RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone... I have what is hopefully a quick question today. Am about to send my OEM headpipes to Jet Hot to be coated. I've gone this route previously with the 50mm Termi's that I put on my 748R, however, they were relatively brand new and prep on my end was pretty much just drilling out the rivets on the cans and sending everything that was not CFRP or glass packing to them.

Such is not the case with the RC... It would appear that the flange on the headpipe for the forward cylinder is not removable.

Is this in fact the case? If so, has anyone ever had the OEM headpipes coated and how was this the non removable flange dealt with?

Thanks in advance!

ProphetPVD
'02 SP2

·
Registered
314 Posts
Something to keep in mind , they should be coated inside and out. If only the outside is done , the metal retains more heat than normal and the metal will fatigue , eventually you have junk. Some places will only coat unused pipes too.

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up Joe. I've gone down this route with them before however, having done the pipes on my Ducati 11 years ago. They do a very thorough job, and stand behind their work with a lifetime guarantee, which wouldn't mean anything if their work was shit... thankfully, it is top notch:

This was taken last year, and with the exception of some slight discoloration up near the heads they look as good today as they did the day I got them back.

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh man, those look great! :cool:

How much does Jet Hot charge for doing the SP2 oem header and what kind of time turn around?
Thank you sir! Yeah, they came out exceptionally well, and I really like the satin finish as it has a more functional appearance, as opposed to the chrome like "bling" of the classic polish. I was however thinking of going with the polish for the SP2 headers as they are going to be paired with a set of brand new Ladybird Ti high mounts, and Jet Hot's Titanium finish appeared from the sample pics they sent me to be a bit too dull.

The LBP's arrived yesterday from Japan, and looking at them now I am rethinking that decision. Here is one of them installed on the header:

Am having a very hard time deciding which way to go. The classic polish would be more flexible with regards to being used with either the LBP's, or the OEM cans if at some point down the road a decision was made to restore the exhaust back to a full OEM configuration. But the Titanium finish looks like it might be a closer match for the LBP's?

What do you guys think? Which finish would you go with? For reference, below is the sample pic they sent of the Classic Polish and Satin.

As far as price is concerned, the polish is $291.00 and the Ti is $431.

To get back to my original question, am I correct in assuming that the header flange which is on the main pipe is not removable?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks, that's much less expensive than I thought it would be, I have a spare oem SP2 header I want to have cleaned up and coated at some point upcoming, this may be the route I go. :cool:

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, that's much less expensive than I thought it would be, I have a spare oem SP2 header I want to have cleaned up and coated at some point upcoming, this may be the route I go. :cool:
Just curious... which coating would you go with to pair with the Ti Ladybird's?

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I like the satin finish better. I do not believe that flange is removable. I would give them a heads up and maybe send a picture, i'm sure there is a way to go about it.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the satin finish better. I do not believe that flange is removable. I would give them a heads up and maybe send a picture, i'm sure there is a way to go about it.
Dude... did you see the pic I posted above of the new LBP pipes? Geezus... those welds are exquisite! If anyone ever needed any proof of the old adage "you get what you pay for", they need to take a look at a set of these things! ;)

And thanks for the response re. the header flange... I toyed with that thing for the better part of an hour or so, trying to see if there was some way to get it off of there. I could find nothing. Just sent Jet Hot a heads up with some pics. Re. the finish, am leaning towards either the Satin, which has held up spectacularly on the 748R, or the Satin Ti.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
You gotta see the full system in person. Its art.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had my stock header done at Jet Hot when I was redoing everything on my SP2. They were great to work with. Coated inside and out and the flange stays on. Costs start around 150 and goes up accordingly depending on the coating you choose. It takes a lot of heat out the back instead of radiating into engine compartment.make sure you get the old gaskets off, and you'll have to sand the flange a bit to get the new exhaust gaskets on. Pro tip at no charge..:geek:

Let me know if you have any more questions.

57731259981__F2BD1F16-3DF9-43A4-9472-2C5E8D288E7F.JPG

IMG_4760.JPG
IMG_4764.JPG

·
Registered
2002 VTR1000SP2
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had my stock header done at Jet Hot when I was redoing everything on my SP2. They were great to work with. Coated inside and out and the flange stays on. Costs start around 150 and goes up accordingly depending on the coating you choose. It takes a lot of heat out the back instead of radiating into engine compartment.make sure you get the old gaskets off, and you'll have to sand the flange a bit to get the new exhaust gaskets on. Pro tip at no charge..:geek:

Let me know if you have any more questions.

View attachment 136003

View attachment 136004
View attachment 136005
SWEET! That looks amazing. Satin finish correct? What kind of shape were the pipes in prior to sending them?

·
Premium Member
2004 Honda RC-51 Nicky Haden Edition.
50 Posts
My first JetHot exhaust job was not impressive for the money I spent. I do all my exhaust in cerakote. Less expensive and the finish stays the same the day I picked them up. My JetHot changed colors around the heads. JMO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts