the only thing i notice is as the last guy said a little bit of a rumble at low to mid rpms

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
That's why I kept my '99 VFR with highmount Staintune!:D

VFR has a similar flapper valve, and I tried disabling it and found that every time I stopped at a light a 5.0 Mustang appeared and sat behind me idling. Well, it sounded like that anyway!:cool: I swear, the first couple times I actually looked around for it. Other than that I don't think it did much. Ended up putting it back to stock. RC came to me modded, and I'm leaving it.
I don't believe so, but due to the angle is almost seems your VFR's front tire backwards.
One way it looks fine, the other looks reversed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts