RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post a picture of my old AFAM aluminum 42 against the new identical replacement sprocket. The original sprocket is about 5 years old. Interesting to me: I weighed the old sprocket in it's worn condition and it was 4-1/2 oz. The new AFAM only weighed 4 oz.

My bike sure runs smoother now. I didn't realize how herky-jerky the ride can become if you let your sprocket wear this much. I know I jumped a tooth on one occasion, that was a very unsettling feeling. :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
I'm not going to say a word about inspecting one's chain and sprockets frequently.
Yep, not a word. Not from me, no siree.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
I'm not going to say a word about inspecting one's chain and sprockets frequently.
Awwww...come on, give us a little sound bite.:D

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope you'll believe me when I tell you I was fully aware of how worn that sprocket was getting. My opening was supposed to be funny/rhetorical. I was being tender to my bikes throttle till I replaced it. I do watch my chain slack very diligently, and as well the rear sprocket. I knew what brand name components I wanted, but had to wait for funds to free up.
It's interesting to me, I couldn't see any wear without measuring, on the steel sprocket up front. That's why I didn't bother taking a picture of it.

Lastly, I'd like to mention Dan Kyle Racing for getting me the best competitive price on the chain and sprocket set, and Barnett clutch set. Mike was totally helpful and patient with my installation questions.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Jeeez John... :D
I'm not going to say anything either - too shocked at the state of that rear sprocket for comment! :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
plenty of life left on that one! cmon, put it back on and go ride the canyons..

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
2011-11-19131959.jpg

touche jondog, touche

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had the same afam +2 -1 and mine was missing 10 teeth and wore the hell out. Never again with them I now have a supersprox kit and it's great.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I had the same afam +2 -1 and mine was missing 10 teeth and wore the hell out. Never again with them I now have a supersprox kit and it's great.
AFAM makes the absolute best sprockets in the business. If you don't maintain the chain properly for both slack & lubrication then of course it will wear out quicker than normal which alloy sprockets are are designed to do at the cost of weight savings when compared to steel sprockets.

Having said that we weighed a Supersprox sprocket once that was a custom order and it actually weighed more than the OEM sprocket it was replacing and cost about $90. :eek: Now that is a FAIL LOL

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You changed it too soon IMO......:D
LMAO :D :p
That's too funny coming from you Makis!

I'm glad you reposted that sprocket erbgottie. I thought of that picture when I was taking my sprocket off. I nearly fell on the floor laughing the first time I saw it.
So to you I say, "No, no, touche to you"!
I think you could keep that next to your night stand for protection. If someone breaks in, you could hurl it at them like a chinese throwing star. :D

Thanks for all the funny comments everyone!

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Lol, not a problem good sir!

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Don't tell me, it ran smooth as silk over them nice round swells that used to be teeth:D

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Teeth... what teeth?
What I see on John's sprocket resembles a calm lake when you throw a pebble in.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Well, I was going to say something like: "if you have to ask you already know the answer" but this IS John we're talking about here...purely tongue in cheek I think. I do question as to why he let it go so long and let it get that way though:eek: I've seen guys (many years ago) run their bikes until the chain would literally slip on the sprocket with more than 1/3 throttle applied...they used to thing it was funny:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't tell me, it ran smooth as silk over them nice round swells that used to be teeth:D
Teeth... what teeth?
What I see on John's sprocket resembles a calm lake when you throw a pebble in.
More LMAO! :D

Well, I was going to say something like: "if you have to ask you already know the answer" but this IS John we're talking about here...purely tongue in cheek I think. I do question as to why he let it go so long and let it get that way though:eek: I've seen guys (many years ago) run their bikes until the chain would literally slip on the sprocket with more than 1/3 throttle applied...they used to thing it was funny:rolleyes:
Purely financial. I wanted a certain chain and sprocket set. I was real easy on it for the last several rides. It wasn't a gradual thing tho really. It was wearing, sure, but it wore out really fast once it got to a certain point. I pretty much knew by how the bike rode a little surgy-not as smooth as I'm used to-and I knew right away what caused the one clunk i felt when it jumped a tooth on one occasion.
Like I said earlier, I was watching this pretty close, and was riding pretty gently before replacement.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts