RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a few years I've since stumbled back onto a RC51. If you've seen my "i'm back" thread in the welcome section then you know my story. Had a 2000 model back in 08 rode it for a year and then moved on. I always loved the bike so when I had a chance to get another one I jumped on it. I traded a 97XR400R motard I built for it straight up.

I spent the weekend looking it over and it doesn't need a whole lot of work just a little TLC. Here is what I started with.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As you can see there are some paint chips, cracks etc in some of the plastics. Oh yeah and the damn thing is painted yellow!!! I will say it's somewhat of a good paintjob and the decal placement is pretty spot on on both sides. The yellow is growing on me a little bit I must admit. But it wont stay yellow for long, I'm going with the Castrol theme and yes I'll take my chances on the Ebay replica plastics. I've seen more good ones than I have bad.

Anyways after looking around here is what I came up with.
A clutch lever that looks like a half moon

And a shifter that seems to be bent the opposite way of the clutch lever??? When you figure that one out let me know.

Grinded down brake pedal

Janky undertail wiring (pretty common these days with most bikes) but this undertail uses the stock tail light so I dont get the wiring.

I was told it had a new chain/sprocket on it which from what I can tell it is but the chain is clearly the wrong size. I dont have to count the links to see that. The wheel is pushed way to far up into the swing arm for comfort and with it where it's at the chain is still on the tight side. Im not sure if I should just get a longer chain or go ahead and get a whole new 520 kit just for peace of mind?

EVAP still on there

It still had all the oem stuff on it like the EVAP, PAIR and a working flapper. So all that will be modded soon. I went ahead and did the flapper mod since its easy but will remove the whole system in the upcoming weeks.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went ahead and did some general maintenance over the weekend to make the bike my own.

I did an oil/filter change with K&N filter and 4qts of Castrol 10w-40 4T. Drained the crankcase breather tube (which was half full). Flushed and changed the coolant. Bled the front brakes and put in new Belray DOT4 synthetic fluid and just from a fluid change alone man did the brake feel really come in. The fluid I pumped out was as dark as used oil and kinda creamy like some how water got mixed in with it. I know brake fluid absorbs moisture but this stuff looked bad, like when you blow a head gasket on a car or something. I will do the clutch fluid next time as I was running out of time yesterday and didnt get to it.

I had a taillight and both front blinkers burned out so I replaced all the bulbs. The fuse for all the lighting was blown so I replaced that and all is well. Why it blew who knows.

The grips were the originals so I replaced those with some new Renthals

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
All in all I'm happy with the bike. It doesn't have any issues I cant fix or make better. It seems to run fine and the HMF exhaust (dont know much about them) sounds great and I looooove the high mounts.

Mods and updates to come.
Levers (received/done)
SpeedoHealer (received/done)
Front Pilot Power (on order/received) it has a new PP on the rear but the front is an old Bstone BT015
VFR800 shift lever so I can swap to GPshift (received/done)
Castrol theme plastics (probably order those next week)
Remove EVAP
Pair Mod (done)
Remove flapper
Paint tank after mounting new plastics
New 520 kit (received/done)
PowerCommander
Get wheels powdercoated white

Thats about all I got for now. I have a track weekend (not on the RC51) on the 22nd & 23rd so anything with the bike will be on hold till after that. I hope to have the levers in a couple of days so I can get it out and atleast ride it to work and back on Friday before I leave for the track.

After a good cleaning and a hit of Plexus this is what I got

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got my new 15/42 sprocket/chain combo in the mail along with my new VFR800 shifter so I can swap this thing over to GP shift.

The weather is supposed to be sketchy this weekend so I'll have some time in the garage to get this stuff installed and do the PAIR mod and install some new plugs.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got a couple of more items in. Speedo Healer and harness

EK 520 screw type masterlink. These things are awesome. No more jacking with a press to rivet the ml.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some updates

Made the swap to gp shift.

New chain/sprocket. Turns out the previous owner left the stock 16t front on and just replaced the rear with a 42. That's why the heel was pushed so far forward.

I like this spacing much better

About to get started removing the pair system, changing the plugs and installing the speedo healer. I forgot how much of a pia this process is

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the speedohealer in and programmed.

Removed all the pair stuff and JBL welded the plates.

Swapped plugs. Here's one of the old ones. Doesn't look to bad but better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
I see you found the deal at harbor frieght for those lifts. $300 is mighty tempting. The reviews aren't too bad either. A lot of guys on a local forum have been using them for years. I would buy one of their chocks for the front and make it even easier to load the bike onto it.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like he didn't have the right shoulder bolts in the lower fairing at the back by the exhaust. Same goes for the front fender. The right bolts will keep the plastics from cracking since they don't actually squeeze the plastic.

Number 17: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/hondaeasttoledo/Honda_OEM/HondaMC.asp?Type=13&A=509&B=65

The same bolts can also be used for tail in the front (replaces the easy to strip phillips/flathead combo screws) and the Frankenstein bolts.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see you found the deal at harbor frieght for those lifts. $300 is mighty tempting. The reviews aren't too bad either. A lot of guys on a local forum have been using them for years. I would buy one of their chocks for the front and make it even easier to load the bike onto it.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like he didn't have the right shoulder bolts in the lower fairing at the back by the exhaust. Same goes for the front fender. The right bolts will keep the plastics from cracking since they don't actually squeeze the plastic.

Number 17: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/hondaeasttoledo/Honda_OEM/HondaMC.asp?Type=13&A=509&B=65

The same bolts can also be used for tail in the front (replaces the easy to strip phillips/flathead combo screws) and the Frankenstein bolts.
Yeah someone posted up the $299 coupon for it and I couldn't pass it up. It seems to work well and should be perfect for me. I have a buddy thats had one for about 2 years now and hasn't had any issues with it. The chock that comes on this thing is garbage. Im considering a new chock like you suggest. I'll be stripping the bike down this weekend in preparation for my new plastics and to figure out why my bike is only running on one cylinder. Im also removing my forks to get them refreshed so I'll have to use my stands for the time being.

Good eye on the bolts. He used the right ones in the middle on the bottom of the lower fairings but nowhere else. When I get my new fairings I'm picking up some of the oe bolts also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What year is this? And are you able to order the plastics with the Castrol graphics already on them? From the pics the yellow doesn't look to bad. But I agree the Castrol looks really good.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What year is this? And are you able to order the plastics with the Castrol graphics already on them? From the pics the yellow doesn't look to bad. But I agree the Castrol looks really good.
It's a 2001 and yes the graphics already come on them. I agree the yellow doesn't look that bad but I wanted the bike either original or with the Castrol theme. The plastics I ordered look the same as above but the tail is just a little different. My plan is to get my wheels powder coated white to really set it off. I should be getting that done in the next week or two.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts