RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if there is already a post about this, I'm running the mobile version, but I just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong when it comes to installing the Scott's stabilizer. I'm not sure if I'm getting the order or installing wrong, but feel free to examine these photos and tell me what it is I'm doing wrong :) the Scott's stabilizer won't press down.
(Side view of stabilizer, notice the gap between the stabilizer and the triple clam fork thingy)

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1400704324.587777.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1400704332.150522.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1400704347.457061.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1400704362.168872.jpg

Here are some photos

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Apparently your bracket is'nt fitting completely over the steering stem nut. Just as you stated. But it should.
Back out all 8 of the allenhead set screws. My first guess is that's what's blocking the bracket. If it still wont fit right, then take the steering stem nut off, and just work with it and the bracket to figure out what's causing the interference.

It looks to me like you may still have an issue tho; it looks like once you get the bracket and damper mounted properly, then you may have a clearance issue with the damper arm and the pin it slides onto.

I'll go take a picture of mine and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You were right! I switched the stuff around and it does fit now, although if you view the second photo, that little gold thing doesn't stick out all the way. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1400707074.106038.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1400707081.295107.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
The pin you speak of should be removed from the aluminum mount, and lubed up then reinstalled... should be free moving with the damper. The plastic on the pin is what sets the height of it.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I guess I'm surprised your two tank bolts reach far enough down to get a good hold on the threads in the frame???
DH is right also, about lubing that pin. Slide it up a little too, if you're going to leave it mounted that way.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It is totally installed incorrectly. Go to the Scott's website and download the instructions.
It's not totally wrong.
You just have one piece upside down.
DH is right, but also wrong. JD is wrong but also right. It is not installed to the Scott's instructions, but there is a mod that many SP2 owners are doing on the SP2 install. By relocating the supplied bracket to above the tank mount and flipping it upside-down you get a flush tank to the frame. Doing it by the Scott's instructions moves the tank up and leaves a gap between the tank grommets and frame.... not ideal. This has been discussed on the forum not that long ago, as I found this out and did the mod. Works great, better than the Scott's way imo.

The OP needs to remove the pin, flip the bracket, then install the pin back on top...and install on top again as he did in his picture for the mod version. JD's pics show that basically. Also the pin slides within the white plastic holder so the height of the pin to reach the damper arms is adjustable (as DH mentioned). Read the Scott's links for their way.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
That's a great picture SubSailor. Huge difference between the new sp2 brackets and the old SP1.

Look at the totally different thickness of the new SP2 brackets compared to the older brackets. I think mine is from 2009.

Also notice, how the bolt holes are deeply countersunk, so that the OEM fuel tank/fairing stay bolts are still correct length.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts