RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time now for the January 2018 BOTM contest!

1) PM me with a link to the best photo of your bike.
2) Entries will be received for the 1st week, and voting will commence on the 2nd week of the month.
3) At the end of the 2nd week, the Bike Of The Month (BOTM) winner will be announced.
4) That month's BOTM winner will not be allowed to compete in further BOTM contests for the remainder of the year.
5) Those that did not win will be allowed to compete next month.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hey there. Not really sure on how to send a link to a pic for the 2018 BOTM. So here are some pics. Took me a couple years to build this 02.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
So the bike started out as a pretty nice bike to begin with. It had ladybird slip one, the turn 1 carbon snorkel and air box, but the rest of the bike was pretty much OEM and unmolested. It also came with a beat up 04 Hayden parts bike that was beat with a baseball bat by someone’s girlfriend... and that’s all I asked about it. So for $4300, I bought the bike and a bunch of spares.

So, basically I hung the bike from my garage ceiling by straps, tore it down, and then replaced any bearings, seals, washers and bolts that needed it. Bought a set of RK Excel wheels, Dan kyle did my suspension, Brembo RCS brake and clutch masters, core brake/clutch lines, wired under tail and front end the right way with OEM connectors, had a plating company electropolish a Jardine 2-into-1 exhaust with carbon Yoshi R77d, worked with a carbon fiber guy in Massachusetts who made me some one off carbon parts, including tank guard, exhaust hanger, rear hugger/chain guard, chain and sprockets, full service of fluids and greasing everything with new grease, and then re-assembling everything and tweeking the control area and making sure nothing is pulling, chaffing, or bending. There’s a ton of stuff I did to help reduce weight as well, like Shorai battery, titanium bolts, deleted rear pegs and rear fender, etc. then touched up any paint marks on the frame, swingarm and fairings, painted the radiators black. There’s much more to it, but you get the idea.

What I didn’t do was tear the engine down or do any engine or tuning work. It ran great, so I didn’t mess with it. I also didn’t fabricate any of these parts on my own. Basically I just had an idea of what I wanted, and tried to make it so. The only thing I would’ve changed is that I would change the color of the wheels to silver or gold. The army green doesn’t do it for me, but the wheels are top notch in fit and finish. And let me tell ya, this thing Was a beast in the twisty roads of North Carolina before I made all the changes. Can’t wait to run the tail of the dragon on it this year!!

There’s a pic of what the bike looked like when I bought it attached, as well as some more random build pics. This is the 4th bike I’ve done up like this, and I’ve got a pair of L-model ZX-7’s I’m building right now. They will be something special I assure you. Thanks for the interest and I’m happy to share any resources I have. I also have a ton of parts I’d you need something.

Cheers,

Ritz

Attachments

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Beat with a baseball bat? Wow! There's a lesson in there somewhere. Either the bike was too pretty for her liking, or it got more attention than she did, or both. Don't forget to show some love to your Ladies guys. Next thing you know, your pet rabbit is cooking in a pot on your stove, or some appendage is missing from your body, AKA Lorena Bobbit style! You did an awesome job Sig. List whatever parts you have available in the classified section. I have some decent OZ racing wheels on my SP2. I'd be interested in knowing how durable powder coating is. If scratches come easy, I'll just leave them the stock silver (bare) color they are now. Thanks for sharing! We may need to move this discussion to your other thread regarding your bike.

·
Banned
48 Posts
A build , at minimum would be complete reassembly. Do you tell everyone you rebuilt a bike every time you put air in the tires , because you removed and reinstalled the valve caps ?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Maybe he did that. A ton of people on here have dug very far into their bikes. Even if it's just to clean everything up and perform maintenance.

I see no problem with the term build as it defines the bike as a project they are working on.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Definition of the word build... construct (something, typically something large) by putting parts or material together over a period of time.

·
Banned
48 Posts
I never felt the need to take and post pictures every time I shit , but I'll mail you a zip-lock bag if you like. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
It's rude to scrutinize and criticize while ensuring you are free from the same from those you are critical of.

·
Banned
48 Posts
I'm criticizing the over use of the word , you're demeaning the mechanically inclined here by comparing them to parts changers.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm not demeaning anyone.

The guy spent two years working on a bike and he's obviously proud if it, his final result is a very tastefully done project. No need for some random to come and shit on him for calling it a build, then dodge requests to share his own work.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Good lord JCool, ok, we get it... you can magically weld and widdle every possible metal or other material possible. You win! But you have little understanding of the definition of the word “build”. So like any A-hole I encounter, how bout you just go suck a fat cock while you’re welding the nicest one off exhaust, suspension, or whatever bullshit you’ve built over the years. And remember, just because you can brag about you building something doesn’t prove it. Man, if I knew this forum was filled with dickheads like you, I wouldn’t have bothered to join...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts